• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So, I took my wife to a show at the Old National Centre in downtown Indy last night for Valentine's Day. I searched for a firearms policy, but could find none. I found some old message boards, that indicated that there are no metal detectors, but depending on the show, security may check people.

In my case, upon entry, we were greeted by security stating, "be sure you have everything out of your pockets, purses and jackets open" - you know the pat-down drill. Approximately 5% of the men in line (including me) made a last-minute trip back to the car. (Fortunately, I paid for reserve parking, and had a spot literally right outside the main entrance, so I wan't worried about someone casing for smash-and-grab thefts of gun owners.)

The irony is: even still wearing my (now empty) IWB holster, and holding wallet, phone, and keys in my hand, security didn't so much as look at me as I entered - twice. (I was at least expecting to have to explain the empty holster).

So, based on that experience, it seems that the Old National Centre doesn't have a formal policy, and you may or may not get searched/patted-down by event security?

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    So, I took my wife to a show at the Old National Centre in downtown Indy last night for Valentine's Day. I searched for a firearms policy, but could find none. I found some old message boards, that indicated that there are no metal detectors, but depending on the show, security may check people.

In my case, upon entry, we were greeted by security stating, "be sure you have everything out of your pockets, purses and jackets open" - you know the pat-down drill. Approximately 5% of the men in line (including me) made a last-minute trip back to the car. (Fortunately, I paid for reserve parking, and had a spot literally right outside the main entrance, so I wan't worried about someone casing for smash-and-grab thefts of gun owners.)

The irony is: even still wearing my (now empty) IWB holster, and holding wallet, phone, and keys in my hand, security didn't so much as look at me as I entered - twice. (I was at least expecting to have to explain the empty holster).

So, based on that experience, it seems that the Old National Centre doesn't have a formal policy, and you may or may not get searched/patted-down by event security?
    I went to a concert there last month. I just had regular tickets, but I went through the VIP entrance anyway. I simply was polite to the door worker and made some conversation. Without hesitation they let me in. The advantage of VIP is the free buffet snacks and drinks. Another great thing about VIP is no pat down. I carried a Sig 229 IWB with no problem.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I was there for an art show last month that my son was featured in. I didn't know the policy but had my pistol in my purse. Nothing was checked and we were not asked to empty pockets, etc. when we entered.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    One: what was I supposed to do with it? And two: I didn't want to have to de-pants myself in the parking lot in 5-degree weather just to remove or re-place the holster.
    I had a really bad experience putting my holster on in Ft. Wayne. We had visited my daughter's family and I stopped for gas just down the road. I pulled my belt out while I was standing outside the van and looped it through my holster. We stopped in Terre Haute for gas and I reached for my phone to check for messages while my wife spent the customary time in the potty. It wasn't on my belt. I called back to the station in FW and they told me they had found it on the ground outside, called my daughter (last number dialed) and she had already picked it up. I couldn't do without it so we hoofed it back up, spent an unplanned extra night and drove home the next day.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    So I can walk into ONB branches armed and have done so OC on several occasions but hang their name on an entertainment venue and it is suddenly verboten? Makes sense.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So I can walk into ONB branches armed and have done so OC on several occasions but hang their name on an entertainment venue and it is suddenly verboten? Makes sense.

I think the determining factor is event-specific security. As far as I can tell, the facility itself has no formal policy.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    1. remove gun/holster at the same time. it's a novel concept...and much safer.
    2. waaa2

Gosh! If only I'd thought of that...

My IWB doesn't come out without unfastening my belt/pants. And even if it did, it certainly doesn't go back in without even more intrusive unfastening of my belt/pants.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    inconvenience or not it doesn't change the fact that it's much safer to remove the gun and holster at the same time.
    those who think they're too high and mighty to be bothered with such tasks or those who are just "that guy" and want to wear an empty holster...both are complete DBs

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    inconvenience or not it doesn't change the fact that it's much safer to remove the gun and holster at the same time.
    those who think they're too high and mighty to be bothered with such tasks or those who are just "that guy" and want to wear an empty holster...both are complete DBs

I didn't want to wear an empty holster. Nobody saw my empty holster, because it was IWB, and concealed beneath my re-tucked shirt.

You're welcome to think I'm a douchebag. Given your level of condescension here, I would expect nothing less.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    gosh Chip Bennett...your opinion means so much to me. I may need to rethink my responses above. I may have been overly harsh and I'm thinking of apologizing. Do me a favor and check back in on this thread occasionally to see if I've been able to bring myself to do so . thanks guy, you're the best...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    gosh Chip Bennett...your opinion means so much to me. I may need to rethink my responses above. I may have been overly harsh and I'm thinking of apologizing. Do me a favor and check back in on this thread occasionally to see if I've been able to bring myself to do so . thanks guy, you're the best...

Why would I expect an apology?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    WTF? :lmfao:

IBTL

Top Bottom