• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I try to shoot 200 rounds before I even think about carrying a new or used one I just bought. I have carried one to the range but always have a backup. I have always been scared of the gun not going bang.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Note: I had significant troubles with jamming once I started running the P3AT at the range... only with the FMJ rounds, never with the HP rounds. After a few hundred rounds however, all jamming issues have seemingly disappeared.
    Kel tecs are well known to have a break in period of usually 300-500 rounds before they will cycle properly. If you take a dremel and polish the feedramp real well it makes a difference and will break in sooner.:twocents:

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I admit that I have carried an untested gun but it was checking out a carry system more than personal protection. I agree that you are not carrying much if the weapon including clips and ammo combinations have not been tested.

In most cases I was carrying a primary tested weapon system.

I would say don't forget what you are carrying but in a lot of cases an untested weapon is better that no weapon.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    in a lot of cases an untested weapon is better that no weapon.
    Exactly right. Especially if the untested weapon is a secondary system. Most likely it will work. Most likely it will not need to. The primary weapon is trusted and reliable. If I get down to my back up, it will probably work.

And don't forget that in 90% of cases, the gun does not need to be fired to be effective.

So, in 99% of cases, an untested gun is not a liability. And more like 99.9% when we are talking about a BUG.

That leaves 0.1% of the time I'll wish I had brought nothing at all. I'll takes me chances.

I appreciate what everyone is saying. But absolute perfection in a defense system is not always required. I would use the word "preferable" instead.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I run at least 200 rounds through a gun before I'm confident in it enough to carry it. The 200 rounds also includes at least 40 rounds of whatever I'm going to carry it with. For me, that does not take long to do as I buy them to shoot them. It's just no fun to buy a pistol and then not shoot it. The standard practice is to buy it, strip and clean it, fawn over it a bit, oil it, photograph it (most of the time anyway) then by the end of the first weekend, shoot it. If I bought it to replace what I normally carry, then it's fired a bit more than the norm to get the feel for it and make sure there are no break in issues. That was the case with my RIA compact bought this fall.

I'm guessing that Mercop is right in the percentage of guns that are bought, but never fired. A lot of folks buy a gun just because then want to have one if they need it, but are not interested in practicing with it. The country is probably full of night stand revolvers that have never been to the range and most likely never will be. There are probably fewer, but still a bunch, that buy to carry but don't shoot them. I'm thinking of the number of pistols in purses or glove boxes. It's a shame really, as they are missing the best part of owning a gun. They are not much fun if all they do is collect dust and rust.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I can't think of any time that I bought a new pistol and carried more than just around the farm without shooting it first. I want to know that anything I'm carrying is reliable and I can shoot it well. I may not put alot of my protection ammo through it when I shoot it, but some always goes through, even if its just a mag or two. Some of those HP's are just too dang expensive to just use for range practice. And can also be hard to find, especially when it comes to 45.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Hard to imagine people doing this.
    When I bought my 1911, it didn't go on my hip until after I ran a bunch of ammo down it.
    I was carrying a perfectly tested and reliable XD before that. I test my guns with the ammo I plan to carry. It might be a bit expensive, but my life is worth the comfort of knowing my ammo works in the guns.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I am in concert with the idea of not carrying a gun until you know for sure it is reliable. That makes good sense.

That's why the new Kahr will not be the only gun I carry until I have a chance to run about 200 rounds through it, as noted in the user manual for the pistol.

However, I'm willing to risk it as a second gun with my Glock in its usual place on my hip. If you don't want to do so, I would say, don't do it.

Ditto. Main carry is a 38spl I've shot many many times. Secondary carry is a brand new Kel Tec PF-9. I have shot another PF-9 a lot, just not this one. But - it's just a backup. And I'll shoot it when I can.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Seriously...

Ok, I've followed the thread. I must say after going back to the shop, and asking the other guys, that people do this more than I thought myself. People I've questioned on this all return with the same puzzled look, and can't ponder carrying a gun untested. When presented with the "it's a backup piece" they were even more lost with the idea..

Pulling a backup gun means that all other options to this point have FAILED! Your primary has either exhausted all of its ammo, or become disabled. At this point you are literally with your back up against a wall, and have resorted to a backup...

Common sense tells me that my backup had better be the most reliable, accurate, and deadly piece of equipment I've got, cause if my first line defense failed, this had better not. In any case my first line should not have failed.. Imagine the thought;

"Holy Crap, I just pumped 46 rounds of hate from my Glock 19, and I am still in a tight spot. That didn't work, so I'll grab my back and hopefully squeeze off a few last rounds, hopefully leave this guy with the same look on his face I've got now!"

or

"Oh my gosh, where did he come from. I didn't even see him... Where is this blood coming from? How did he get my gun?"

Then it occurs he blindsided you, and took your primary...

"Crap, he got my ultra accurate, high capacity, smooth trigger resetting Austrian work of doom. Fortunately I got my back up.. Who knows where it's gonna shoot, or even feed more than one round cause it's never been shot. I've got it and thank god Steve put that fired case of reassurance in the case. My Glock doesn't stand a chance....

(FOR THE XD FANS FEEL FREE TO INSERT CROATION and XD AS YOU SEE FIT, 1911 FANS CAN DO THE SAME, HOWEVER... HI-POINT FANS.. LEAVE IT IN THE HOLSTER! :draw:)

So at this point we've come to put all my last ditch hopes, and pray all the great things I've heard about my untested backup... Hoping this will get out of this situation my primary did not.....

As for that 0.1%.... Nope it's not for me. I've learned from all to many experiences that 0.1% happens about 99.9% of the time...

Again I will keep track of this, and report back.. I am not out to make anyone look bad, just want to enlighten myself and others. After starting this thread it's occurred to me that even my thought process was a little off. Although I've never carried a gun I have not fired, a backup was something that was a "just in case" type of thing.. After asking a few more experienced shooters, emails from instructors, and some rereading of web article knowing your firearms in a variety of situations is more important than caliber, capacity, or how it compares to others.

Hopefully this keeps going, and a lot more input is shared..

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    While I think it is a bad practice...I have done it. Not with an automatic though.
    I feel the gun owner should know how a particular gun shoots, by this I mean is it hitting high....or maybe low? I feel it is not a good practice.
    We get a new toy and can't wait to carry it.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I would say never. When I take a new gun out to shoot it I am "taking it with me" and not "carrying it" because I will be carrying another weapon that I am already familiar with.

The only exception that I can think of would be some sort of crazy SHTF situation like Tinman outlined; where the choice is between carrying an untested weapon or having nothing at all.

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    I've done it. Sometimes you have no choice. It was a 9mm Glock which in my experience is the most reliable pistol ever made.

Obviously it isn't ideal, but you do what ya gotta do sometimes. Without going into details, it was either carry an unfired gun or don't carry one at all. I'll take the Glock, please.

Last edited:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Agreed

I am in concert with the idea of not carrying a gun until you know for sure it is reliable. That makes good sense.

That's why the new Kahr will not be the only gun I carry until I have a chance to run about 200 rounds through it, as noted in the user manual for the pistol.

However, I'm willing to risk it as a second gun with my Glock in its usual place on my hip. If you don't want to do so, I would say, don't do it.
    :yesway:

I agree with Randy and it is the main point. It's your gun, your life, your choice.

Terry

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I would not carry a gun that hasn't had at least a hundred trouble free rounds through it. It has to be tested successfully with the ammo that I carry. And I practice with my carry gun at least every other week at the range - two magazines minimum to assure function and to keep muscle memory for that gun. I do not want to have to think about it if I ever have to use it. I want it to be second nature, not a new experience.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    OK, folks, analyze my situation. This is real life stuff, not hypothetical.

1. My everyday carry gun is a Glock 27. I have practice with it and trained with it and fired hundreds of rounds through it. I am comfortable with my G27. I have not intention of replacing it as my primary carry weapon.
    2. I have tried a few pocket guns as back up guns, but for one reason or another, I've been less than totally satisfied. I've had both a Ruger LCP and a Kel-Tec P3AT. I still have a Kel-Tec PF-9. I've fired enough rounds through those guns to ensure their reliability. I've looked at others.
    3. I recently purchased a Kahr PM40. It is my estimation that this will suit my purposes. I expect it to be a great back up gun. I want to be able to pocket it and to carry it occasionally (mostly for driving trips) in an ankle holster, and perhaps occasionally IWB. I have purchased holsters for all those applications.
    4. It just so happens that I haven't had a chance to fire the new Kahr yet. Many reasons, but mostly because I can't fire a pistol out my back door like some people can.
    5. I've been carrying the Kahr to see how it will work out. I'm trying it in all the ways that are of interest to me. At the same time, I'm still carrying my Glock 27.
    Please explain to me how carrying the Kahr for carry-testing is more dangerous for me than leaving it at home. And then, tell my why you care so much about me doing it that start a whole thread to pick at it.

I'm not carrying any gun as a talisman. Guns are tools for the defense of myself and my family and friends. Please tell how I'm going terribly wrong.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I guess it comes down to what we're comfortable with. For me, I like to exercise them before I trust them, but if I were in the situation where I had the option of taking my main carry pistol and no backup or taking my main carry pistol with an untried backup, then I'd opt for carrying the untried backup. I don't know about carrying an untried pistol for my main gun though, but if its the untried or nothing for the backup, I'd go with the untried. My thinking is that if I'm reaching for my backup weapon, things have gone terribly wrong and it's better to have that than nothing. That said, anything I'd consider a backup weapon would get to the range at the earliest possible time to remove the doubt from it.

Back in November, I was at the LGS and was watching a woman buy a pistol and it was one that will probably never be shot. She had never shot a gun and was being prompted to buy one by her (I assumed) brother. Even the guy behind the counter was trying to steer her away from the one her brother was pushing her towards since she was having trouble with the safety and was saying stuff like she'd just leave the safety off. She ended up buying the pistol, which was a Bersa 380CC and I really hope she took it to the range, loved shooting it and had burned up most of the 380 in the Indy area becoming proficient with it. I'm guessing that was not the case and that her brother loaded it for her and it's probably sitting in her nightstand, unfired, with the safety off in case she needs it. I commend her getting a gun, but dearly hope she shoots it enough to give her the ability to make proper use of it.

In her case, the comfort level is supported by inexperience. That's nothing but bad. In many other cases, as listed in other posts in this thread, the comfort with an unfired weapon is tempered with experience and I can respect that. It's not my way, but I can respect it if the person making that decision has the experience to back it up. I wish them nothing but luck if it comes down to their needing the weapon.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Don't care, Don't care, and Don't care...

OK, folks, analyze my situation. This is real life stuff, not hypothetical.

1. My everyday carry gun is a Glock 27. I have practice with it and trained with it and fired hundreds of rounds through it. I am comfortable with my G27. I have not intention of replacing it as my primary carry weapon.
    2. I have tried a few pocket guns as back up guns, but for one reason or another, I've been less than totally satisfied. I've had both a Ruger LCP and a Kel-Tec P3AT. I still have a Kel-Tec PF-9. I've fired enough rounds through those guns to ensure their reliability. I've looked at others.
    3. I recently purchased a Kahr PM40. It is my estimation that this will suit my purposes. I expect it to be a great back up gun. I want to be able to pocket it and to carry it occasionally (mostly for driving trips) in an ankle holster, and perhaps occasionally IWB. I have purchased holsters for all those applications.
    4. It just so happens that I haven't had a chance to fire the new Kahr yet. Many reasons, but mostly because I can't fire a pistol out my back door like some people can.
    5. I've been carrying the Kahr to see how it will work out. I'm trying it in all the ways that are of interest to me. At the same time, I'm still carrying my Glock 27.
    Please explain to me how carrying the Kahr for carry-testing is more dangerous for me than leaving it at home. And then, tell my why you care so much about me doing it that start a whole thread to pick at it.

I'm not carrying any gun as a talisman. Guns are tools for the defense of myself and my family and friends. Please tell how I'm going terribly wrong.

I don't care that you do this, but when reading another thread authored by you an alarm just went off in my head... In reading one sentence in your post, a flash back of more than a few dozen instances of people commenting on carrying an unfired gun played through my head.. At that moment I left your thread and started a new one, as not to point the finger and yell "Hey, look at this!" I had to ask this question to a much broader audience, and to this point the only one to really step up and offer a reason, other than a few chiming, was you... The more you try to justify this to me I just think of a scenario that I wouldn't to be in with an unfired gun. I commend you on at least carrying a gun you know and trust. However using one that you don't know pretty much, in my eyes, shows that your first gun is the only gun you carry..

FOR THE RECORD;
    1. A gun is better than no gun!
    2. Not knowing how your gun preforms or works, means you very well could have paid 600.00 for a rock!
    3. Pro's train till they get it right, people who want to win the fight train till they can't get it wrong....
    4. People who throw stones, sink ships...

This isn't about you RMCROB!! Don't care, don't care, don't care...

Something that you have stated you do, did, have done, will do that I've noticed 50+ people doing has intrigued me, and persuaded me to dig deeper into this situation. If you feel I am pointing you out, using you as an example, then I apologize.

If this is something you are comfortable doing, more power to you. Carry a unfired gun that you expect to be a great back up gun. I however value myself, family, and those who I may be put in a situation to defend, more than that.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT RMCROB, IT IS ABOUT A COMMON TREND THAT I HAVE PERSONALLY NOTICED AND WANTED A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF AFTER READING A THREAD IN WHICH THIS SITUATION WAS OBSERVED, I HAD A BRAIN MOVIE OF A LOT MORE PEOPLE DOING IT, LEFT HIS THREAD, AND STARTED MY OWN. RMCROB THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU.

On that note... Let the thread continue..

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have personally carried with an unfired gun a couple times, only at times when I hadn't made it to the range before and the situation called for it. That being said, I make it to the range ASAP after buying a new gun.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Carrying a gun, that you have never fired is ignorant in my opinion. How do you know it's going to go bang when your life, or anothers depends on it. You should always run ammo, that you will be using for sd to make sure it functions at it is supposed to.

Top Bottom