• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Mr Freeman is very paranoid about weapons going off with out anyone pulling the trigger.(thats his right Im not saying its good of bad as I have a lot of respect for him)

I have no problem carrying loaded AR's Ak's shotguns or anything else in my truck. I can say this though they are always pointed at the floor board. Even though I know one person that I went to school with that was shot by his shotgun when he had an accident in his truck and the gun went off. I believe the slug is what killed him. I tried to google him and find an article but this was in the late 80's before interweb.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    What's the point of it not being illegal if you are going to act as if it is illegal?

If you don't do it because it is illegal, or don't do it because you're afraid someone may make it illegal then what's the difference?

"If a man neglect to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example." Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Legal isn't the same as advisable.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Legal isn't the same as advisable.

Ah, but the reason you gave was not to do it for fear that someone may make it illegal.

I ask again: if you don't do something because it's illegal or don't do something because you are afraid it will be made illegal if you do then whats. the. difference?

An example from another field:
    "A man who refuses to read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read." Mark Twain.

Don't do something because you are afraid it will be made illegal and you have no advantage over it actually being illegal.

That something might be made illegal if you do it is a bad reason to avoid doing anything. Nor, quite frankly, is the thought of a "freak accident."

Here's a potential "freak accident" for you. Tie rod on your car breaks on the Interstate causing you to lose control and plow into a schoolbus full of third graders on their way to a field trip. Then, adding to the "freakish" nature of the accident, a propane fueled city bus joins the accident and its fuel tank ruptures. Just as the leaking propane reaches the critical mix with the air around it, a random spark ignites it creating a fuel-air explosive. The result kills everyone involved in the accident and many more.

Everything in that scenario is possible. The odds of them all coming together that way are astronomical but, hey, it's a "freak accident." That's what "freak accident" means.

Now, as for the "freak accident" from a loaded firearm in an automobile accident, I point out that carrying firearms that way was not all that uncommon for much of the 20th century. Can you find even, say, three incidents of such a "freak accident" ever occurring?

If you can't find even three, is it really enough of a worry to let it drive ones decision making processes? You can spend your entire life worrying about the unlikely things that might happen and not even scratch the surface of all the possibilities. How about, instead, worry about things that are more likely?

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    If carrying a rifle in a vehicle with a round in the chamber was that dangerous, there wouldn't be a rancher or farmer left in my entire county.The gunracks in the windows are pretty much gone, but the rifles are still in the truck out of sight.(at least that's the way we roll out my way)

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    Do you have experience that you want to share with us or is this just 100% your opinion?

It is legal to spit into the wind. It's legal to finish a bottle of everclear on your own in an hour. It is legal to do all sorts of stupid or risky things.

Ah, but the reason you gave was not to do it for fear that someone may make it illegal.

I ask again: if you don't do something because it's illegal or don't do something because you are afraid it will be made illegal if you do then whats. the. difference?

An example from another field:
    "A man who refuses to read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read." Mark Twain.

Don't do something because you are afraid it will be made illegal and you have no advantage over it actually being illegal.

That something might be made illegal if you do it is a bad reason to avoid doing anything. Nor, quite frankly, is the thought of a "freak accident."

Here's a potential "freak accident" for you. Tie rod on your car breaks on the Interstate causing you to lose control and plow into a schoolbus full of third graders on their way to a field trip. Then, adding to the "freakish" nature of the accident, a propane fueled city bus joins the accident and its fuel tank ruptures. Just as the leaking propane reaches the critical mix with the air around it, a random spark ignites it creating a fuel-air explosive. The result kills everyone involved in the accident and many more.

Everything in that scenario is possible. The odds of them all coming together that way are astronomical but, hey, it's a "freak accident." That's what "freak accident" means.

Now, as for the "freak accident" from a loaded firearm in an automobile accident, I point out that carrying firearms that way was not all that uncommon for much of the 20th century. Can you find even, say, three incidents of such a "freak accident" ever occurring?

If you can't find even three, is it really enough of a worry to let it drive ones decision making processes? You can spend your entire life worrying about the unlikely things that might happen and not even scratch the surface of all the possibilities. How about, instead, worry about things that are more likely?

All I'm saying is that there are a lot of people who think having a gun is like having a ticking time bomb. These people don't hesitate to legislate based on their fear of guns. All they ever need to justify some idiotic gun law is some kid shooting up a school or some itjit giving a Mossberg a blow job. All it takes is an accident, and they'll come up with some "safe transport" laws that will have cops taking guns like this is Canada or something.

I think people should be free to do whatever they want, o long as it doesn't affect anyone else, but the fact of the matter is that many disagree. I wouldn't want to do anything that might help their cause.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    All I'm saying is that there are a lot of people who think having a gun is like having a ticking time bomb. These people don't hesitate to legislate based on their fear of guns. All they ever need to justify some idiotic gun law is some kid shooting up a school or some itjit giving a Mossberg a CENSORED. All it takes is an accident, and they'll come up with some "safe transport" laws that will have cops taking guns like this is Canada or something.

I think people should be free to do whatever they want, o long as it doesn't affect anyone else, but the fact of the matter is that many disagree. I wouldn't want to do anything that might help their cause.

You're still not addressing the point brought up. Fear of something becoming illegal isn't reason to not participate. They want a reason to outlaw the carrying of a handgun for self defense, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to carry a handgun for self defense...

You've not supported your opinion with any reason why it's not a good idea to have a loaded rifle in your vehicle.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A good way (and the way I do it and recommend to others who ask for my advice) is to keep long guns in what is sometimes called "cruiser ready" condition, whether in the home or in the vehicle.

That implies:
    • Chamber empty; safety "off"
    • Charged magazine inserted into rifle or shotgun magazine fully charged

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Mr Freeman is very paranoid about weapons going off with out anyone pulling the trigger.(thats his right Im not saying its good of bad as I have a lot of respect for him)

That's because Mr. Freeman had an 870 go off without any trigger pulling. It leaves a mark . . . about a .70 caliber mark.:D

A lot of respect? Obviously you are NOT an ex-girlfriend.:)::laugh:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    It is legal to spit into the wind. It's legal to finish a bottle of everclear on your own in an hour. It is legal to do all sorts of stupid or risky things.

If carrying a loaded firearm (and why should a rifle be any different from a handgun for this purpose) were so "stupid or risky" then you should be able to find at least three cases of the "freak accident" you used as a reason in your first case.

Go ahead. We'll wait. But I won't hold my breath. Blue just isn't my color.

All I'm saying is that there are a lot of people who think having a gun is like having a ticking time bomb. These people don't hesitate to legislate based on their fear of guns. All they ever need to justify some idiotic gun law is some kid shooting up a school or some itjit giving a Mossberg a blow job. All it takes is an accident, and they'll come up with some "safe transport" laws that will have cops taking guns like this is Canada or something.
    Those people will attempt to legislate based on their fear regardless of whether I, or anyone else on this forum, carries a loaded long arm in the car.

Note that the "don't offend the antis" approach has been tried. It's the approach that got us NFA '34, GCA '68, the machine gun provision of FOPA '86 (which was otherwise a good law for us), the Brady Act, the AWB, etc. It's the approach that has been losing for the past 75 years.

It's only when gun owners have gone on the offensive to reclaim their rights that we started seeing the rise in "shall issue" across the nation, that we got the AWB allowed to sunset, that we got Heller, that we got Nancy freaking Pelosi of all people saying "no new gun laws" when Holder floated an AWB II trial balloon.

By reacting in fear to what they may do, you are helping their cause. The extent that fear of what the hoplophobes and nervous nellies may do dictates what you do that is the extent that they have won. With you, at least.

I choose not to give them even that victory. If they win, it will be after a fight (political, at least). It won't be because I've surrendered.

If you want to talk about the risks of certain behaviors (like, say, putting your finger in the trigger guard of a revolver and spinning it around the finger like they did in the old movies) then speak of the risks themselves. The actual risks rather than invented or exaggerated risks imagined by the antis who, if their isn't a real one, will be happy to invent fictional one.

Nothing you do short of total and complete disarmament will satisfy the antis so why bother trying?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    That's because Mr. Freeman had an 870 go off without any trigger pulling. It leaves a mark . . . about a .70 caliber mark.:D

A lot of respect? Obviously you are NOT an ex-girlfriend.:)::laugh:

Man, I don't even have soft hands so I doubt that we ever dated. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    :ar15:
    i dont understand. why would they try to make a new law because i got in a accedent with a rifle in the truck. im sure folks hae been in accedents with there carry pistol. i dont see rifles as any diffrent. would it make sence if noone carried a handgun for fear of loosing the right?

i say its my right and ill excercise it as i see fit

I read it as saying 'If you get in an accident and the weapon fires from impact, there is a chance that someone will campaign for a new law called Billy Bob's Law if little Billy Bob was hit when it went off'.

For me, I don't do the truck gun. First, with 7 vehicles, I'd need to do some serious gun shopping to outfit them all but I'm paranoid about it being stolen more than anything. I've thought about putting my M44 in my truck, but even if I do, it will not be loaded. I cannot think of a situation where I'd find myself reaching for the rifle with no time to chamber a round. My sidearm is different. That needs to be available in less than a second, but having a chambered round in a truck gun can be dangerous with little to no real benefit.

I'd really recommend against keeping a round chambered in a truck gun. Is there an honest reason for keeping a round chambered? I am not saying don't keep it loaded, but chambered offers no advantage and lots of risks.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I cannot think of a situation where I'd find myself reaching for the rifle with no time to chamber a round. .

the only time i have one in the chamber is on the farm and usually coyotes dont sitck around long enough to chamber a round. on the road my ar is in the back seat with a mag beside it. pretty much the only reason i carry a rifle is coyotes.

Top Bottom