Carrying a gun thats not yours, in Colorado?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    So a couple quick questions here.
    My girlfreind is going to Colorado for 10 days. her brother is active military and when he reinlisted a few months back, he got stationed in CO.
    He is by all means pro-carry, especially when it comes to his little sister! she carry's a P226 with here EVERYWHERE, and mentioned that after a couple of years of always havein it, she is feeling a bit uncomfortable with the idea of being unarmed for 10 days.
    However:):, her brother (who dose not have a ltch etc.) purchased a P229 while home home on leave a while back. She usually shoots ONLY her p226 so that her comfort level is 100% with HER gun "and occasionaly mine just incase", but since they are both da/sa Sigs, she should feel right at home with the P229.
    Dose anyone see a problem with this idea? I have never really thought about "loaning" a gun out, but as long as the person in possesseion of the firearm is legal to possess it..... I couldn't think of anything wrong with it off the top of my head.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    She's riding on one of them new fangled jet planes:rolleyes:
    I know CO. honors IN Resident LTCH, so her license is valid.
    All you have to do, is declare it, and have a locked box, seperate
    ammo, and all is well... or just buy some ammo, as soon as you land.
    My brother flew with mine, out to Tx., and I flew home with it... Call the airline, to be sure...

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I didn't know that, so you can still check a firearm in and check it like luggage????:popcorn:
    She is leaving today, in about an hour though. She is pretty quite and probly won't go that far, and she probly wouldn't hand over her Sig in fear of loseing it some how.
    Still interesting though, I should have asked a little sooner huh. If thats that case I need to get a lock box, or do you think a lockable case like many come in, would be sufficient?

Last edited:

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    FIREARMS ABOARD COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT
    The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has established specific requirements for transporting firearms and ammunition on commercial aircraft, including the following:
    The firearm or ammunition must be checked with the air carrier as luggage. Firearms and ammunition are prohibited from carry-on baggage.
    The firearm or ammunition must be declared orally or in writing in accordance with the air carrier’s procedures.
    The firearm must be unloaded.
    The firearm must be carried in a hard-sided container. The container must be locked and only the passenger may retain the key or combination.
    All checked baggage is subject to inspection. If during the inspection process it is necessary to open the container, the air carrier is required to locate the passenger and the passenger must unlock the container for further inspection. The firearm may not be transported if the passenger cannot be located to unlock the container. If you are traveling with a firearm, pay close attention to airport pages and announcements. If requested, provide the cooperation necessary to inspect your firearm.
    Ammunition is prohibited from carry-on luggage. Ammunition must be transported in the manufacturer’s packaging or other packaging suitable for transport. Consult your air carrier to determine quantity limitations and whether the ammunition must be packed separately from the firearm. Because the level of training among airline personnel varies widely, passengers would be well advised to bring printed copies of firearms rules from both TSA and the particular airline being used. For further information, visit TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
    Finally, the United States Department of Justice has issued a written opinion that federal law protects airline travelers with firearms, assuming: (1) the person is traveling from somewhere he or she may lawfully possess and carry a firearm; (2) en route to the airport the firearm is unloaded and inaccessible from the passenger compartment of the person’s vehicle; (3) the person transports the firearm directly from his vehicle to the airline check-in desk without any interruption in the transportation, and (4) the firearm is carried to the check-in desk unloaded and in a locked container.
    Special Advisory for New York and New Jersey Airports: Despite federal law that protects travelers, authorities at JFK, La Guardia, Newark and Albany airports have been known to enforce state and local firearms laws against airline travelers who are merely passing through the jurisdiction. In some cases, even persons traveling in full compliance with federal law have been arrested or threatened with arrest. Litigation on this issue is ongoing.
    Travelers should strictly comply with FOPA and with airline and TSA policies regarding firearms transportation, avoid any unnecessary deviations on the way to checking in their baggage, be well acquainted with the firearms laws of the jurisdictions between which they are traveling, and have any necessary permits or licenses ready for inspection.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Right on, much appreciated guys.
    Learn something new everyday, I will advise her on her options.
    I talked him into a Sig and went with him to buy it at Midwest, so we are all good there.
    ^ She will be flying out of SB and stopping by Chicago.:n00b: I'm thinkin she should not have a problem with carrying his.
    <-- hers is pretty flashy anyway, they'd be like "what is that, little girl?"

Last edited:

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    I know I'm a bit late to chime in but from my understanding the only license is for concealed carry in Colorado. You may open carry with no permit. They do recognize Indiana LTCH as well so that should make the concealed portion legal as well.

As long as the firearm is not stolen, it shouldn't be an issue to whom it's registered. :twocents:

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    I am also late to this topic, but I feel that I should chime in as well. I am from the State of Colorado, and loaning a firearm is legal as long as it's not stolen. Also, for future reference to both you and members of this community there is a website that has all of Colorado's Gun laws. The site is a pro-gun rights group (I am a former member.) named the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners and they are an excellent resource!

Link for the RMGO: Rocky Mountain Gun Owners - Home

Top Bottom