• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frazier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    It seems that the .45 acp is the 'muthur' of all cartriges. One might consider the one cartridge that has a well thought of history. Stoping buffalo, bad guys, good guys, deer, bear, and just about anything else you want to shoot at. Consider the .45 Long Colt. In fact Taurus makes a hand gun that shoots that AND .410 shot gun shells. Just a thought............

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    size of the body is nowhere near an issue as size of the hands. I know a couple guys that are rather hefty but have small hands.

I have fairly large hands, but I wouldn't consider myself a large person (6'2" 210) and I can not use a compact frame Glock because I can only grip it with 2 fingers, even with the magazine extension. a full frame glock fits my hand well, and a walther p99 fits like it was made for me. try out the grips on all the various models in your price range and see what is most comfortable for you, because (warning: opinion) a gun that you are uncomfortable gripping will betray you when you need it the most. a gun that you are comfortable gripping and can get a solid grip on will be your best friend.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    You'll have a lot of people tell you Glock, a lot of people tell you XD, and more people tell you Ruger and then the answer that fits everyone, get to a range and shoot them all. Find the one that fits your hand good, you shoot well, and is in your price range. Actually there are a lot of nice folks on here that will let you test drive theirs if you ask nice lol. Look at my sig line if you want my suggestion. You probably wont need the sub compact though.

:+1: for the above quote as WARMACHINE pretty much summed it up!

Make sure you have shot several pistols as everyone has something they like better or worse about every handgun.

Don't through out the idea of a SUBCOMPACT handgun though. Take Glock, for example, if you get a Model 27 (which is a .40) you can always put a larger model magazine in a smaller Glock of the same model/caliber (with a few exceptions in their .45acp models) then get an A&G Grip Spacer to mount on the magazine, giving you a full-sized GRIP with a subcompact pistol. This can be done on the model 26 (9mm), 27 (.40) and 33 (.357SIG) subcompact Glock pistols. This can be done using the compact-sized mags (modela 19, 23, 32) or the full-sized mags (models 17, 22, 31). A buddy of mine is 6'6" and runs around 600#...and he like my Glock 33 with the Glock 32 magazine and A&G Grip Spacer, giving him a 'Compact-sized Grip' in his large hands. He said it felt as nice or nicer than a full-sized revolver grip!

Another thing to remember is that if you buy a Glock model 27 or 33 subcompact pistol, that you can buy the opposite barrel (.40 => .357SIG and vice-versa) for your gun and shoot the opposite ammo through it with no other modifications. If you wish to purchase a 9mm barrel, you would have to get a 9mm conversion barrel as well as 9mm mags to switch to 9mm.

Glock also has a replacement Slide Release with a larger 'grab' for your thumb to release the slide after reloading, making the gun much more user-friendly to larger hands.

Anyhow...happy looking and have more fun shooting!!! :twocents:

Top Bottom