• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • keith2210

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Ruger SP101. Rough, tough, rugged. Will take a diet of full power .357s and ask for more. Is controllable with full power .357s, and is a ton of real fun to shoot with .38s, even +Ps. It's not as light as some, but that weight contributes to it's controllability. Compact carry gun on the belt, or IWB, fast out of the holster. Simply an awesome gun. Mine was a 3", which I highly recommend.

You beat me to it Mr. Williams. The sp101 gets my vote also.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    New 642 2.5 inch

I will be picking up a new 642 this Friday. It has the 2.5 inch barrel with full length ejector rod and pined front sight. I'll post some pics and opinions in the Snubbie Picture Thread after I get it.

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    LCR is a mighty fine weapon! Very lightweight and with the Hogue grips, relatively light recoil. Do you have specific issues with it that are making you unsure?

I guess my issue is not actually with the LCR, but with the size of "pocket guns" in general. During the winter, I carry an HK 45C. I catch myself not carrying during the summer because of the lighter clothing. I just have not become comfortable with a gun that I can only fit three fingers on. That being said, if I am going to invest in one, I want to make sure I find the best one possible.

By the way, thank you to everyone for the great suggestions.

kaforgey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Camden
    I have a taurus 650 cia and love it but if I were to buy a different one I would probably get a Ruger LCR with CT

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I guess my issue is not actually with the LCR, but with the size of "pocket guns" in general. . .

I know what you mean. There is an ergonomic tradeoff that goes along with the small size.

BTW, I don't consider revolvers like this (LCR/642/442/etc.) to be true pocket guns. Quasi-pocket guns maybe? They're kind of on the edge of the enveolope, imo; very dependent on the size of one's pockets. I think of them more as the bottom edge (size/weight wise) of "real" handguns (no offense to pocket and other mouse guns, btw), just before one gets into undisputed pocket gun territory.

Just my :twocents: though.

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Like Smith's, but really love my LCR. They are a good pocket gun if you got the right pair of pants. Mine won't fit right in certain pairs because of not deep enough pockets. That's when the LCP gets carried.

dwp9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greensburg
    I pocket carry my LCR and S&W 642. I like the LCR the best because of the noticable trigger pull difference. I switch back and forth and like both of them for pocket/backup carry.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The LCR is a GREAT pocket snubbie!

Very accurate for its size! Great for carry. It is one of those guns I sold and hated myself five minutes later!

Vanguard.45

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I trust Smith and Wesson. Specifically, the models, 38 Bodyguard and 649 Bodyguard in .38Spl and .357 respectively. I have carried both in pocket but prefer a good holster for speed. Also Smith still makes the 642 w/out the lock. I would never own a gun with a keylock. I am a purist, read that...old.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Simple...

Ruger just announced that they are bringing the LCR out in .357mag, to be released in June. It's 17.1 oz, is a 5-shot, and has the Hogue (from the factory) Tamer Grip already on it. It's steel instead of aluminum, but it'll do the trick. :yesway:

Nice thing about Ruger's...their front sight is pinned on, not machined on...making the swap to a Tritium Front Night Sight a breeze (XS Sights, out of Dallas, makes one that just drops over the sight post and fits perfectly). :D

If you're not happy with a .357mag, you can either just put .38's through it or just get the standard LCR in .38+P. :shoot:

I have an LCR in .38+P, but my wife took it...and carries it, so I don't argue. When I found out about the new release in .357mag, I told her she could go ahead and keep the .38+P. She said, "Why, are they bringing it out in .357?" (I didn't have to answer.) She just shook her head and said, "Figures!" (he he) :cool:

I grew up with Ruger Revolvers and they are just about the most rugged things on the market for revolvers...you just can't break them (see avatar). I've carried an SP101 for years...and, while it's admittedly a bit on the 'heavy' side for carry purposes...it's been my 'go to' gun, my 'ace in the hole' so to speak. All of my Ruger's are very accurate weapons and I would hesitate to grab any one of them for defensive purposes (except for the .22lr...but not because of the gun, but because of the ammo...unless there's nothing else available, of course.) :shoot:

If you buy another gun, you will have to pay more for the 'extras', like a Hogue Grip, and it would cost more to have the front sight milled off and a night sight installed (by a gunsmith) rather than drop a night sight on a Ruger and tap the pin back in place. :twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom