• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    The LCR is a fine carry weapon, fits in the front pocket nicely!!! You will not be disappointed

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    It's a bit heavy for pocket carry in summer clothing, but I really like my S&W 640 (.357 magnum, stainless steel). I carry it IWB in the summer and occasionally in a pocket holster when I'm wearing heavier pants rather than shorts, and with Crimson Trace grips I feel it's a pretty reliable package. I continue to think about the much-lighter 642 or 442, but if I'm only carrying 5 rounds, it's nice to know they're .357s. I suspect that a well-chosen .357 cartridge through the 640 may not have much more recoil than a .38 does through a 642/442, given the different in the guns' weight.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    LCR is a mighty fine weapon! Very lightweight and with the Hogue grips, relatively light recoil. Do you have specific issues with it that are making you unsure?

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    2nd. vote for the S&W 640. Although about the heaviest snub nose, it makes recoil much more manageable. Very nice to shoot, which equates to very nice to practice with.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I carry a Taurus Titanium .38. I have for years and love it. Kinda heavy on recoil though.

Mine is the Taurus total Titanium model 605 5-shot .357mag. 2"bbl
    Kicks like a mule, and with full-load .357's you can roast an intruder up to about 2 feet in front of your arm! :D but I like it anyway!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Ruger SP101. Rough, tough, rugged. Will take a diet of full power .357s and ask for more. Is controllable with full power .357s, and is a ton of real fun to shoot with .38s, even +Ps. It's not as light as some, but that weight contributes to it's controllability. Compact carry gun on the belt, or IWB, fast out of the holster. Simply an awesome gun. Mine was a 3", which I highly recommend.

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    For a carry gun, I'd go with a Smith and Wesson steel .357 magnum. Easy enough to practice with .38special and carry a whopping SD round. Plus Smith and Wesson has great customer service, fantastic triggers, and they feel great in hand to just about everyone I've talked to.

+1 on the S&W 640. You won't be sorry.
    ~LT

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I haven't owned one, but like you, I'm thinking LCR. I used to pocket carry a Taurus 650 (very similar to S&W 640), and it was HEAVY. I carried a 442 for awhile too, but I think I would prefer the LCR. The triggers on the Smith and Taurus were brutal, but the LCRs is supposed to be a little easier as well.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I like the LCR. Compared to the Smith's, 442/642 side-by-side, they are noticeably lighter and have better triggers. The LCR is also less expensive and has no politically correct lock hole in the side of the frame. I can use/or not the storeage lock inside the grip, and have heard no reports of lock failures deactivating the gun at an inopportune moment (unlike S&W). They were introduced a year ago, and the production bugs seem to be worked out. If it fits your hand, I can't think of any disadvantages.

Even S&W recognizes the merit of the concept and has their own polymer hybrid revolver in the works.

Top Bottom