• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone have any knowledge on legally carrying a sidearm while on school property?

As a LTCH holder, my son's play sports at local schools. My youngest is playing football at Franklin Township. The practice on school property, can I have on my person or locked in my vehicle my sidearm?

Thanks for the feedback!

Glocker39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Does anyone have any knowledge on legally carrying a sidearm while on school property?

As a LTCH holder, my son's play sports at local schools. My youngest is playing football at Franklin Township. The practice on school property, can I have on my person or locked in my vehicle my sidearm?

Thanks for the feedback!

0 tolerance on any school property, even in your car.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

I agree 100%. Don't - ever. There's is only one exception - having a firearm in your car with a valid LTCH while picking up or dropping off someone on school property - but that is limited to while you are operating the vehicle.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Another exception: If you can wrangle authorization from the superintendent / school board to act as security, then you'd be allowed your firearm on your person. Good luck with that...

-J-

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

Unless you are picking up/dropping off, AND you don't exit the vehicle.

It sucks but thems the breaks..... for now hopefully someone will open their eyes and see that we aren't the ones causeing the problems.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses
    IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 0.1. The addition of this chapter by P.L.140-1994 applies to crimes committed after June 30, 1994.
    As added by P.L.220-2011, SEC.624.

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

^^^THIS^^^
    (with a minor clarification)

Indiana allows you to pick up or drop off your children at school while you have a firearm. However, if you get out of your vehicle, you are in violation of the law. If you pull onto school property with a firearm for any reason other than to pick up or drop off a student, you are in violation of the law. If you store a firearm in your vehicle on school property unloaded, inaccessible, broken down, and in a locked container... you are still in violation of the law. ;)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Are college campuses considered "school" property? I did not see where the statutes clearly defined "school". I remember reading somthing where it is considered to be any educational institute which is state sanctioned or something along those lines I don't quite remember. In any case, my point being that while the current law is obviously targeting schools for young children and high school aged kids which are not supposed to be in posession of a handgun anyway, but what about college campuses which are comprised primarily of legal aged adults. Although, I'm sure everyone here would agree that it's safer to not test it, it is still a valid point to make in regards to our current laws.....personally, I say what people don't know, won't hurt them....citizens should not have to sacrifice their security in transit from one place where it is legal to another where it is not...and attacks can obviously occur anywhere

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Are college campuses considered "school" property? I did not see where the statutes clearly defined "school".

No.

IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    thank you ATM....I leave it in my vehicle anyway while at campus...but still good to know the laws considering how many "law ignorant police officers" there are in Indy

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It is probably still against school policy and may get you expelled (if a student) or fired (if an employee) or expired (if, like, a teaching assistant or something), but it's not illegal.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    eh...what they don't know...wont hurt them....safety is more important to me...especially since campus "police" are simply 3rd year criminal justice students who look like they are fresh out of junior high....I feel safer by myself, unarmed than with one of them nearby...lol...in any case there will always be other schools...I don't have to accept organizations which choose to "exercise their rights" which happen to prevent me from exercising mine

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It is probably still against school policy and may get you expelled (if a student) or fired (if an employee) or expired (if, like, a teaching assistant or something), but it's not illegal.

How can you be fired for it?

Doesn't that new law protect against being fired over keeping a gun in your car as long as it's a lawful place to do so?

Top Bottom