• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Hello all. I was convicted on a OWI charge last year. Just a misdemeanor. It is the only thing on my record and im on unsupervised probation. Will this owi keep me from being approved on getting a license to carry? I also read my probation papers/guide lines and it says nothing about firearms. Thank you to anyone that responds!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Hello all. I was convicted on a OWI charge last year. Just a misdemeanor. It is the only thing on my record and im on unsupervised probation. Will this owi keep me from being approved on getting a license to carry? I also read my probation papers/guide lines and it says nothing about firearms. Thank you to anyone that responds!

First, talk to your probation officer and make sure there are no weapons restrictions. There almost always are.

Second, you need to look at IC 35-47-1-7 and see if you meet the proper person definition. Make sure you don't fall under the 35-47-1-2 definition of a alcohol abuser.

I do not know of a blanket prohibition on probationers, but I would also be surprised if ISP didn't give you alot of hassle. You might just want to wait until your period of probation is over.

Best,

Joe

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011

Even if firearms are prohibited while you are on probation you don't have to own a firearm to get a ltch.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Talk to your probation officer about possessing firearms, just to make sure on that front. I don't see why you wouldn't get the ltch, though. I got mine when I was in the exact same boat as you and was able to have/buy firearms also. You shouldn't have any issues at all.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    IANAL--- BUT the OP does say UNSUPERVISED probation. I was under the impression, due to some family members, friends and as a former deputy in MI, that unsupervised probation means you do not report to or ha e a probation officer. I was always under the impression that UNsupervised probation meant that if you were caught again for something it showed up in the data basdd when your info was ran.
    That being said and if it is true the OP will not be able to contact THEIR probation officer since they dont have one to report to. I would contact your local law enforcement first and if they do not know contact the State Police, if they dont have the answer apply for it and see what happens. You DONOT ha e to posses a pistol or revolver in order to have the license that says you are able to carry one.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    When I was on the unsupervised probation I had a contact that took over my case. Not the same as the standard probation, but still had a probation "officer" I could contact or could yank the chain in if I screwed up or otherwise need be.

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN

Keep in mind that all proby dept's are different, Talk to your PO and find out if you are allowed to possess a firearm. That being said, I applied for and received my LTCH while on probation for OWI.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I was able to get a hold of my probation officer. But their known by case managers here. She said I can have firearms and I am allowed to get a carry permit and carry while still on probation. Since I did not receive a felony charge, ii have no problem. She did say that when I apply that the people issuing the permit would have to contact her and ask questions. So hopefully I will be able to obtain a permit with no problems.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Honestly I was parked with the car turned on waiting for my friend. That's when the cops came because I was on private property apparently with no sign. But that's no excuse. I was stupid and careless. But trust me, if been through enough classes and be littled enough. I learned from my mistake and advise all to not do it period. Let's me ask you a question, your telling me that when you were younger you never went out for the night and drank, thinking that you were fine to drive?

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    Honestly I was parked with the car turned on waiting for my friend. That's when the cops came because I was on private property apparently with no sign. But that's no excuse. I was stupid and careless. But trust me, if been through enough classes and be littled enough. I learned from my mistake and advise all to not do it period. Let's me ask you a question, your telling me that when you were younger you never went out for the night and drank, thinking that you were fine to drive?
    he probably never did, most people here on INGO have never, ever, made a mistake. :rolleyes:

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Yeah I can tell that by his very conservative question. I came on here looking for advice, not a pep talk. Im doing my time for my mistake. It has nothing to do with a gun or carry permit. Which is why I posted asking about that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom