• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    So what you're saying is that we, as Indiana Citizens, have more rights granted to us under the Bill of Rights than other citizens in other states?

Can you quantify that?

No, I'm not saying that. Maybe I misunderstood the question. I understood it to mean that other states are more lax in following the Bill of Rights, or in other words, other states do not follow the Bill of Rights as well as Indiana does. So, my answer is yes, I do believe states like IL, NY, CA and now CO do not follow the Bill of Rights like they ought to.

Again, maybe I misunderstood. I believe that all citizens of the US, regardless of the state, have the same rights under the Bill of Rights. But, I do not believe that all states honor those rights equally. I believe that IN does a better job than most, which is why I choose to live here. I'm not from here, I can afford to live in any state. I choose this state because I believe it is still one of the most "normal" (my definition), at least to an ultra-conservative, gun-loving, Bible-believing middle-aged, straight dude like myself.

So, to clarify, I believe that we all have the same rights, but they are not honored the same in every state.

That's all I was trying to say. Not trying to start yet another argument :)

sassdan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    brick house off cent
    I'd comply, make friends with him, show that I'm one of the good guys, offer him some of my homemade sweet tea, tell him that he and his coworkers are always welcome to stop by and would he mind keeping an eye on my place whenever he is patroling the area.

I know that's not a very INGO thing to say, but it's my honest answer.

+1

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    No, I'm not saying that. Maybe I misunderstood the question. I understood it to mean that other states are more lax in following the Bill of Rights, or in other words, other states do not follow the Bill of Rights as well as Indiana does. So, my answer is yes, I do believe states like IL, NY, CA and now CO do not follow the Bill of Rights like they ought to.
    Wasn't trying to call you out - was just looking for clarification and that's exactly what you posted :).

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Has this EVER happened to anybody?

Yes read all the posts.

Also to add to the debate. Let's say your video taping cops across the street. They come over demanding you stop. Then realize you are OCing and thus cuff you and disarm you. Finally arrest you for refusal of IDing yourself.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I know of a burglar who acted like he lived there and it was his house and let my friend in, hence the basis of my scenario.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What do you do if a cop comes up and starts questioning you/asking for I'd because you are carrying on your own property?

Funny you should ask a question like this.

My better half told me of an incident by us just East of Fayette, IN that occurred about a week or so ago.

This is a RURAL area that was recently annexed by Whitestown, IN AGAINST the will of the residents.

A neighbor shoots on their own property as they have for years.

Suddenly out of nowhere, a Whitestown cop snuck up and holds them at gunpoint with their hands behind their heads waving a gun around and calls for backup.
    (acting like Barney Fife waving a gun around, which in REAL life would be scary)

A Supervisor gets there and defuses things.

They showed their LTCH (which I don't know why you need on private property)

Seems "Officer Fife" was a "new guy" according to the Supervisor, and it was all a "mistake".

This kind of STUPIDITY serves no positive purpose.

But it's not surprising coming from Whitestown...

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My response would depend entirely on the cop's demeanor and how many buddies he has with him.
    If it's one cop who is being polite, I'll politely inform him that I'm on my land, and that I have every right to carry on it, then ask him what's going on, if I can be of assistance, and if he would like some lemonade or water on this nice day. (Can't imagine me being outside on my property if the weather sucked) All within the same statement so he didn't have time to posture.

If he was being a dick I would begin recording the interaction with my phone (making sure to get his name tag on the camera), curtly tell him that he is trespassing on my property and to get off before his superiors are informed. If he were to get really confrontational and threatening (which is quite unlikely unless he's insane or drunk), I would inform him that, I don't want trouble, but, if he gets violent with me, he will be committing a crime according to IN law, and I'll be within my rights to respond in kind, then I would start backing off inside and would begin calling the elected officials I helped get into office. At all times my voice would not be raised, but would be firm.

If it were a SWAT team charging on my property I would put my hands up, again with phone on and recording, and ask to see the warrant. No warrant = me going inside and calling the authorities, my state senator, my councilman, and the mayor's office. Then I would be calling a few reporters that I've dealt with before. By the time I was done with them, heads would roll. If punishments failed to be handed out, I would mark the names of the commanding officers involved, and once I was elected to an office of my own, I would pull strings to screw them as badly as possible later on.

I can be vindictive when it comes to the abuse of government power against the common citizen....:rules:

Last edited:

Shift

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I'd comply, make friends with him, show that I'm one of the good guys, offer him some of my homemade sweet tea, tell him that he and his coworkers are always welcome to stop by and would he mind keeping an eye on my place whenever he is patroling the area.

I know that's not a very INGO thing to say, but it's my honest answer.

Why would u ever invite a cop into your house?

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Why would u ever invite a cop into your house?

I'm in my 40's. I've had MANY cops in my houses over the years. Guess what? Not one of them has thrown a kilo of coke under the couch when I wasn't looking.

Maybe it's just me, I do realize I'm something of an anomaly on this board, but I really don't think cops are the bad guys. I've never had a bad experience with one. Well, there was this one SC state trooper one time that was a little over zealous with writing a speeding ticket but that's about it.

Personally, I don't feel cops are trying to take my guns away, are part of the new world order or spend their days trying to figure out how to destroy my life and make the federal government bigger. Any more than I think firemen are, paramedics are, teachers are or any of the other local gov workers.

Again, that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to recruit any followers.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Has this EVER happened to anybody?

I had Porter County Deputies called on me for shooting on my property. They never even asked for my ID. Just made sure we were shooting at something safe, told me there was nothing wrong with shooting and left. I think they even told the guy that called them that it was OK for me and my guests to be shooting.

Top Bottom