• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    What do you do if a cop comes up and starts questioning you/asking for I'd because you are carrying on your own property?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would probably ask him what's up. If they're looking for a bank robber or some escaped fugitive and they're trying to make sure real quick I'm not him I'll show them.

I don't want to be pushed around, but I'm not going to be a dick just to be a dick (not to strangers, I will totally do that to people I know). Sometimes cops are doing important ****.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I'd comply, make friends with him, show that I'm one of the good guys, offer him some of my homemade sweet tea, tell him that he and his coworkers are always welcome to stop by and would he mind keeping an eye on my place whenever he is patroling the area.

I know that's not a very INGO thing to say, but it's my honest answer.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'd comply, make friends with him, show that I'm one of the good guys, offer him some of my homemade sweet tea, tell him that he and his coworkers are always welcome to stop by and would he mind keeping an eye on my place whenever he is patroling the area.

I must say,I do like this answer.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County

Nothing wrong with that - your property, your rules. :)

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    did this happen or is this just a general question?

Not to me but yes. He was arrested for refusal to ID. Spent the night in jail. Prosecutors didn't charge him with anything as they obviously knew the officers were in the wrong.

Thus it has got me thinking as if you needed to prove you were the property owner or on someone's property and had thier blessing to carry (if you don't have your LTCH)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Not to me but yes. He was arrested for refusal to ID. Spent the night in jail. Prosecutors didn't charge him with anything as they obviously knew the officers were in the wrong.

Thus it has got me thinking as if you needed to prove you were the property owner or on someone's property and had thier blessing to carry (if you don't have your LTCH)
    I don't think you have to prove you have control over the property, I believe they have to prove you're not the one with control over the property.

That said - if I were this individual, I would speak with an attorney.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville

If that were the case, I'd go from neighbor to neighbor, asking for permission to carry on their property. That way I wouldn't need....

Oh, never mind.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I may not offer some sweet tea, kinda stingy with the wifes sweet tea.
    If I am properly approached I will offer assistance etc.
    I want the locals to know who we are (They do) and be on our side.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana

Let's say I told the LEO he is on private property, GTFO and leave me alone.

How would this make me a "bad guy" inversely?

Why do I have to prove anything to anyone on land I paid for, own and am not breaking any laws on?

I make friends on my own accord because I choose to become friends with someone. Not because of their occupation and how it may or more likely may not benefit me as a clean up crew.

The odds that I use my firearm to defend my life are much greater than my new cop friends showing up in time to do the same.

Anyone is more than welcome to defend my life and I would be more than grateful, the words are beyond me. But if that means I need to identify myself on my front lawn for no reason other than compliance, I choose to defend myself and the cop in this situation can see his way off my land promptly (that was as polite as I could say it).

Last edited:

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Let's say I told the LEO he is on private property, GTFO and leave me alone.

How would this make me a "bad guy" inversely?

Why do I have to prove anything to anyone on land I paid for, own and am not breaking any laws on?

I make friends on my own accord because I choose to become friends with someone. Not because of their occupation and how it may or more likely may not benefit me as a clean up crew.

The odds that I use my firearm to defend my life are much greater than my new cop friends showing up in time to do the same.

Anyone is more than welcome to defend my life and I would be more than grateful, the words are beyond me. But if that means I need to identify myself on my front lawn for no reason other than compliance, I choose to defend myself and the cop in this situation can see his way off my land promptly (that was as polite as I could say it).

It doesn't necessarily make you a bad person, but I think it comes across a bit rude. I certainly wouldn't treat an LEO any worse than a normal citizen that came up and questioned me about a gun. I would see it as a chance to win them over. Winning them over generally, at least in my experience, does not include a GTFO. But, hey, that's just me.

And I don't rely on LEO's to protect me. That's for sure.

Contrary to what I feel is the general consensus here, I actually don't feel like law enforcement is the enemy. And I was brought up to treat others with respect. So, I try to be an example of that to my children.

As Mike posted, it's your property, do as you will. I'm just offering what I would do. I'm not trying to recruit followers here :)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What do you do if a cop comes up and starts questioning you/asking for I'd because you are carrying on your own property?

And what if this officer got a report that you are a convicted felon or otherwise ineligible to legally carry/own a gun? It's entirely possible he/she DOES have PC to talk to you and you're just not aware of it. What are you guys going to do if you get SWATted?

Top Bottom