• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Von Sidhe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Crown Point
    If you do not have an LTCH, you can't take your handgun to a range. I don't know about renting.

Also, see here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ing_a_handgun_without_a_license_official.html

I was told by the police department in my town that as long as to and from the shooting range, your gun is locked and unloaded, in your trunk, you can go to the shooting range. Also this only applys to hand guns, I do not know about long guns.

I also have been told this same thing by a LARGE amount of people how work in the gun industry (shooting ranges, gun shops, etc..) that this is true.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I was told by the police department in my town that as long as to and from the shooting range, your gun is locked and unloaded, in your trunk, you can go to the shooting range. Also this only applys to hand guns, I do not know about long guns.

I also have been told this same thing by a LARGE amount of people how work in the gun industry (shooting ranges, gun shops, etc..) that this is true.

Untrue, the police in question are misinformed about the law.
    It happens, some do not know that you can open carry and
    will hassle you about it. Thread on that topic are posted here
    all the time. The "gun industry" is also misinformed.
    You cannot carry to and from the range without a LTCH.
    You can only transport a gun from a shop to home leagally after a purchase.

Long guns you are ok whenever to transport.

Handguns only with a LTCH.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    While it may be 'technically' illegal to be in your neighbors yard with a H & without a LTCH, I find it highly unlikely that a cop would come onto said neighbors private property for the sole purpose of verifying that you have a LTCH.

How would he know that it wasn't your property? Seeing as you don't have to have a LTCH to carry on your own property, they would have no reason to have any suspicion that there was a violation to justify a stop.

Now, if they were called for another reason that required them to enter onto that property then it might be reasonable for them to ask you for a LTCH.

IF you are transporting/carrying it over public property to GET TO the range without a LTCH I could see that being a violation.

My :twocents: is that there is a difference between transporting/carrying on public property & possession on private property. Otherwise, as posted above, someone would commit a firearm violation if they just held a buddy's new gun even for just a second in the buddy's livingroom. I can't see that as being the intent of the law.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    This is actually quite an interesting legal topic because the implication here is if he cannot carry on his neighbors private land, how can someone without an LTCH shoot a handgun at a range? I've contacted my state representative and they have confirmed it is legal to shoot a handgun at a range without an LTCH, but that seems contradictory to what the law says. There is not exception for shooting a rental handgun at the range in the black and white text, but there seems to be an implicit exception.

Also, this would seem to imply that if someone came over to my house and I let them hold my handgun, they would be committing an illegal act (and I as a result?) unless they a) had an LTCH or b) were about to purchase the gun.
    So is your state representative willing to bet his/her freedom on this?

Top Bottom