• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    1) Depends on what one defines as 'worth the money'.

2) The NRA is pro-2A. I'm pro-2A. Maybe there's some sort of "10% at the local XYZ for NRA members" somewhere, as a 'perk'. I never pay attention to those because I didn't join the NRA for that reason. I've enjoyed my association with them, have benefitted as a NRA Instructor (if for no other reason than 'name recognition', being the oldest and largest), and even like the magazine I receive.

Motorhead302

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Fulton County
    i just joined the nra a couple months ago, mostly because the gun club i joined last year can really only afford the insurance to have a range because of the help they receive from them. they prefer all members to also be nra.
    i also do appreciate the things they do to help fight for the 2a, and have been "intending" to join for years. they do have a lot of different perks, the most useful of which that i've seen is $2500 dollars worth of gun owner's insurance for free, you just register for it on their site once you become a member. you can get more than that for a fee, also, but the free coverage is a nice little perk, i guess. there are a lot of other things i keep getting emails about, but i haven't really checked it all out yet.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I've posted some of this before and it's a bit of a soap box and off topic. Insurance is nice, but that's not why I joined. My dad and my grandpa had been NRA members. When I was 18, I bought my first rifle as if it was a rite of passage. Shortly after, I also joined the NRA after viewing one of their membership drives on cable TV. I made it a point to read their magazines, learn from them, and understand that our right to own a gun was much more then just for shooting cans and hunting.

In the following years as I made new friends and talked with co-workers who didn't own a gun, but where at least interested in ownership, I always said to them to let me point you to an NRA safety and personal protection course as a starting point! The NRA was the one organization that I could always point to as a place to start. (And I still do.) That's a perk!

I myself grew up around guns (mostly .22 rifles). It was part of growing up with the men of the family. Guns were always treated as serious business. We were never to mess around or act stupid with guns. I recall I did something minor when I was 11, and I was reprimanded for it. Family had a good reason, as my grandparents lost their first born 12-year old son due to an shooting accident. (I'll note that the family never blamed the gun for the accident.) I even recall my grandmother having a talk with me about being safe. I also saw while hunting what even a .22 bullet could do...

So as I said the NRA was the one group I could always point someone to. I remember one time when I went shooting with a co-worker, who was acting stupid and frankly was being dangerous. I wanted to say to him, "Didn't anyone tell you that's just wrong?!" He obviously didn't have the advantage of growing up with the men I did, or at least being properly taught how to handle guns!

Fast forward a few years, the wonderful woman that I married, when we first started to date, she soon heard that I had guns in my house and gave me a look as if I was crazy. I certainly didn't think I was? I thought to myself, "Why I'm a responsible gun owner, and a member of the NRA! Who are you calling crazy?!" So I proceeded to take her out into the mountains and let her shoot a couple of my guns. She was interested…!

Once we were married, I took my own advice and signed her up for an NRA safety and personal protection course, that I took along with her. The courses were excellent, and so where the materials and the instructors! Not only did they cover the basics of how guns work, but also range time, safety, protecting yourself with gun, and the legal aspects of all of it. It was all excellent!

In closing, I do appreciate other pro-gun groups, but there is power in numbers. Power in education... safety... use... and in keeping our right to own, use, protect our families, lives, country, and what we work for. All responsible gun owners should be a member of the NRA. And this is why to this day I am a life-time member. And even being paid up for life, I still make it point to financially support them.

Anyway, OP I hope you join us. :)

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I use USCCA. Actually just renewed today. It can be expensive but you do get a couple perks on top of the fact that you won't be financially ruined if you were to be taken to court over a self defense shooting. All kinds of training videos and concealed carry magazine which is a good read. Plus they give away free stuff all the time.

Join the NRA! They fight for your 2nd amendment rights and the more people that are members the stronger they will be. Also I suggest joining as many of the other big name groups that you can afford. In this day and age we need as much help as we can get.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Roughly one in fifty Americans belongs to NRA... Imagine if that number were one in twenty-five or one in ten... Some of us INGOers will, for their own reasons, poo-poo the NRA. To me this is like someone using their First Amendment rights to lambast the military service member who stands ready to preserve that very right (and all others affirmed by the Constitution). Inexplicable behavior to me.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gun owners will always have a love/hate relationship with the NRA. Wayne can say some pretty stupid stuff at times (like blaming video games on violence). I'd personally love to see the gaming crowd and the gun crowd join together to admonish stupid yellow journalism in the media that constantly and falsely blame the two when a shooting happens.

But alas...

I didn't know about this self-defense insurance. I'll look into it. I have no idea the costs to hire a lawyer like Guy Relford for an SD situation... but I'm sure it's not cheap.

JaySoSaySo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Camby
    What do you guys normally pay for that insurance with NRA? Being raised around guns and slinging 12 gauge shells at 12 years old gave me the natural ability to handle guns safely and appropriately. Having taken my hunter safety course way back in the day, I have that respect for guns that all gun owners should have. Never pursued any NRA classes as of yet - but I suppose it may heighten awareness, more-so in self-defense situations.

Currently I am a year-to-year member as finances have only allowed this. I had something from them a while back on the insurance but tossed it as I thought it seemed far fetched. As a side note: No big deal but I am curious if anyone has ever received the free gifts they mention when you sign-up?

Top Bottom