• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dancingmantis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Oakland City
    I am getting some conflicting answers. I was told that I can carry at Pike State Forest in Pike County. However, on the website it states that no chambered firearms are allowed in "designated safety areas". These areas include all of the recreational and camping areas in the forest. I have emailed the DNR and some say no firearms in these areas and some just state you need a LTCH to carry on Forest property. But no one is directly addressing my question. Can I, with a valid LTCH, carry my handgun in the so called "safety areas"? The reason I ask is because if I camp with my sons, have a picnic with my family, etc then I will always be in a "safety zone". :n00b:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Indiana DNR has been NOTORIOUSLY slow at updating any of their information to reflect the rescinding of the former DNR administrative rule that would prohibited the carrying of firearms.

But, rest assured, that administrative rule has been rescinded, and has been for 2-3 years now.

It was never "illegal", as in it was never a part of the Indiana Code, in the first place.

You're good to go in any of the Indiana State Parks / Forests (with the exception of the properties under the control of the Army Corps of Engineers)

-J-

dancingmantis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Oakland City
    I am being told that I can carry anywhere in the forest with my LTCH but not in the designated safety areas. I have tried contacting the state but I am still waiting on their reply. Here is the link that got me asking DNR: DNR: State Forest Property Regulations . No one I have talked to at the DNR is really addressing the issue. I am going to call and speak with someone at the forest to see what they say. It makes no sense to me that the DNR lifted the regulation for LTCH holders to carry and then tell them they cannot carry in the "safety areas". That covers all the rec areas and camping sites. I plan on taking my family to the picnic area after the range. At this point I am going to carry while there.

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    The designated safety areas are actually no hunting areas. I think it has always been legal to carry in a State Forest because they allow hunting (State Parks don't allow hunting unless it's a depravation hunt). They put the designated safety areas in place to keep hunters from shooting in the high traffic areas like playgrounds, campgrounds, ect. I've also seen some state nature preserves that were posted with firearms and dogs allowed. I'm not sure if that has been changed since the state now allows CCW in parks. If you don't get an answer back from DNR I'd carry anyway. I never payed attention to the handgun ban in state parks anyway.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    312 IAC 8-2-3 Firearms, hunting, and trapping​
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-11-2-1; IC 14-22-2-6
    Affected: IC 14-22-11-1; IC 35-47-2
    Sec. 3. (a) A person must not possess a firearm or bow and arrows on a DNR property unless one (1) of the following
    conditions apply:
    (1) The firearm or bow and arrows are:
    (A) unloaded and unnocked; and
    (B) placed in a case or locked within a vehicle.
    (2) The firearm or bow and arrows are possessed at, and of a type designated for usage on:​
    (A) a rifle;
    (B) a pistol;
    (C) a shotgun; or
    (D) an archery;
    range.
    (3) The firearm or bow and arrows are being used in the lawful pursuit of either of the following:
    (A) A wild animal on a DNR property authorized for that purpose.
    (B) A groundhog as authorized under a license.
    (4) The person possesses a handgun on a DNR property other than a reservoir owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
    or Falls of the Ohio State Park:
    (A) with a valid unlimited license to carry a handgun:
    (i) issued under IC 35-47-2-3; or
    (ii) recognized under IC 35-47-2-21(b); or
    (B) pursuant to an exemption to handgun licensure requirements as authorized under IC 35-47-2-2.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (a)(1) or (a)(4), a firearm or bow and arrows may not be possessed on DNR properties
    within any of the following:
    (1) A nature preserve unless hunting is authorized under subsection (c).
    (2) A property administered by the division of state museums and historic sites.
    (3) A campground.
    (4) A picnic area.
    (5) A beach.
    (6) A service area.
    (7) A headquarters building.
    (8) A hunter check station.
    (9) A developed recreation site.

If you read the above bolded sections of the posted IAC, you'll see that an exception to the "no firearms" rule in camping, etc., areas is having a valid unlimited handgun license.

Heres the whole thing:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T03120/A00080.PDF?

Top Bottom