• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jiggypete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I had mine in the gun vault in the cargo area of the SUV. I had the mags out of the pistol, but didn't unload the mags. To me that is unloaded. Fortunately, I didn't get stopped to have to test the Ohio definition! :rockwoot:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I had mine in the gun vault in the cargo area of the SUV. I had the mags out of the pistol, but didn't unload the mags. To me that is unloaded. Fortunately, I didn't get stopped to have to test the Ohio definition! :rockwoot:

It doesn't much matter what constitutes "unloaded" to YOU since it is very clear in Ohio law- rounds in magazines are loaded weapons. There wouldn't be any "testing" just you going to jail because you didn't follow the law.

If you are going to break firearm laws as an act of civil disobedience or protest for unconstitutional laws you should at least know what they are. ;)

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    FWIW, Ohio allows licence-free open carry. When a firearm is in your vehicle, it must be unloaded (unloaded mag as well, as someone said earlier). I go to school in OH, and I work in PA. The drive home is very frustrating, as I have to stop at the OH border and unload my gun and my magazine, then store them. The ammo must also be stored separately.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    They must also be in the trunk of the car not accessible to the driver.

Not according to Ohio law. As long as there are no bullets in the magazine, it is unloaded. Here's the section of the Ohio Revised Code.

2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.
    (B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.
    (C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways: (1) In a closed package, box, or case;
    (2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
    (3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

Those with a license are under no restrictions, and can use a car mounted holster, or leave it on the seat, but I can't find the proper section of the law right now.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry has a forum like this where you can get answers for your Ohio questions. We have more oddities to our laws than you have for yours. Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • Index page

Top Bottom