• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Ok so I know LBL is a National Recreation Area, and we can now carry in National parks, but the last time I went down there a few weekends ago they had a huge red sign that proclaimed "No Firearms Allowed". The sign was new since Oct 2010. Is a National Recreation area not equal to a National Park in the new law? I tried talking to an information clerk when I was there but they acted like I was trying to do something wrong and wouldn't really answer my question. Can you carry there or not?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From the LBL Website:
    LBL | Regulations

Possession, transportation or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows and arrows or other weapons and explosives, including fireworks, is prohibited except authorized hunting equipment during set hunt dates.
    Now, LBL is maintained by the US Forest Service and US Dept. of Agriculture. So, unless it is somehow also Army Corp. of Engineers property, I don't see how they can still have this rule.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    From the LBL Website:
    LBL | Regulations

Now, LBL is maintained by the US Forest Service and US Dept. of Agriculture. So, unless it is somehow also Army Corp. of Engineers property, I don't see how they can still have this rule.

Exactly. I wonder if this has now become a "rule" and not a "law". The thing is, I never knew you couldn't carry in a park like that and I didn't ever see any signs. So until this law passed and then their sign went up I didn't know. Thank God I concealed there lol.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I can't find anything on the Forest Service website about firearms (other than hunting). Nothing on the Ad. Dept. either.

My guess: LBL was originally a ACoE property (back in the day). In 1998 it transferred to NFS. It is no longer an ACoE property (not on their list).

Other National Recreation Areas managed by the Forest Service follow local and state laws in regards to firearms.

I did just find something interesting:
    Arapaho
    Target Shooting Regulations on National Forest

Recreational shooting has been a longtime use of the National Forests and Grasslands. There are no designated shooting areas on the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland.
    · According to the Code of Federal Regulations (title 36), recreational shooting can take place on the National Forests and Grasslands, as long as:
    1. You are further than 150 yards from a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area.

2. You are not shooting across or on a National Forest System Road or adjacent body of water.

3. You are not shooting in any manner or place where any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.
    Also poked around here:
    The Code of Federal Regulations

• Found the ACoE anti-firearms regulation (Title 36, Chapter III, Part 327, Section 327.13)
    • Found the National Forests pro-firearms regulation (Title 36, Chapter I, Part 2, Section 2.4h).
    • The sections dealing with National Forests and National Rec. Areas are silent on this issue. No mention of firearms or weapons.

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I can't find anything on the Forest Service website about firearms (other than hunting). Nothing on the Ad. Dept. either.

My guess: LBL was originally a ACoE property (back in the day). In 1998 it transferred to NFS. It is no longer an ACoE property (not on their list).

Other National Recreation Areas managed by the Forest Service follow local and state laws in regards to firearms.

I did just find something interesting:
    Arapaho
    Also poked around here:
    The Code of Federal Regulations

• Found the ACoE anti-firearms regulation (Title 36, Chapter III, Part 327, Section 327.13)
    • Found the National Forests pro-firearms regulation (Title 36, Chapter I, Part 2, Section 2.4h).
    • The sections dealing with National Forests and National Rec. Areas are silent on this issue. No mention of firearms or weapons.

That deserves Rep. Awesome. I'm going to read all of that and make some phone calls when I get off work.

Dodgerdoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Bloomington
    It was privately owned, sort of before the Government took control. It was run by TVA the power company and also by the Corps of Engineers. I was once pulled over there on my way to school one weekend( lived on the east side, Murray State is on the west). After searching my vehicle and running my gun to make sire it wasn't stolen, the officer informed me that guns were illegal in the area, but since I was passing through, it wasn't a big deal. Let me off with out a ticket. Funny thing is, there is a shooting range there, as well as hunting in the various seasons.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    It was privately owned, sort of before the Government took control. It was run by TVA the power company and also by the Corps of Engineers. I was once pulled over there on my way to school one weekend( lived on the east side, Murray State is on the west). After searching my vehicle and running my gun to make sire it wasn't stolen, the officer informed me that guns were illegal in the area, but since I was passing through, it wasn't a big deal. Let me off with out a ticket. Funny thing is, there is a shooting range there, as well as hunting in the various seasons.

Not exactly "privately owned". It was kind of like the Fannie Mae of its day - a corporation wholely owned by the federal gov't. It was responsible for many things during the "New Deal" era primarily dealing with modernizing the Tennessee Valley region and providing jobs. Today it remains responsible for a huge amount of power generation mostly through hydroelectric dams and nuclear plants. I think it's responsibility for those facilities is what gives it the ability to regulate firearms on it's properties.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Update: I hate to necro my old thread but I don't want to make a new one either. I finally got around to sending an email and it stated that they ALLOW concealed carry with a license even though it is actually against their rules. I will edit me email and post it when I get off work. Hard to do on my phone lol.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I had some down time...

The Department of the Interior recently changed their concealed carry law. *This change does not apply to the Forest Service, as we are Department of Agriculture. *The following CFR remains in effect at Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area.Code of Federal Regulations concerning firearms on LBL. *(CFR 261.53E)Possession of firearms is prohibited except during legal firearms hunting seasons and going to and from the LBL Target Range. *Firearms must be unloaded when transporting.Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area Firearms RegulationsThe jurisdictional issues and laws as they apply to LBL are a bit more specific since we have legislation localized to LBL. If there is a question, it is always best if a person checks with local information sources and/or authorities in advance of arrival, to ensure there is no confusion. This would be true for local state, and federal public lands.Below is the information LE&I provides to the public in regards to possessing firearms at LBL NRA:Possession of firearms is prohibited except during legal firearms hunting seasons by licensed hunters and going to and from the LBL NRA firearms range. *Firearms must be cased and unloaded during transport.Firearms possessed during legal hunting seasons by licensed hunters must be cased and unloaded (chamber + magazine) while being transported in a motorized vehicle.Concealed firearms carry permit does not apply to LBL NRA at this time, although the LE officers at LBL will honor the concealed carry permit if there are no other aggravating circumstances. *Examples of aggravating circumstances are, but not limited to, violation of the concealed carry permit itself, shooting from a roadway, or shooting outside of the LBL firearms range”.ReginaHave a Safe & Blessed Summer!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Regina RobyInformation AssistantLand Between The Lakes National Recreation Area100 Van Morgan DriveGolden Pond, KY 42211270-924-20001-800-525-7077

Top Bottom