• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    I'm working at a bank right now as a Teller. A couple of weeks ago, a man came into our branch open carrying. I didn't even notice it, but I heard about it after he left; the other Tellers were freaking out at the sight of his pistol, even though he had done nothing wrong. We were talking about it after he left; they suggested that he was stupid, that he was breaking the law, etc. I said I believed that there was no law prohibiting guns in banks. The other Tellers disagreed, even if they were not able to quote any such law. This sort of resulted in a stalemate. They weren't able to point me to any law to prove that they were right, and I wasn't about to comb through every law to prove that there wasn't a law against it.

Nikoteo,

I see that you are in Evansville. I went to a new bank on April 23. It was a branch of the Newburgh bank on Covert Ave. I was open carrying my Glock that morning. My investment guy had recently changed banks and I was coming to see him to transfer my accounts. When I came in, I asked for him by name, smiled at the receptionist, and then conducted my business. Then I went on to work.

My investment guy and I are good friends. We saw each other at a party that night. He told me that I had freaked out the tellers. Told him sorry that they were freaked, but it's not my problem. He knows I OC 90% of the time. We laughed and went on.

If this was your branch, I am sorry your tellers freaked. I don't intend to. I choose to exercise my 2A right to keep and bear arms. I do it legally and safely. Next time I am in the branch, I'll make a point to stop and say hi to the tellers and give them a big smile. I'm a nice guy but their discomfort does not negate my rights.

Just OC'ing as I go about town,

HobbyGuy

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    . . .

If this was your branch, I am sorry your tellers freaked. I don't intend to. I choose to exercise my 2A right to keep and bear arms. I do it legally and safely. Next time I am in the branch, I'll make a point to stop and say hi to the tellers and give them a big smile. I'm a nice guy but their discomfort does not negate my rights.

Just OC'ing as I go about town,

HobbyGuy

EXACTLY MY POINT. No need hide or cover up. Their personal issues are not your problem.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    #1 Banks are private and public cooperations, not owned by the government. Even Federal Reserve banks are not owned by the government

#2 Criminals are cowards and unless tweaked out of their mind they are going to back down when they have a gun in their face.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Is the robber standing in front of you with a gun or the threat of a gun? If so, your life is already in peril, and you have reason to defend yourself.
    Stay calm, willfully cooperate, and do whatever you can to get them out asap... and if he wants more than money?

snip

And I had just that happen to me one night while working a part time mid-shift job at a convenience store in Albuquerque. Our policy (as is true of most convenience stores) was the same as that bank's, for the same reason. Robberies were routine. About once a week, somebody would come in and demand the money. It was easy money for the druggies. They'd come in, demand the money, get their less than $20, and leave. For the four guys this night, it was different. They came in, started stuffing their pockets with stuff, got the money in the cash drawer, got what money I could give them from the time release safe, and it wasn't enough. They started over the counter anyway. It doesn't take much research to know what usually happens to the clerk in such cases. They chose to leave in a hurry when I pulled my gun, which was a good decision on their part because I was pulling the trigger on the guy in the lead. No time for conversation or trying to scare them off, ya know. I was fired next morning, as I knew I would be. We weren't allowed to carry guns, for reasons of employee safety, of course :rolleyes:

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    All this discussion may be moot sometime in the future. I have come across two branches (don't recall the name) that have a vestibule with a built in metal detector. The inner door will not open until the outer door closes and no metal is detected. Obviously the detector can't be as sensitive as one at an aitport but tuned more for larger masses such as handguns. These branches were not in what I would call high crime areas either.

These may be few and far between since I am sure they are expensive to install but how long before they are common?

I prefer to do as much of my banking from the drive thru as possible.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I'm working at a bank right now as a Teller. A couple of weeks ago, a man came into our branch open carrying. I didn't even notice it, but I heard about it after he left; the other Tellers were freaking out at the sight of his pistol, even though he had done nothing wrong. We were talking about it after he left; they suggested that he was stupid, that he was breaking the law, etc. I said I believed that there was no law prohibiting guns in banks. The other Tellers disagreed, even if they were not able to quote any such law. This sort of resulted in a stalemate. They weren't able to point me to any law to prove that they were right, and I wasn't about to comb through every law to prove that there wasn't a law against it.

As a Teller, I can understand their fear. We are a frequently robbed branch in the area (sheisty side of town) and no one likes to think that they might have a gun pointed at them. I did not see any danger in that situation, but it obviously unsettled my fellow employees.

I know it's everyone's right to open carry if they desire (and it is of course legal), but as a friendly suggestion I would encourage conceal carrying if at all possible if you plan on going to a bank. Our job, believe it or not, is tough enough without having to worry about robbery. Plus, everyone will be having a bad day if a Teller sees a gun, freaks out and hits the silent alarm button.

if your branch is frequently robbed dont you think your employer needs to buck up and hire some security?? a legaly armed civilian seems to me the least of your worries right now. maybe it will even deter a robbery. a robber will have it out and ready to go. a holstered weapon is no threat. use this chance to educate your coworkers. but if they are like most of the bank tellers i know, they wont believe you even if you did slap the law right on their foreheads with a FFDS (sorry i cant define that one here :D),
    so your best bet is to get a new job as far away from dumb sheep like that as quickly as possible. in my opinion. good luck!!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    All this discussion may be moot sometime in the future. I have come across two branches (don't recall the name) that have a vestibule with a built in metal detector. The inner door will not open until the outer door closes and no metal is detected. Obviously the detector can't be as sensitive as one at an aitport but tuned more for larger masses such as handguns. These branches were not in what I would call high crime areas either.

These may be few and far between since I am sure they are expensive to install but how long before they are common?

I prefer to do as much of my banking from the drive thru as possible.

hmm seems to me a lawsuit waiting to happen. what about a disabled person in a wheel chair or a guy with a metal leg or arm that just got home from serving his country? any place like that wont get my business.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Sounds like unlawful criminal confinement to me.

IC 35-42-3-1
    Definition
    Sec. 1. As used in this chapter, "confine" means to substantially interfere with the liberty of a person.

IC 35-42-3-3
    Criminal confinement
    Sec. 3. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) confines another person without the other person's consent; or
    (2) removes another person, by fraud, enticement, force, or threat of force, from one (1) place to another;
    commits criminal confinement. Except as provided in subsection (b), the offense of criminal confinement is a Class D felony.
    (b) The offense of criminal confinement defined in subsection (a) is:
    (1) a Class C felony if:
    (A) the person confined or removed is less than fourteen (14) years of age and is not the confining or removing person's child;
    (B) it is committed by using a vehicle; or
    (C) it results in bodily injury to a person other than the confining or removing person; and
    (2) a Class B felony if it:
    (A) is committed while armed with a deadly weapon;
    (B) results in serious bodily injury to a person other than the confining or removing person; or
    (C) is committed on an aircraft.

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    hmm seems to me a lawsuit waiting to happen. what about a disabled person in a wheel chair or a guy with a metal leg or arm that just got home from serving his country? any place like that wont get my business.

I would have to guess they have some sort of overide at the counter.

I'm pretty sure the people making these kind of decisions couldn't care less about your business. It still seems to be an effective tool for some groups but I fear not for gun owners.

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Sounds like unlawful criminal confinement to me.

IC 35-42-3-1
    Definition
    Sec. 1. As used in this chapter, "confine" means to substantially interfere with the liberty of a person.

IC 35-42-3-3
    Criminal confinement
    Sec. 3. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) confines another person without the other person's consent; or
    (2) removes another person, by fraud, enticement, force, or threat of force, from one (1) place to another;
    commits criminal confinement. Except as provided in subsection (b), the offense of criminal confinement is a Class D felony.
    (b) The offense of criminal confinement defined in subsection (a) is:
    (1) a Class C felony if:
    (A) the person confined or removed is less than fourteen (14) years of age and is not the confining or removing person's child;
    (B) it is committed by using a vehicle; or
    (C) it results in bodily injury to a person other than the confining or removing person; and
    (2) a Class B felony if it:
    (A) is committed while armed with a deadly weapon;
    (B) results in serious bodily injury to a person other than the confining or removing person; or
    (C) is committed on an aircraft.

Not being a lawyer and somewhat stupid when it comes to legal things I couldn't even begin to argue the point. Anybody got any ideas as to how they can get by with this if the above codes apply?

I don't know if both doors ever lock at the same time or not. There may always be a way to exit the vestibule but not always a way to enter the bank.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Good point, mpholic. If the outer door remains unlocked, they they are simply barring access to the bank.

I have read stories on "man traps" at banks, and made the same jump here. Locking both doors would equal a payday for me:spend:

357Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    For what its worth, I asked the manager of my bank and he said he would appreciate it if I would carry when I come into his bank.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN

As a Teller, I can understand their fear. We are a frequently robbed branch in the area (sheisty side of town) and no one likes to think that they might have a gun pointed at them. I did not see any danger in that situation, but it obviously unsettled my fellow employees.

I know it's everyone's right to open carry if they desire (and it is of course legal), but as a friendly suggestion I would encourage conceal carrying if at all possible if you plan on going to a bank. Our job, believe it or not, is tough enough without having to worry about robbery. Plus, everyone will be having a bad day if a Teller sees a gun, freaks out and hits the silent alarm button.

I usually open carry into my local bank, never have had nervous looks, never had anything said about it....then again, town of 600 people, everyone knows me, and my great grandfather owned the bank thru the depression........:):

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    If that were the case, and I wanted to rob a bank, I would just put on a wheel chair guise until I got in the door. Then, I would stand up and rob the place.

A pointless measure.

Isn't most gun control a pointless measure?

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Indiana law prohibits carrying firearms in certain places (except by law enforcement officials or security guards) such as school property, school buses, post offices, secure areas of airports, commercial or charter aircraft and riverboats.

There is no provision that prohibits you from carrying a weapon into a bank.

Edit: Unless it is a Federal Bank or any U.S. Government Property.

Thank you for that it's very informative

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Even if they have a sign posted saying "NO GUNS" it is still legal to carry into the bank, it is just against their policy. The policy of a store/bank/shop does not carry the force of law.

As Eddie pointed out, depending on the precise wording of the sign, it may or may not constitute Criminal Trespass. I've tried to find caselaw on point but have not been able to find anything so far. However, if the sign explicitly references trespass or explicitly bars entry, I think there is a good likelihood that criminal prosecution could follow disregarding it.

Best,

Joe

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Open carry may be allowed in a bank. . .

. . . but is it wise?

Maybe, but sometime I think we get caught up in what we CAN do rather than what is prudent to do.

I try my best to keep my weapon concealed in public at all times unless someone has a "need to know" I'm armed, if you catch my drift.

Vanguard.45

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom