Carry handgun with round in the chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I had another guy come into work yesterday and tell me that in Indiana you can't carry with a round in the chamber, that it was illegal (where do they hear this crappola?) and that the mag has to be out of the gun....There needs to be a sign in gun stores, that says "Carrying a gun with an empty chamber for self defense can get you dead"

Codyf44

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    Plainfield
    I remember hearing a reference. Carrying a gun without one in the chamber is like not wearing a seatbelt but trying to put it on right before you crash.

Knights1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2024
    Idaho
    Guns should be carried with a round in the chamber but if a person is new and does not feel comfortable doing so, they should carry as they wish until they feel comfortable carrying how it should be carried.

jcj54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    I feel it comes down to training or lack thereof.
    I am still amused by the fact that the 1911 has a grip safety because the US Cavalry wanted the 1911 to be carried with a round in the chamber, cocked and UNLOCKED(safety off) to be able to be brought into action quickly.
    This idea did not survive those higher ups who were certain there would be accidents and vetoed it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Guns should be carried with a round in the chamber but if a person is new and does not feel comfortable doing so, they should carry as they wish until they feel comfortable carrying how it should be carried.
    Welcome to INGO @Knights1776 . Make sure you stop by the introductions thread and introduce yourself.

And also revisit the forum rules. They are linked in my signature below. (if you are on a phone and you dont see the links, turn your phone sideways)

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    My 2 sons (age 18 and 20) hosted a range day with their friends a couple weeks ago. Super proud of them BTW, as they had a well planned safety briefing, had the whole range day planned out (complete with plenty of Tannerite), and made it fun for everyone. Most of the participants were between 18 and 25 yrs old, and a couple of them had a Michigan CPL already. It all went very well, and a good time was had by all.

Here's the thing though... 2 of the participants who regularly carry their guns daily commented that they do not carry one in the chamber. My boys were shocked by this revelation. They tried to reason with these 2 guys, but could not convince them that their gun was safe to carry loaded. And the real kicker here is that one of these people is a rookie police officer in the Grand Rapids area. He carries a firearm daily as a part of his job, but does not have the training to realize that a gun is not only safe to carry loaded, but is also intended to be carried with one in the chamber.

I really want to try to convince them to get proper training, but up here in west Michigan, there aren't many good options. All the training companies around here do simple NRA personal defense classes, and I'm just not a big fan of those courses. And obviously, many of the police departments are just giving their new officers basic marksmanship training instead of teaching them to win a gunfight.

I may try to get them down to Michiana and take a class with Defensive Solutions. I have taken a couple classes with Norm and he is fantastic.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My 2 sons (age 18 and 20) hosted a range day with their friends a couple weeks ago. Super proud of them BTW, as they had a well planned safety briefing, had the whole range day planned out (complete with plenty of Tannerite), and made it fun for everyone. Most of the participants were between 18 and 25 yrs old, and a couple of them had a Michigan CPL already. It all went very well, and a good time was had by all.

Here's the thing though... 2 of the participants who regularly carry their guns daily commented that they do not carry one in the chamber. My boys were shocked by this revelation. They tried to reason with these 2 guys, but could not convince them that their gun was safe to carry loaded. And the real kicker here is that one of these people is a rookie police officer in the Grand Rapids area. He carries a firearm daily as a part of his job, but does not have the training to realize that a gun is not only safe to carry loaded, but is also intended to be carried with one in the chamber.

I really want to try to convince them to get proper training, but up here in west Michigan, there aren't many good options. All the training companies around here do simple NRA personal defense classes, and I'm just not a big fan of those courses. And obviously, many of the police departments are just giving their new officers basic marksmanship training instead of teaching them to win a gunfight.

I may try to get them down to Michiana and take a class with Defensive Solutions. I have taken a couple classes with Norm and he is fantastic.
    Yep. Get them REAL training. And force them to justify their position rationally. Once they no longer have the safety aspect (modern guns dont "just go off") or any logical reasoning, they have to admit they are simply afraid to based on their lack of experience. Hopefully that will get them to change.

Remember, many of us here have had more hours of gun instruction than a cop. Isnt it like 40 hours total? Or less?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020