• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    OK, so I am trying to figure out appropriate ways to carry at a variety of times when having fun outside with the kids. Most of the time things are pretty simple, but some activities give me more concerns and I was looking for information on what you folks do.

1) Soccer coaching: I am a pretty active coach and frequently run with the kids as well as limited contact when demonstrating drills. As I know several of the parents would react badly to me open carrying, I try not to let the parents get in the way of the kids development. I would prefer to carry, but most of my rigs either show during this type & level of activity or restrict motion enough to be problematic.

2) Skiiing, snowboarding, tubing, etc: While I have no thoughts of pulling a Bond and having a moving shootout, I prefer to carry for stops to & from the activities (as well as during breaks.) My concern here is a mixture of access and security. I normally keep all my valuables in zipped pockets, but I do not have a pocket that fits my carry gun and can handle the weight. I am concerned a wipeout could cause enough snow force on my holster to rip the gun out from under my jacket (I know from experience it's easy to have a mag yanked from a belt holster in this situation -- that took some time to find.)

3) Swimming, water parks, etc: No, I don't need to carry in the pool, but I am not comfortable leaving it in the car or a locker. I am not even that happy leaving it in the hotel safe when we are at a resort. On the other hand, much of the fun the kids have revolve around activities that require my participation due to their age, so sitting out defeats the purpose of the trip.

What do you do and what do you find works out over time?

Thanks

Last edited:

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    For me when it comes to carrying while participating in sporting activities, I will leave it locked in my vehicle. Can't justify the added value of carrying versus the potential risks of loss, damage or injury while participating. Now if I was horseback or 4-wheeler riding I probably would carry. (Don't do either of these on any regular basis.) I do ride a bike a lot, but will not carry then either. I have received enough road rash from sliding across the asphalt. Don't want to add a severe bruise from jabbing a pistol into my kidneys.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    There are times where you can't safely carry. Lock it in a car safe or hotel room safe. Go have fun with your kids. Just because you do that does NOT have to mean you are defenseless. Many people equate being unarmed to being defenseless and that does not have to be the case. BTW, acute situational awareness can be so much more useful in avoiding situations that lead you to feel like you need a firearm.

Judy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2011
    For me when it comes to carrying while participating in sporting activities, I will leave it locked in my vehicle. Can't justify the added value of carrying versus the potential risks of loss, damage or injury while participating. Now if I was horseback or 4-wheeler riding I probably would carry. (Don't do either of these on any regular basis.) I do ride a bike a lot, but will not carry then either. I have received enough road rash from sliding across the asphalt. Don't want to add a severe bruise from jabbing a pistol into my kidneys.
    Have you tried an ankle holster while bike riding? Works wonderful.:twocents:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was recently skiing and forgot my additional holster. I had planned on keeping it in a pocket but left it in the room since I couldn't secure well. I considered carrying with an empty chamber so as to not worry about ND, but I never did.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    There are times where you can't safely carry. Lock it in a car safe or hotel room safe. Go have fun with your kids. Just because you do that does NOT have to mean you are defenseless. Many people equate being unarmed to being defenseless and that does not have to be the case. BTW, acute situational awareness can be so much more useful in avoiding situations that lead you to feel like you need a firearm.

This is pretty much what I have been doing for the soccer activities and water sports. I was just wondering if there was another way as I read so many comments from people who state that they are "always" carrying.

I get nervous about leaving it in a hotel or car safe, though. Maybe I should take a look at a better car solution (I currently have a small Gunvault strapped to the seat frame.)

I would like to find a secure option for the winter activities, though, as it seems like it "should" be workable. Part of me is wondering if a shoulder rig would be a good option, possibly combined with a switch to my K9 for the slimmer profile.

Top Bottom