• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    Wowser! What an image. Definitely rule number 2 was also violated... Never allow the muzzle to point at anything you are not willing to see destroyed.

In the presentation of the handgun, the support hand should never be placed in front of the muzzle. Rather it should be kept close to the body until it meets with the trigger hand after the gun is rotated up. At this point the arms are extended together and (if the firearm is sighted at a target) the finger is placed on the trigger.

Back on topic, I carry a Walther P99 all the time and it has no external safeties, including no glock'ish trigger safety. Rather, it is DA/SA with a decocker. I am perfectly happy having one in the chamber with a proper holster. It's all a matter of building in the muscle memory so that the finger is not on the trigger until the end of the firearm presentation and making sure the finger is outside the trigger guard otherwise (especially when holstering). There is some interesting reading about what happens when this is not followed (regardless of type of firearm):
    Unintentional Gunshot Wounds

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Agree with carrying one in the pipe. You never know what may happen, and you want to always be prepared to defend! You could get some snap caps, and carry one in the pipe. Just around the house until your comfort level is where you want it to be. Just remember 3 important things. 1. Treat every gun, as it's loaded. 2. Never put your finger inside the trigger guard, until you acquire a target and are ready to fire. 3. A good holster is just as important, as the pistol you carry.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wont be redundant on carry habits... But for me

M&P - in in the chamber
    S&W 908s - one in the chamber and hammer back (SA), safety off
    S&W 6906 - one in the chamber hammer back (SA), safety off

Thats how I carry. Some would agree and some would disagree to my methods, but I dont like to leave anything to chance if I am in a self defense situation. i dont want to have to fool with racking the slide, turning off a safety, or even a heavy trigger pull.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I wont be redundant on carry habits... But for me

M&P - in in the chamber
    S&W 908s - one in the chamber and hammer back (SA), safety off
    S&W 6906 - one in the chamber hammer back (SA), safety off

Thats how I carry. Some would agree and some would disagree to my methods, but I dont like to leave anything to chance if I am in a self defense situation. i dont want to have to fool with racking the slide, turning off a safety, or even a heavy trigger pull.

Agreed :yesway:.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Remembering the four rules (as I've learned them) certainly helps:

1. ALL weapons are loaded

2. Never point the weapon at anything that you are not willing to destroy

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until the sights are aligned on target

4. Be cognizant of what may be beyond the target.

Rule Three is considered the "Golden Rule". I would wholeheartedly endorse presentation of the weapon without the finger on the trigger, and also reholstering with finger off the trigger. A properly designed holster, i.e. with a fully covered trigger guard is in order. There should be no problems with carrying in "Condition One" if the above four rules, with emphasis on Rule Three are followed.

Safety lies between the ears, and not between the hands. That is one reason that firearms are considered deadly weapons.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    I say " bollocks"...a brick that can be charged in a nano-second is by no means a brick, nor a club, nor is it un-loaded as some may say, it is still an easily racked or cocked weapon of potentially deadly ammo.
    Which is all well & good, IF your assailant gives you a nanosecond's warning, most give none, IF you're not fighting off your assailant with one hand/arm while tyring desperately to draw a weapon, IF your assailant hasn't already disabled one of your arms in the attack.

Last edited:

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    Which is all well & good, IF your assailant gives you a nanosecond's warning, most give none, IF you're not fighting off you assailant with one hand/arm while tyring desperately to draw a weapon, IF your assailant hasn't already disabled one of your arms in the attack.

I agree , that is, IF all of your "IFFS" come true, show me a single, solitary piece of evidence that your IFFS have ever been proven...granted, IF my assailant already has the drop on me or you, WE are already behind the curve, and a draw to fire would be most fool-hardy, for even IF you can get your firearm into the fight, you will almost certainly already been shot / injured, and in such a condition as having had the hurt put on my firing hand, I have trained to fight with BOTH hands, and can access and fire nearly equally with EITHER hand.....

Do you train with your week hand on a regular basis...to the point of being able to accurately hit what you aim at ? ? IF not, then you are at a severe disadvantage in the stage of combat...if you have, then KUDOS to you....good job ( most folks don't train week-hand draws and fires...too difficult ) .

Let me be clearer, I carry to whichever condition fits my needs at the moment, and my situational awareness levels can't ensure that I won't be surprised, but it is unlikely I won't know what's coming down at that time...

Any one can be ambushed, in that scene, no one will be able to over-come that kind of attack with any certainty, I don't feel under-gunned, nor helpless in most situations....I carry NO brick, it's a potentially deadly firearm, and I shall use common sense in its' utilization, that is my method, and my carry attitude.

Great responses to this thread, let us not forget we are all in this together and need to show restraint as well as the willingness to defend ourselves, and our loved ones from the wolves....I should have the mind-set to shoot, and also the mind-set to NOT shoot, if it's not in my best interest.

I am out....;).

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I carry my Glock 27 holstered inside my waistband with one in the chamber. I'm intimate enough with my gun that I know darn well not to pull the trigger unless I'm meaning to destroy something/someone. I was slightly uncomfortable at first, but have gotten used to having a loaded, cocked gun, with no external safety tucked into my waistband (sometimes) aimed at my other bang stick.

Be careful, always follow safe handling rules, and you should be ok...

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I carry an XD 45 c daily IWB in a CB ST, chambered and ready to go. I was cautios at 1st, and I carried it with the chamber empty the 1st week or so, until I felt comfortable with it. I must admit the grip safety gives me a little extra piece of mind when holstering, unholstering or tucking in my shirt. Just my:twocents:.

Top Bottom