carry condition 1 on a da/sa(IE sig) vs sa(1911)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rpcblast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Ok, so I have been wondering, whats the recommended way to carry a DA/SA gun, such as a Sig p229? I know on the 1911 its generally recomended to carry condition 1, because its straight sa, and no decocker. Is it recomended to carry da/sa gun in condition 2, since it does have a decocker, and its just a longer trigger pull rather than having to cock it? Or is it still considered ok to carry it cocked?(cant really say cocked and locked due to not having external safeties)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The 1911 is designed to be carry cocked and locked. DA autos, for the most part, aren't. They are designed to be carry hammer down, DA for the first shot.

rpcblast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    thanks!
    I doubt ill be switching any time soon buuut just curious in case i end up with a da/sa gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Keep in mind, though, that there are some DA/SA pistols that do have a safety that allow "cocked and locked" carry. Some of the CZs and HKs are capable of this.

But the above posters are right; cartridge chambered, hammer down, safety off (if it has one) is MY preference for a DA/SA pistol.

My brother in law carries a 229 as his duty weapon and his is carried, of course, chambered and hammer down. And due to the relatively long/hard initial trigger pull, they're trained to "index" the trigger a bit as they're presenting/aiming/covering. Of course, their policy is also to double-tap and decock.

-J-

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I carry my Sig 229 with one in the chamber, decocked, which is not quite correct as my 229 has the DAK abomination.

I certainly prefer condition one (and only) for the 1911. Thank God when I retire, the 229 will go back to the Sheriff's Office.

I don't mean to insult those who prefer Sigs, I just do not like them and would not carry one unless I had to.

A parlimentary point: When a DA/SA weapon is cocked and a round in the chamber, that condition is usually categorized as Condition Zero.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    But the above posters are right; cartridge chambered, hammer down, safety off (if it has one) is MY preference for a DA/SA pistol.-J-

I've been meaning on asking this question. What are peoples opinions on this? I carry a ruger p95pr which is the decock, manual safety model. It has an internal firing pin block which won't let the firing pin hit the primer unless the trigger is pulled, so it should be drop safe even with the safety off. My opinion is that it is safe to carry with the safty off, no different that a da revolver. Too much of a thread jack?

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I've been meaning on asking this question. What are peoples opinions on this? I carry a ruger p95pr which is the decock, manual safety model. It has an internal firing pin block which won't let the firing pin hit the primer unless the trigger is pulled, so it should be drop safe even with the safety off. My opinion is that it is safe to carry with the safty off, no different that a da revolver. Too much of a thread jack?
    When I carry my berreta px4 SC it is always chamber loaded/hammer down/SAFETY OFF. Maybe if beretta used a proper safety position like on a 1911 I would use the thing, but with the position it's in it can be hard to get to. Plus if the first pull is DA then that counts as a safety in my book.
    How about the DA/SA pistols that can be carried condition 1? Do you guys carry hammer back/safety on? or just keep the first shot DA?

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

It has a firing pin block and DA first pull...it's fine. :yesway:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Beretta m9a1... full mag, one in chamber, decocked, safety off. As a point of training, I always sweep the safety on the draw to make it muscle memory, but I never use it unless to decock. The DA pull is plenty long and the beretta has a firing pin block that you physically see disengage while pulling the trigger.

1911s... now, these have grip and manual safety. I always carry full mag, one in chamber, cocked and locked. Even if by an act of God, the safety becomes disengaged while carrying it in the holster (extremely unlikely), the grip safety will still keep the hammer from falling. It's always important to inspect these while cleaning also, though.

HKs and such allow for cocked and locked carry, but personally, I wouldn't carry like that. I'd carry it the same way as the beretta. I'm more comfortable cocked and locked with 2 safeties instead of one.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have always been torn on whether to have the manual safety on for a DA/SA (luckily none of mine have manual safeties). I am fully aware that it is safe to carry with the safety off, assuming you have the hammer down. However if the safety somehow gets flipped on during the course of the day (I know, unlikely), it seems already being in the habit of disengaging the safety while drawing would be a good thing.

Eh, I'll just stick with either no manual safety or a single action... then there is no question.

Top Bottom