• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We went on Sunday, and I had an interesting (in a potentially bad way) development. I had my pistol in the minivan - I had been CC'ing while we got some lunch before going into the Fair. I had planned on leaving it in the car, since we usually park on the south side of the fairgrounds (closer to the Family Arts building), either on the street or in the public lots.

But, this year, that was "full" - not full in the sense that there were no spots left, just "full" in the sense that it had been full earlier, so they stopped parking people there, but apparently dozens of people left after it was "full" making it not "full" anymore, but they still weren't parking people there, even though there were now dozens of empty spots. Well, I guess that's a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, we drove up the west side of the fairgrounds, and ended up getting directed onto the "Gun Free" grounds of the Indiana School for the Deaf. Yep, I was arguably going to unlawfully store my gun in my car.

It all worked out, but still - not a comfortable feeling.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    We went on Sunday, and I had an interesting (in a potentially bad way) development. I had my pistol in the minivan - I had been CC'ing while we got some lunch before going into the Fair. I had planned on leaving it in the car, since we usually park on the south side of the fairgrounds (closer to the Family Arts building), either on the street or in the public lots.

But, this year, that was "full" - not full in the sense that there were no spots left, just "full" in the sense that it had been full earlier, so they stopped parking people there, but apparently dozens of people left after it was "full" making it not "full" anymore, but they still weren't parking people there, even though there were now dozens of empty spots. Well, I guess that's a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, we drove up the west side of the fairgrounds, and ended up getting directed onto the "Gun Free" grounds of the Indiana School for the Deaf. Yep, I was arguably going to unlawfully store my gun in my car.

Arggh - that is aggravating. You'd be better off CCing the gun out and into the fair in that situation that leaving it in the parking lot.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This ^^ .

Not gonna spend one dime going to the state fair .

Last time I was there (a few years ago) there were 4 "group" fights within 2 hours .

Unless the fair gets moved out of the ghetto I'll never go back .

You should go back and give it another shot. I was there all day today and didn't see any gang members or any other unnerving sights. No fights, no threats, no gang signs being thrown. All I saw were many families, country kids, and fat guys like me eating elephant ears.

By the way, the lumberjack show was pretty cool. The highlight of the day was the wiener dog racing, even the lumberjacks came to check that out.

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    This ^^ .

Not gonna spend one dime going to the state fair .

Last time I was there (a few years ago) there were 4 "group" fights within 2 hours .

Unless the fair gets moved out of the ghetto I'll never go back .

While I appreciate the sentiment, I'd urge you to give it another chance. No sign of gang activity any time I've been there. I'm going to continue to go to support the fair, and I'm not going to let the lawless run me off (assuming I see any). I'd hate to see the fair shut down (let's face it, it isn't cost effective to move it) because good people were afraid to go. :twocents:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    You can call the In St Fair office and ask them to change it. I've talked with the director and is interested, but I think the whole board has to vote on it.

I vote with my $ and have not gone since they changed the rule. Call the Gov office and tell them the same thing.

This is going to be a tough year for them and I think they will make rule changes for next year.......

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    You can call the In St Fair office and ask them to change it. I've talked with the director and is interested, but I think the whole board has to vote on it.

I vote with my $ and have not gone since they changed the rule. Call the Gov office and tell them the same thing.

This is going to be a tough year for them and I think they will make rule changes for next year.......

This is an excellent idea. I'm going to call later today. Maybe a letter writing campaign or petition?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just curious...

In any way, shape, or form, can the ISF or ISF Board be considered a political entity?

-J-

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    State cover, but what about Lake County fair? Sorry I havent had a chance o take a fine tooth comb through the new laws

Lake County Fair is a NO GO! Bill B looked it up. The LCF is run by a private organization for the county. So while the event is on public property it is run by a private entity which has a rule of no firearms. So if you take one you are breaking their rule and the new IC says you will be tossed out, they could keep your gun. If you refuse to leave say hello to trespassing.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._laws_and_county_fairgrounds.html#post1996720

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    80 IAC 4-4-4
    Deadly weapons prohibited
    Authority: IC 15-13-2-9
    Affected: IC 15-13-2; IC 15-13-7

(b) No person in possession of a deadly weapon shall be permitted onto or be permitted to remain on the fairgrounds during
    the annual state fair.

So Chuck Norris isn't allowed at the State Fair, interesting!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Arggh - that is aggravating. You'd be better off CCing the gun out and into the fair in that situation that leaving it in the parking lot.

Wouldn't matter. Exiting the car is a felony. :rolleyes:

The law needs changed. So does ISF policy.

Blessings,
    Bill

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    My girlfriend wants to drag me there this evening. I am still undecided on my course of action. This is a tough one. If they didn't say they can keep the gun it would be a no brainer. That is screwed up. It's so dang hot out I can't even layer up to help things. Hopefully the cops are a little more focused on being productive than patting down passers by.

Top Bottom