• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 25mux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Anderson, IN
    I did a quick search, and did not find anything, and if I missed it I do apologize.

I have both a glock 21 and a glock 36, the 36 is what I routinely carry. I have not been carrying long and I was curious what ammo most others carry especially in .45 caliber.

I am fairly recently separated from the USMC, and prior to now all my ammo has been supplied (read:issued) and I am curious as to what the best carry ammo is. Thanks

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    First, thank you for your service bro.

The topic of carry ammo will go on for ever in the gun forums. But in our current ammo crisis go with what ever major manufactured hollow point that you are able to find. Speer Gold Dots & Corbon DPX are what I use.

But honestly, if you shoot any creature on earth in the face they will tend to leave you alone.

TK

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I carry Golden Sabers in my Sig, but would be comfortable with any major manufacturer's hollow point ammo. Just stay away from the gimmicky stuff, stay with a reputable brand, and you'll be fine.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    .45acp. Carry Load..

Most any of the current SD hollow point will work--IF they work in your pistol.
    You would not go wrong with what you were issued=.230 Ball--It will drop most any two or four legged critter on this earth..Bill.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For starters, welcome back to the civi world man, lots of 'former' Marines to include myself. Secondly: sticking with hollow points is a no brainer as FMJ is more through-n-through which = more unintended casualties.

I carry Hornady Critical Defense, Gold Dot or any other reputable name-brand HP's will be just fine. In the winter time it's recommended you opt for heavier loads vs. lighter ones (180grn vs 165/155grn for .40 for example) due to heavier coats like leather jackets and multiple layers being common, and lighter loads for summer-time to avoid over penetration. Always have in mind your backstop might not always be a brick wall.

As long as energy is transferred from the projectile to the first target, with minimal fragmentation (depending on who you ask), yer good.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I believe Federal HST (Hydra-Shock Two, as in version 2.0) is the gold standard and is used by most police. Normally I can find it for $26/50 which is about half the price of civilian commercial hollow points, such as Speer Gold Dot, since those are sold in packs of 20. You cannot buy HST at WalMart or any big brand store, since it is labelled Leo only by the manufacturer, but you can buy it online or maybe at your LGS. At least that is how it was the last time I checked.

My second favorite is Winchester Ranger, and it also fits the descriptions above.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    In my .45 I run either Remington golden sabers or federal hydro shocks. Both have run well for me. Hornady makes some great loads right now also. As stated before right now just about any of the factory jhp loads will be fine.

Everyone has their own opinion on what is best, you just need to find which one runs the best through your gun and go with it.

jb1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    cosermann: That first link is a great resource. I just applied for my LTCH, and honestly reading something like that then signing it ought to be mandatory.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I have had great success with golden sabers and critical defense. I lean towards critical defense due to the polymer tip. Feeds like ball but won't clog.

Top Bottom