• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Oh. Allow me to help you. When you approach a roundabout, yield to traffic already going around the circle. If there are multiple lanes on the roundabout, decide ahead of time which lane you'll need. Generally three-lane roundabouts are used for the busiest 4-way crossroads and work like this. The inside lane is for taking the the road that is ~270 degrees around the roundabout from where you are. The middle lane is for taking the road that is across from where you are. The outside lane is for taking the road directly to the right of where you are. So when you have a clear path to the lane in the roundabout you need, turn right and merge onto the circle in the lane you need. Once on the circle you have the right-of-way. DON'T ****ING STOP! Keep going until you reach the road you need then merge onto that road. Multiple lane roundabouts have solid and dashed lines. STAY IN YOUR LANE. When you reach the road you need to turn on, if you're in the correct lane the line will become a dashed line and it should be easy to tell where you should go.

See? As Sam Axe used to say, it's "easy-peazy". Okay, so it doesn't take a whole paragraph to explain how to navigate a four-way intersection with a traffic light. But it IS better. I promise.
    Yield? Merge? I don't think they teach these skills in driving school.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This ought to be loads of round-about fun. How about a "high speed" round-about? This one is/was under consideration for the IN-37/54 intersection at Avoca.

image_zpszciubbwv.png

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Dude, I'm old, but I'm no lady.

Traffic circles suck.

yes they do

Oh. Allow me to help you. When you approach a roundabout, yield to traffic already going around the circle. If there are multiple lanes on the roundabout, decide ahead of time which lane you'll need. Generally three-lane roundabouts are used for the busiest 4-way crossroads and work like this. The inside lane is for taking the the road that is ~270 degrees around the roundabout from where you are. The middle lane is for taking the road that is across from where you are. The outside lane is for taking the road directly to the right of where you are. So when you have a clear path to the lane in the roundabout you need, turn right and merge onto the circle in the lane you need. Once on the circle you have the right-of-way. DON'T ****ING STOP! Keep going until you reach the road you need then merge onto that road. Multiple lane roundabouts have solid and dashed lines. STAY IN YOUR LANE. When you reach the road you need to turn on, if you're in the correct lane the line will become a dashed line and it should be easy to tell where you should go.

See? As Sam Axe used to say, it's "easy-peazy". Okay, so it doesn't take a whole paragraph to explain how to navigate a four-way intersection with a traffic light. But it IS better. I promise.

Don't care.

still suck

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I guess I'm just gifted...but traffic circles are pretty simple. The only time I had to ponder a bit was in Cyprus, but I also had to ponder a bit at 4 way stops because they insist on driving on the wrong side of the road. Probably because the cars there are all post office models.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Oh. Allow me to help you. When you approach a roundabout, yield to traffic already going around the circle.

When I was first stationed in Germany, right on the border with the Netherlands, the Germans and the Dutch had exactly the opposite rule for who yields at a traffic circle. Made life entertaining for new American drivers who were still trying to remember all the road signs. They eventually got it coordinated on their way to one big happy Euro family.

...Multiple lane roundabouts have solid and dashed lines. STAY IN YOUR LANE. ...
    Is this an Indiana thing? I don't recall a single lane marking on the ones in Europe, and there are a few down here in Texas, no lane markings on them either. Just think of is as NASCAR in the small...

There's a Dutch city that has eliminated all traffic lights and put roundabouts on most, if not all intersections. Traffic accidents decreased because, it is thought, everyone has to actually pay attention to everyone else at the intersection.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The trick in Carmel seems to be if you want to exit at the first right you get in the LEFT lane entering the roundabout. You do a complete 450 degree circle then block the guy that was in the right lane next to you entering the roundabout.

Nate@TeamAB

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Lafayette
    Multiple lanes in a roundabout sounds amazing. I picture the left lane drivers who refuse to use anything but the left lane getting "stuck" and driving in a circle :cool:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The first roundabout I ever encountered (besides Monument Circle in Indy) was in Australia in 2000. I asked the girl I was visiting how they determined who had the right of way (there was no obvious signage that I could see). Her answer? "Whoever is the bravest!" :):

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Multiple lanes in a roundabout sounds amazing. I picture the left lane drivers who refuse to use anything but the left lane getting "stuck" and driving in a circle :cool:

I hate those with a passion. They are the worst, because, as described above, you have to try to get back over, but people in Carmel don't understand proper etiquette and, since the world revolves around them, they view it as their God given mission to try and make your life horrid and keep you stuck.

I love roundabouts, but hate Carmel.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I hate those with a passion. They are the worst, because, as described above, you have to try to get back over, but people in Carmel don't understand proper etiquette and, since the world revolves around them, they view it as their God given mission to try and make your life horrid and keep you stuck.

I love roundabouts, but hate Carmel.

You're just jealous you don't have cool statues.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

[video=youtube;iAgX6qlJEMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc[/video]

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    If one can think and pay attention to the signs and painted traffic flow arrows roundabouts are really simple. I live next to one and it is a blessing during rush hour. Also it stops the drunks from excessive speeding in a 30mph zone real fast. I sometimes giggle when I see lengthy skid marks and then a ****ed up car in the center of one.

Chuck

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If one can think and pay attention to the signs and painted traffic flow arrows roundabouts are really simple. I live next to one and it is a blessing during rush hour. Also it stops the drunks from excessive speeding in a 30mph zone real fast. I sometimes giggle when I see lengthy skid marks and then a ****ed up car in the center of one.

Chuck

Think and pay attention? C'mon man! That's too much work for people nowadays.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    You're just jealous you don't have cool statues.

I always tease my Carmel friends about their roundabouts paved with gold bricks...

We have a few here in town and I really like them. One I use daily on the way to dropping my daughter off at work. I rarely have to wait for someone on that one. Another one really sucks around rush hour time. It has a lot of east-west traffic with very few gaps, but it beats the four way stop, as even if you are going north-south, you probably will make it through in about the same time you would at the 4 way.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I always tease my Carmel friends about their roundabouts paved with gold bricks...

We have a few here in town and I really like them. One I use daily on the way to dropping my daughter off at work. I rarely have to wait for someone on that one. Another one really sucks around rush hour time. It has a lot of east-west traffic with very few gaps, but it beats the four way stop, as even if you are going north-south, you probably will make it through in about the same time you would at the 4 way.

It's not only about continuous movement. Prior to having roundabouts, I can think of some pretty nasty accidents on our thoroughfares. Since then, I can only think of two fatalities (96th/Westfield and Main/Hazel Dell) which have occurred at those previous 4 way stop/lighted intersections. And the vast majority of other accidents we have are also alcohol related.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Whatever. They suck. I don't care if stop signs and lights aren't as efficient in terms of traffic throughput. Stop signs and lights are simple.

yes they do

Don't care.

still suck

You are clearly an erudite and perceptive individual, sir.

Chuck

Simple, schmimple. They still suck, Chuck. HAHA! I made a rhyme!

(how are you, buddy?)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom