• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I work a lot and can't have my gun on me at work. I'd like to still have it in my car so I have it when I do stuff after work. Any good recommendations on car safes? I don't want to leave it loose in my car.

alexIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Fishers
    I've this and it works pretty well. There's also a bigger version but it's a bit tight under car seats. It's not the most secure, but it's better than storing it in your glove compartment *shudder*

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I prefer the fort Knox safe myself.

Constructed of a rugged 10 gauge body and a massive 3/16” wrap around door. It also features a gas strut to assist opening and a Simplex lock along with our famous Lifetime Warranty.
    4 1/4″ H 12 1/2″ wide 10 3/4″ deep. Weighs 22 pounds

This is where I got the idea.

[video=youtube_share;AnH158grrfY]http://youtu.be/AnH158grrfY[/video]

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, good for you on looking to secure your firearm when left in your vehicle. Many firearms are stolen from vehicles every year.

I rarely leave a firearm in a vehicle, and rely on one of those cabled steel boxes when I do, but I've longed for and would really like a bolted down solution like lonehoosier shows above. Just haven't had time to do the work yet.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I have the Nano Vault 100. It comes with a cable to tie it down to one of the seat mounts.

I have the same one. About the same security as a chain lock on your front door. Anyone with any determination could probably rip the thing out of your car without tools and pry into pretty easily later. It basically adds another layer of protection:

• Locked doors and car alarm first.
    • Parking in a busy well lit location.
    • Having the Nano hidden and people not watching you put your gun in it.
    • Not telling people you have a gun in your car.

We have no children in our home but when we stay at the inlaws who do have kids I will use the Nano in the bedroom while we sleep/shower to keep little hands away.

Depending on what size your gun is and what other items you might want to secure inside you might go the next size up.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I'm in the market for a truck safe too...Anybody have one of these...looks like they make them for most trucks.

Toyota Tacoma Floor Console: 2005 - 2015

I had one of these console vaults in my Tundra. Very sturdy, easy to install, good security. I ended up getting rid of it because they only had a keyed lock option for the Tundra instead of a numeric lock.

gewehr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    I second the Ft. Knox pistol vaults. They make one specifically for vehicles. The nano type vaults will just slow a thief down, which maybe all it takes to prevent a theft.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I may start with a nano vault until I can set the cash aside for a Ft. Knox vault. A bolt down safe seems to be the most secure option.

gewehr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Also, consider that NRA membership comes with up to $1000 insurance in case of theft. Knew a couple folks that had the guns stolen that didn't know this.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I may start with a nano vault until I can set the cash aside for a Ft. Knox vault. A bolt down safe seems to be the most secure option.

With a drill and some creativity you should be able to bolt down the Nano also. Still not a terribly robust lock but almost as cheap as using a shoe box if you don't have the coin for a more expensive vault.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    With a drill and some creativity you should be able to bolt down the Nano also. Still not a terribly robust lock but almost as cheap as using a shoe box if you don't have the coin for a more expensive vault.
    Yeah, I had thought of that. It's just a matter of picking the right place to drill holes in my car.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Something I saw a while back was the Titan Safe System because of the variety of ways to adapt their different parts to what your situation dictates. Pricey, but I've heard good things about them, like the Fort Knox stuff...

Thanks for the link. Don't think I'd seen those before. I like the system you get with all the mounting brackets and such, although I noticed they're significantly thinner boxes than the Ft. Knox boxes (i.e. 14 and 16 ga. steel vs. 10 ga.)

Last edited:

mark f

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    hebron
    Be careful with under seat safe I have power seats and when I adjusted my wifes seat I crushed in the locking mech. could not open safe with key.

Top Bottom