Car guys: Worst repair job you've ever seen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    The whole body is part of the structure. Every piece works together to properly crumple up and protect the occupants. The only way to fix rust is to cut it out and replace it with steel, not cover it up with fiberglass.....

How's that work out on a Corvettes, Saturns, Shelbys (fiberglass dog house), Buicks plastic fenders. Not rust, but the fiberglass part? No structure?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    How's that work out on a Corvettes, Saturns, Shelbys (fiberglass dog house), Buicks plastic fenders. Not rust, but the fiberglass part? No structure?
    Those cars are engineered differently.... They have a steel structure underneath. Two completely different animals. I take it you've never seen a rusty Corvette?

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Four words: Orange Pontiac Astre Wagon. I think my Dad was trying to make sure I didn't get laid in HS.

Had the 2.5l 'Iron Duke' engine with an 8 track. 

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Those cars are engineered differently.... They have a steel structure underneath. Two completely different animals. I take it you've never seen a rusty Corvette?

Steel structure underneath? You mean a frame? A rusty body on a Corvette?

Care to explain how a Saturn (unibody), Shelby (unibody) or Buick (unibody) is engineered differently than other unibody cars.

Last edited:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Steel structure underneath? You mean a frame? A rusty body on a Corvette?

Care to explain how a Saturn (unibody), Shelby (unibody) or Buick (unibody) is engineered differently than other unibody cars.
    No I don't care. I don't recall saying anything about a frame or a rusty body on a Corvette. I also don't recall staring anything about unibody or non unibody cars. That's not what this thread is about. If you feel that repairing rust with fiberglass is the right way to do things, then that's your problem. I'm not here for a pissing contest, we are here to talk about crappy repairs.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    No I don't care. I don't recall saying anything about a frame or a rusty body on a Corvette. I also don't recall staring anything about unibody or non unibody cars. That's not what this thread is about. If you feel that repairing rust with fiberglass is the right way to do things, then that's your problem. I'm not here for a pissing contest, we are here to talk about crappy repairs.

Just thought you might teach me something. You did say they were engineered differently and ask about a rusty Corvette.

"Those cars are engineered differently.... They have a steel structure underneath. Two completely different animals. I take it you've never seen a rusty Corvette?"

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The whole body is part of the structure. Every piece works together to properly crumple up and protect the occupants. The only way to fix rust is to cut it out and replace it with steel, not cover it up with fiberglass.....

I agree that is the right way to fix it, at least one of the right ways. But what is the safety concern for covering up the rust, rather than leaving it uncovered?

If you feel that repairing rust with fiberglass is the right way to do things, then that's your problem. I'm not here for a pissing contest, we are here to talk about crappy repairs.

I don't think I've read anywhere that repairing rust with fiberglass is the right way to do things, at least not how you described it. Heck don't they sell glass replacement parts for some cars? At least hoods and door skins, and iirc front fenders. If it was that big of a safety concern, don't you think they would have been sued out of existence?

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I agree that is the right way to fix it, at least one of the right ways. But what is the safety concern for covering up the rust, rather than leaving it uncovered?

I don't think I've read anywhere that repairing rust with fiberglass is the right way to do things, at least not how you described it. Heck don't they sell glass replacement parts for some cars? At least hoods and door skins, and iirc front fenders. If it was that big of a safety concern, don't you think they would have been sued out of existence?

Question not directed to me but...... No, the proper way would be complete panel replacement at factory seams. Back in the day was fiberglass used? Yes (but most likely duraglass). Patch panels weren't available for a lot of cars so they sold "door bottoms" or the body man made panels. Problem was the replacement metal was non galvanized and rust would soon come back, or show up in a different spot. Cars have been produced with fiberglass and aluminium for many years. Today you see plastic/ steel, and fiberglass ( note there are two fiberglass materials traditional and SMC, sheet molded compound) parts factory.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ford had an issue with the white paint on 2003-2006 ish model years where it didn't properly adhere. Instead of fixing the problem with new paint, the city just slaps some vinyl over the peeling paint and calls it a day. Some of what we put on the road, fleet wise, is an embarrassment to the entire city, the department, and the individual officer who has to drive those pieces of crap.

I agree it does look rather crappy. But it is a cost saver as compared to painting every car with peeling paint. Many other city agencies have vehicles in much worse condition than IMPD. But in general they are kept in safe operating condition.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    1967, 390 Horse Power, Ah takes me back to my Misspent Youth.
    So close! This one is supposed to be a 400 horse, it has a lot of incorrect parts. The engine you're looking at is a 1970 454 crate block. The story goes that the original engine was stolen years ago, but whoever did that left the original intake and carbs..... I'm gonna say insurance claim after a night of racing. Fort Wayne car it's whole life, you may have seen it back in the day.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I don't remember a Blue Big Block Corvette. My friend had a Red/Black 67, 390 HP with the factory Side Pipes. Turned on to Hillegas off Spring after a night of Street Racing and he got on it. End of second gear #6 Piston exploded (Cast Pistons) and it kicked the Rod out the side. I felt all the Shrapnel hitting the floor. Just one of our numerous Adventures. That was a Great Time to Come of Age!( notice I didn't say Grow Up, I Refuse to)

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Had work done on my truck by Guarantee Auto (remember them) at Southern Plaza back in the late 70's. Guys fixed my truck and then took it out joy riding. Back over the front of a girls new parked car. My old 1970 Chevy didn't have a scratch on it. Her car had to have a new front end put on. She had some little car like a Pinto or Chevette. Needless to say, the store manager and the service manager (both were in the truck) lost their jobs and cops found a couple of joints on them. Yes, theirs, I didn't do that crap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just thought you might teach me something. You did say they were engineered differently and ask about a rusty Corvette.

"Those cars are engineered differently.... They have a steel structure underneath. Two completely different animals. I take it you've never seen a rusty Corvette?"

Rusty does restoration work on the cars we all lust for. He does it right

Corvettes have a frame. I have seen 2 Vettes that were retrieved from long naps in barns etc that had frames that were beyond repair.
    The design of a unibody differs from car to car/Manf to Manf.
    Plastic fenders will not support anything but paint so the structure is designed around this.
    Rust needs to be completely removed or it will be back. It is inevitable. Cut it out and replace the metal.
    well, unless you are a flipper and just cobbling something together to pass along.....:dunno:

We have used dura glass. It is a way to get there but not on a car I would keep.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    so where did my 3/4 million dollars go last month that I spent on my 15k car fleet Far from non-existent

OK.....we have rented so many cars over the years. Race teams. Traveling etc. We had a bet. Pull the dip stick and check the oil.
    Dirty/low/clean (almost never clean) and loser buys the 1st round after the track.
    I have known some alleged mechanics that worked for some of the local agency's and the story's are amusing.
    Friends have bought the leftovers when they mile out and are sold. Never keep them.

If you are doing the maint. then good on you.

"WHO" are you...???

Top Bottom