• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Traveling on business with a company pool car. I got the bottom of the barrel, last car available. A 2012 Camry with 200k.

At highway speeds it will be fine for a while, then slowly a vibration will show up. Not violent, but noticeable. no wheel shimmy in the steering and I cant quite tell where its coming from. Feels like a severely out of balance wheel. Then after a while it calms down. It seems worse on brand new concrete where they have scored in the slots parallel to travel. (could be coincidence/my imagination)

And I'm not sure if it was the ramp at the time, but one time while it was doing it at highway speed, I got off the interstate and as I was rolling slowly it felt like the vibration was still there but very slow and pronounced. It reminded me of an out of balance washing machine spinning down to a stop. or a wheel that is out of round.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Could be a tire out of balance or maybe a belt separating. But, could also be a hub bearing or a suspension component with just a skosh of excess play. If it's not causing any steering wheel "shimmy" try to see if the vibration has a more pronounced feel in the seat. If you feel it more in the seat it's most likely in the rear of the car. If it's only a slight vibration, send it. Nothing parties like a rental or a loaner

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Could be a tire out of balance or maybe a belt separating. But, could also be a hub bearing or a suspension component with just a skosh of excess play. If it's not causing any steering wheel "shimmy" try to see if the vibration has a more pronounced feel in the seat. If you feel it more in the seat it's most likely in the rear of the car. If it's only a slight vibration, send it. Nothing parties like a rental or a loaner
    YEah, currently traveling until Thursday nite in northern OH. Fun times.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Is it possible both rear wheels are slightly out of balance? It would only get bad when they're synced up, otherwise they might kind of cancel each other out?? Spitballing on that one.

I wouldn't think it would be a bearing causing noticeable vibrations without causing very noticeable noise doing so.

As to the fixaflat gunk... No idea. Never used that crap, and don't intend to. Sounds plausible though.

Hope it's not a tranny issue, as that kind of issue could go critical sooner than later...at only 200k, I'd hope that's not it though.

Was it me, I'd check the tread patterns on all 4 tires looking for any weirdness...flat spots, repaired punctures, bulges, waviness in the tread that shouldn't be there, etc. Tires are the most easily dealt with if they're the guilty parties.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is it possible both rear wheels are slightly out of balance? It would only get bad when they're synced up, otherwise they might kind of cancel each other out?? Spitballing on that one.

I wouldn't think it would be a bearing causing noticeable vibrations without causing very noticeable noise doing so.

As to the fixaflat gunk... No idea. Never used that crap, and don't intend to. Sounds plausible though.

Hope it's not a tranny issue, as that kind of issue could go critical sooner than later...at only 200k, I'd hope that's not it though.

Was it me, I'd check the tread patterns on all 4 tires looking for any weirdness...flat spots, repaired punctures, bulges, waviness in the tread that shouldn't be there, etc. Tires are the most easily dealt with if they're the guilty parties.
    I never said the damn car was quiet. Bearings are quite loud. But then again, its an old car.

Going through all that is above my pay grade. As long as I get home, I'll let the transportation guy know about the high speed vibration and let him take it from there.

Worst case he retires it and sells it and I might have to use my POV (and charge them mileage) on future trips. If he has free vehicles we get to use them. if not, we get mileage.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Out of balance tires usually have a vibration consistent with the speed. If it varies, sounds more like a bad shock or strut. Just a guess. Do you have a loose wheel?? (lug nuts)

Top Bottom