• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    In carjacking scenario I don't think a knife would work. A sawed off would be too unwieldy inside the cab of a truck. If I am in my truck and the gun is in a holster near my right hand I am not worried about anyone getting to it first.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    First I want to thank you for reminding me to get my EDC out of my truck. =) I have yet to find a holster that is even semi-comfortable while seated in my vehicle and while it is holstering my EDC. For that reason, I hacked up a POS Fobus leftover from my first firearm purchase and mounted it in the center console. When I am in my truck i put my EDC in there. Thus, no need for a "car gun." Is this a common practice, though? If there is one concern that I have about my weapons is that they may be stolen and used in the commission of a crime against innocent people. Thus, I try to NEVER leave my guns, knives, tasers, grenades, etc. in the truck when I'm not in it.

-Dobber

(Kidding about the grenades.)

Lafayette Yeti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I generally have 3 guns in the truck when I'm in it. I keep a small Phoenix Arms .22 underneath my visor for quick reach (carjacking, just in case). I keep my AR behind the seat, cased and loaded and then I usually have my carry gun on me. When I'm working the carry gun goes in a secret hiding spot.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My EDC (Glock 27 or Glock 23) is on me, a spare Glock is in the Center of Mass keyed clamshell under the seat. Full size .40 in the trunk with extra ammo, so if I ever forget to carry, I am usualy near my car, if the car is stolen, perps have new Glocks.

If I am away from my car, unarmed, well.....shame on me!

Mglii

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    i carry in the waistband at 4 o'clock position which tends to make drawing a little difficult while sitting in the car. So for that reason my Back-up gun is in the center console just in front of my floor shifter.

However, I don't feel comfortable leaving it in plan sight like that if i am not in the car so it goes with me when I get out. so i guess it is not really a Car gun but rather i gun I open carry in the car

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    I have my STAR Super Model B in mine. Like most people said, it's easier for me to reach into the glove box and grab it as opposed to pulling my primary side arm from the sitting position.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you have young children or even teenagers in your car, they would be less likely to access the gun if it is in the trunk, rather than in glove box or under the seat. Just something to think about.

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    i like the little LCP in the pocket, in the car an inexpencive "truck gun" like a kel-tec 9mm...that wouldnt be a "great loss" if stolen,,the good stuff back at the house ...

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    Car guns

It might not be ideal, but at least it gives you a decent chance in a self-defense encounter. As has been stated earlier, with so many workplace prohibitions on carrying guns on your person, this is the only option for many people.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Used to have a truck gun it was a snub mosed 44. Spl, when ever I would park and go into a place where I was required to disarm I would hide it inside the steering wheel of my truck, quick easy to get to due to the make and model, and safe since I don't know any theif willing to disassemble a steering wheel to look for valubles. So a car gun does have some value if you use you imagination

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I grab an AR every morning and take it with me in the truck which is easier to manipulate/ get too (because seat belts, shirt, arm rest) than my sidearm in the truck anyway (SBR), I also take it in every night (obviously I have my sidearm with me at all times along with knifes)....

I like to fight with the best weapon/firepower possible (within reason, no I don't walk around with my AR strapped to my chest like a tool bag, hell, most of the time I CC too), so if I can have that option I will use it, IE. that's why I keep an AR in the vehicle with me. But when I leave the truck I obviously have my sidearm, situational awareness, knifes, and things then, because at that time those are my best weapons to fight with within reason.

It's pretty simple really, if you knew you were going into a fire fight would you grab your side arm or your long gun? Thought so, that's why I try to have the most firepower available to me within reason at all times.

I am fortunate enough to even be able to bring the AR in to my job if I didn't want to leave it it the truck (though normally I'm in or very near my truck all day). So saying that, my plans my be different if my job was not so pro gun.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    I personally keep weapons in my vehicle, in case my house is robbed, so they don't get the mother lode while i'm at work. Plain and simple, it's a numbers game and I don't want to give the thief all of my numbers.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I just bought a Rossi .357 for a car gun- conveniently enough, the guy who sold it to me gave me a left handed Uncle Mikes holster for it. I'm planning on mounting it under the steering column somewhere for easy access while in the car.

As for why keep a car gun, for me, its like any other BUG, serving multiple purposes:
    1) in case of firearm failure
    2) fastest form of reload
    3) arm someone else in an emergency

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I just bought a Rossi .357 for a car gun- conveniently enough, the guy who sold it to me gave me a left handed Uncle Mikes holster for it. I'm planning on mounting it under the steering column somewhere for easy access while in the car.

As for why keep a car gun, for me, its like any other BUG, serving multiple purposes:
    1) in case of firearm failure
    2) fastest form of reload
    3) arm someone else in an emergency

Very good reasons, not a lot of people think about a scenario where reason #3 might be nessecary.

Top Bottom