• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KW12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Northside Indy
    So been wondering about this for some time, figured I'd post the question here. Why have a car gun?

The way I figure, having it in your glovebox won't help much if you need it, and you're risking having it stolen if someone breaks in. So is there a good reason to keep a gun in your car, other than just for the heck of it?

:dunno:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Handgun? I guess as a backup, should you need it..

Rifle or shotgun, that I could see.. as I've read many times before, a handgun is simply to allow you to fight to your longgun. There are enough folks getting nagged for OC of a handgun to make me want to leave my AR secured in my vehicle rather than taking it into Wal-Mart or Steak n Shake.. :P

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Depends on your personal defense plan. The way I see it; I carry enough on me (theoretically) to get me to my vehicle. There I have additional magazines/weapons in enough abundance to (theoretically) get me home. Then it's "home free."

Many carry a secondary firearm on them and/or another in car. It's just a matter of your day to day activities and what YOU feel the most likely scenarios to happen to you will be.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you carry daily, then there might not be much value in a car gun. But, if you work at a place that does not allow carry, but does allow a gun in your car, there is a lot of value. I don't leave a gun in my car at home, but do keep one in the car while at work. My thought is that if there is something that touches off civil disorder while I'm at work, I want something with me on the way home.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Sometimes it is difficult to draw your EDC while seated and constrained by a seat belt. If you are running errands it means you could be taking it off and putting it back on all day. What a PITA. I am considering some type of holster mount for the truck which I could put a functional and reliable yet less valuable gun in. Carjacking still happens and I would hate to be in that position with my normal carry gun in its IWB.

Hurculeasz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    We have a car gun for my wife. She does not like to carry one on her person throughout the day, but likes to have one close if needed.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    For me... as someone who carries a pistol every day, every where, on my hip...
    If I'm going to be in the car for long... I like to have a back-up gun in the center console.

My reason?
    If you carry a pistol... You NEED to practice drawing from your holster while sitting in your car with the seat belt on.
    In a real world scenario, I don't feel as though I reacted quickly enough by taking my seat belt off and lifting my mid-section to un-holster.
    Having one in a holster sitting between the seat or center console? It's just a peace of mind for me.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Handgun that I carry everyday goes in the glovebox only at work(not gun friendly at the office). I have been working on a mount for the AR in the trunk as the back up. I guess I like the old saying. A handgun is what you use to fight your way back to your rifle!!

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Some folks can't carry at work, but they can leave it in their car, I can see having a dedicated car gun for them being a good thing as it reduces the likelihood of not having it when needed; but there is still matter of securing it and keeping it accessible.

I can also see having a dedicated long gun that is moderately accessible. I've read lots of times about how far fetched such a need would be, with that constant securing of it limiting access and maneuvering it within the vehicle being difficult. However if one has car trouble in the middle of nowhere, it wouldn't be that hard to lay it on the ground in front of you while changing a tire, or keeping it within reach under the hood. Just because I can fight back to my car doesn't mean I won't have a dead battery or for some other reason will be able to drive away (perhaps I've been boxed in or some such), and if I'm forced to stand and fight I can see wanting the option of more firepower than I carry with me to buy myself time to get cover concealment and out of harms way back to safety.

I can see and understand wanting one, it's been too much of a logistical issue for me to determine a method that secures the firearm from others while providing me ready access in the event of needing it. Until I have a clear idea on how to solve that, I'm not yet investing into a dedicated car gun, even though a part of me thinks a car SBR in a future day and world without the SBR stigma and tax stamps and hassle and preventions from crossing certain state lines would be a highly valuable asset and eventually part of the standard lineup of firearms (concealable handgun, service size HD handgun, HD shotgun, HD carbine, bolt action rifle, .22 long gun, .22 handgun)

XDream9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Avon
    My EDC is my car gun. When I'm out of the house the only time it is off of my hip is when i'm in my car. Then it's tucked away so I can have immediate access.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think I will probably get one of the Hi Power clones on GB and use it for that dedicated purpose. I can get an inexpensive holster and figure out a way to affix it to the center console so it is easily within reach of my right hand. One of those parkerized clones should hold up well and with an extended mag I should have plenty of cocked and locked firepower. Plus, they are only about $250.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    A lock box is a very nice addition to a car (truck), It won't guarantee against theft, but it beats an unlocked glovebox. I honestly think the benefits of having a "car gun", far outweigh the risk of not having one. Always be aware that you have the gun with you, don't drive on school property, or post office property, etc..

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think I will probably get one of the Hi Power clones on GB and use it for that dedicated purpose. I can get an inexpensive holster and figure out a way to affix it to the center console so it is easily within reach of my right hand. One of those parkerized clones should hold up well and with an extended mag I should have plenty of cocked and locked firepower. Plus, they are only about $250.

An FM Hi Power would make an excellent car gun. They are great guns and most have a rough parkerized finish that will not look worse after banging around inside the car or lockbox. Just remember to lube it once in a while to keep it from rusting.

I've used a Fobus holster clipped to the door pocket from time to time for carry while driving and it does make the gun very handy. Something like that, but mounted below the steering column would be even better for putting your carry gun in while driving.

One thing to be careful of though, is your gun flying around the inside of your car if you are in an accident. I'd hate to have my car pistol whip me in the midst of an accident.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I'm unable to carry a gun at work as well, so this topic has been on my mind. I was thinking about keeping the pistol in my car while at work (or just out and about) and then taking it home or wherever with me on my person. As I'm just starting out, I'll only have one handgun for the time being. But I figure I might as well spend plenty of time with it until I can afford to start looking at other setups. For people that carry regularly I guess I can see how a dedicated car gun would be redundant. Never hurts to have a backup though...I'd rather it be stolen than ever have to say gee I wish I had kept that gun in my car...

ravenwoodranch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Martinsville
    I personally have my BOB in my trunk along with my ar-pistol but I take it in and out of the car . Myi.ssue with a car gun is that I'm unsure if it is legal to leave it loaded while not iyour posetion

Tattoo Jack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    For all who has a "backup/extra" in a car what if you are depending on that peice and the perp gets to it before you? Why not have a knife for close calls and your carry peice for your security blanket?

Top Bottom