• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I took my Henry 22 pump apart to replace the receiver cover and now can't figure out how to get it back together again. Considering there are only three parts it is frustrating but I have asked two other experienced gun guys to look at it and they couldn't figure it out either. The pumps are hard to find but I am guessing they probably work similar to the lever actions. Anyone have a Henry and know the secret??? There is nothing in the manual except an exploaded view of all the parts which does not help at all. HELP!

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    HOO3R

Is this the rifle?

Henry Repeating Arms Rifles

If so, can you show us the pictures of the parts?

It is their 22LR pump rifle. Tomorrow I will take a photo of what I am talking about, it looks so simple. Manual is on here: http://www.henryrepeating.com/download_manuals.cfm

Dick

Henry_H003R_b.jpg

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Some photos, hope this helps

Several views of assembly. Looks so simple, a three part assembly. When I opened it up the bolt stayed with the cover if that is any help. We can work the slide without the cover on but when we install the cover everything locks up. :dunno:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Have you tried half and/or full cocking the hammer and moving the operating handle forward out of the fully retracted position shown in the photos? Seems to me that this should allow the bolt to be positioned so that the operating mechanism can be engaged with it properly and the receiver cover to slide back into place.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Have you tried half and/or full cocking the hammer and moving the operating handle forward out of the fully retracted position shown in the photos? Seems to me that this should allow the bolt to be positioned so that the operating mechanism can be engaged with it properly and the receiver cover to slide back into place.

You have to put it at half cock to get the cover to come down over the gun. It looks like everything is lined up that needs to be but obviously something is wrong.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    All I'm saying is that all of the subassemblies need to be positioned at the same point in the cycle relative to one another as they would be if the machine was fully assembled for them to fit back together.

To illustrate from the photos: The operating slide is in the fully retracted position. Therefore, it's reasonable to think that the hammer needs to be at full cock and the bolt at the end of its travel in order for them to mesh properly. As long as the moving parts are positioned at different points in their cycle, it's also logical that they're not going to want to go back together.

IIWY, I'd start with the hammer fully cocked, place the bolt assembly somewhere in the middle of its travel path and move the slide handle until you feel it engage with the bolt. The receiver cover should then slip down into position so you can install the fasteners. I may be mistaken about this particular design, but this is the basic process that's worked for me on many other machines.

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    thanks

All I'm saying is that all of the subassemblies need to be positioned at the same point in the cycle as they would be relative to one another as they would be if the machine was fully assembled for them to fit back together.

To illustrate from the photos: The operating slide is in the fully retracted position. Therefore, it's reasonable to think that the hammer needs to be at full cock and the bolt at the end of its travel in order for them to mesh properly. As long as the moving parts are positioned at different points in their cycle, it's also logical that they're not going to want to go back together.

IIWY, I'd start with the hammer fully cocked, place the bolt assembly somewhere in the middle of its travel path and move the slide handle until you feel it engage with the bolt. The receiver cover should then slip down into position so you can install the fasteners. I may be mistaken about this particular design, but this is the basic process that's worked for me on many other machines.

I'll give it a try, I thought I tried every way but might have missed one. Let you know.

Dick

bcsd372

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Columbus
    FWIW....my Rossi 62 (similar to the Henry) is the "take down" model and it won't come apart (or go back together) unless the hammer is in the half-cocked position.

WeAreNotAlone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    All I'm saying is that all of the subassemblies need to be positioned at the same point in the cycle as they would be relative to one another as they would be if the machine was fully assembled for them to fit back together.

+1 to above,

Add that some designs require unit on SAFE, or FIRE, Hammer cocked, or not cocked.

Q: Has the OP contacted the mfg directly?
    Do they have a forum on the mfg's site? Are there sites that specialize in Henrys?

(I'm thinking that asking there, if Henry has a forum would get you a answer quicker.)

Seems like this would be a pretty common problem.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    WANA's post reminded me to add that Michiana could check the Henry Rifles forum at Rimfire Central. Lots of knowledgable folks there and generally very helpful. These Senior Moments are beginning to annoy me.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Thanks

WANA's post reminded me to add that Michiana could check the Henry Rifles forum at Rimfire Central. Lots of knowledgable folks there and generally very helpful. These Senior Moments are beginning to annoy me.

Didn't know it existed, will give it a try.

Thanks

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Rifle is headed back to the Henry factory

When you find the answer you seek....
    Post back the "details" - in as much detail as you can. .

I received a call from someone at Henry this afternoon in response to an email I sent them asking what am I doing wrong that I can't get the rifle back together. The lady said owners are not supposed to take them apart according to the manual. Told her they sent me a new cover and when I took the old cover off the bolt was inside of it. They are sending me a UPS call back tag and want me to return the rifle to the factory for them to put it back together. They are paying for the shipping both ways and the labor; great customer service. Hopefully in a couple weeks I will have a gun that shoots. Guess I will never know the secret as I sure as heck am not taking it apart again. :):

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Henry pump now fixed but don't know how they did it

When you find the answer you seek....
    Post back the "details" - in as much detail as you can..

I received my Henry pump back on Wednesday and it is working great again. I still don't know how it was put back together and was told that owners should not take their rifle apart; send it back to the factory. They don't have to worry about me doing that again.:D Live and learn. I give a +1+ for Henry's customer service and it didn't cost me a dime. :rockwoot:

Dick

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I was hoping to learn the secret, but glad you have it back together. I have and old box-lock tore apart now, can't get it to work with both hammers, here we go again!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was hoping to learn the secret, but glad you have it back together. I have and old box-lock tore apart now, can't get it to work with both hammers, here we go again!

Should've worked on a side-lock. Even I can put one of those back together. LOL

-J-

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom