Can't decide. Glock 23 or HK USP 40 Compact?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hghlndr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Kosciusko County
    I'm beginning to look around for a new carry weapon. I have looked at the HK Usp40 compact and the Glock 23. They are really close to the same size and hold the same amount of ammo. I would like any input that I can get. I have shot a USP 40 compact before and I currently carry a Glock 21 on duty. Thanks in advance.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    I would go with the Glock, if you carry the 21 on duty, you are already familiar with the battery of arms and trigger. Also you could take the money you are saving over the HK and buy extra mags/ammo

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I've owned both - I'd go with the Glock just for the price.

If you wanted a safe queen - go with the H&K but to me the Glock just seems like the practical approach.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Both will perform when expected to.
    I vote the HK, but only because it fits my hand better.
    (well, maybe a few other reasons but I don't want to be the start of an argument)

Hghlndr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Kosciusko County
    I'm going to check prices this weekend. I know I can get a good deal on the glock with my LE credentials, but the way I read the HK website it looks like it has to be your duty weapon to qualify.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Years ago when I was trying to make the same decision you are, it came down to money, as I was still a student at Purdue. That being said, I ended up with the 23 and could not be happier with it. Would I have been just as happy with the hk? Probably, but I may have been eating more ramen noodles than I would have liked. :) I think both are great guns, and will have one of the hk compacts one of these days. Good luck with your decision

devildawg00311

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Se Indy/Wanamaker
    Glock 23 all the way. Both guns are superb, but the Glock is extremely durable and its quite a bit cheaper then HK. Ive never had any problems with my 23. Id be afraid of scratching the HK with how much it costs.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I've owned both - I'd go with the Glock just for the price.

If you wanted a safe queen - go with the H&K but to me the Glock just seems like the practical approach.

so you don't want to hear I am carrying that HK on a daily basis that you sold me? ;)

You can't go wrong with either choice OP. My personal choice would be the HK though.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    so you don't want to hear I am carrying that HK on a daily basis that you sold me? ;)

You can't go wrong with either choice OP. My personal choice would be the HK though.

:)

Those H&K's are so pretty I never wanted to carry it, even with the super tuck.

Although I guess I really can't go with that suggestion considering my daily carry is a Kimber Tactical Ultra II until my supertuck makes it here for the G27.

I love H&K but if it were me I'd go with the Glock.

Mr.Strato

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Well, if you're LEO your price on a LE Glock (blue lable) will be 398$ std sights and 3 mags.
    I'm surprised, I find the 2 pistols you are comparing VASTLY different- to me the HK has a VERY high bore axis (or maybe the Glock has a very LOW bore axis?).
    You DO get "2nd strike" capability with the HK(ability to hit the primer again with just a trigger stroke)
    Spare mags are so easy to get for the Glock-and durable! I'm not amused with HK's expensive easily dinged metal mags.
    At 398 the Glock has to be the better value? If "value" means anything.
    Both will certainly do the job!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    G23!!! :rockwoot: Both are great guns I just personally dont care for HK. You cant go wrong either way, but if you carry a Glock on duty and are comfortable with its operation I would probably stick with that. Good luck with your decision.

Hghlndr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Kosciusko County
    I called today and found out that I can get a Gen4 G23 with trijicon night sights for $477. After all my research I believe I will go with the G23. Thanks for all the advice.

Hghlndr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Kosciusko County
    What is really bad is I use to hate Glocks. I thought they were the ugliest pistols made. After I was forced to carry one, I found them to be very accurate and reliable.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    What is really bad is I use to hate Glocks. I thought they were the ugliest pistols made. After I was forced to carry one, I found them to be very accurate and reliable.

It's all about how it feels in your hand and how well you can shoot with it. Great choice! :ingo:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    H&K hands down! I don't like the ergonomics of the Glock the grip angle on them are bad for me My natural point of aim on the draw is always high with the Glock, but is always on target with the H&K, but if your used to the Glock and that grip angle maybe you should stick with it.

Top Bottom