• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brocksdad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    I went out and baught my wife a M&P 9mm sc about a month ago. Got it home and she loved it, Except! for the feact the it doesnt have a saftey. OK. SO the other day we were out messing around and stoped buy a local gun shop, looked down through the glass and there it was. a M&P SC 9mm with a saftey. I said to the guy do you take trades he said well we have done so many trades lately we are not at the moment. that is just my luck. I figured at a gun shop I would hve to pay a little more for it being a new gun but I would never have thought I would have been turned down especially it being nearly the same gun and me willing to pay the diff.:dunno:

usaguy2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Bummer man.. Sounds like you have a little bit of my luck lol..Where abouts are you from? Prehaps another gun store is near and would have one?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    More money can be made off of used guns than new. Really surprised that they turned down a customer willing to trade and give boot. I know it's a drive but try Kiesler's just North of Louisville on 65.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Call S&W. Their customer service is bar none one of the best.

They can at a minimum tell you what your options are. My full size M&P9 has the spot for the safety, so I bet the 9c does as well.

but personally........ keep it holstered and your booger hook off the bang switch, and its as safe as anything else.

malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    Call S&W. Their customer service is bar none one of the best.

They can at a minimum tell you what your options are. My full size M&P9 has the spot for the safety, so I bet the 9c does as well.

but personally........ keep it holstered and your booger hook off the bang switch, and its as safe as anything else.

There is truth in those words...

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Mine 9c is a no safety model as and I love it. I can understand how it makes a person nervous. I know my wife would never want to carry a gun that had no safety. I with the guy who said a shop makes more off used weapons than new. Don't know why they wouldn't want to trade unless M&P's weren't selling good in that shop.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    It is a combat gun!! It acts just like a revolver you load it and keep your finger off the trigger it is safe and will not fire!! you pull the trigger it fires, personally that is what I want in a self defense gun!! just my two cents worth!!

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I'd rather not carry a handgun that has a safety if I can avoid it. It don't believe it prevents negligent discharges, and is just one more thing to stumble over when you need to make a shot.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The frames of the M&P pistols with safeties are different from the frames that don't have 'em.

Physical notches for the lever.

-J-

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    Evansville, but I dont like any of the local shops LOL :xmad:

sorry to hear about that. I'm from evansville as well and I agree that most of the shops, while they have decent selection, aren't much fun to deal with. Kinda curious to know which shop wouldn't take your trade, it you don't mind me askin.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Maybe try Whittakers in Owensboro? There is an Evansville FFL who picks up cross-state transfers from there on Saturdays and you then can pick it up in Evansville for $10-$15.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    It is a combat gun!! It acts just like a revolver you load it and keep your finger off the trigger it is safe and will not fire!! you pull the trigger it fires, personally that is what I want in a self defense gun!! just my two cents worth!!

Explain how a m&p compact acts like a revolver. A double action revolvers trigger is long and heavy enough that it's impossible to snag it enough to fire and nearly so to have a ND from a brief laps in judgement. Such is not the case with an m&p or any other semi-auto that doesn't have a comparative long heavy trigger pull. You're comparison would be more true if you said it acts like a single action revolver if you carry it around with the hammer cocked which obviously few advocate.

I discredit yourself by making such an obviously false declarative statement.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It has an internal safety that keep the firing pin from striking the primer unless the trigger is pulled, removing the safety. So, even if the firing pin somehow falls off the sear, it strikes the safety, and not the primer. I believe glocks and taurus work in the same fashion. Even Taurus DA revolvers have a similar setup.

A SA revolver cocked does not have this. If the hammer falls for any reason, it goes bang. Apple, and... well, maybe it's more like peaches and nectarines.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    It has an internal safety that keep the firing pin from striking the primer unless the trigger is pulled, removing the safety. So, even if the firing pin somehow falls off the sear, it strikes the safety, and not the primer. I believe glocks and taurus work in the same fashion. Even Taurus DA revolvers have a similar setup.

A SA revolver cocked does not have this. If the hammer falls for any reason, it goes bang. Apple, and... well, maybe it's more like peaches and nectarines.

I'm aware of that. However, we were talking about the possibility of something getting in the trigger guard be or stupid moment of lax safety practice. Either way that would negate the firing pin block now wouldn't it? With the exception of DA/SA guns, semi-autos have a short and light enough trigger for this to be a real possibility. Yet, if you're hung up on the firing pin block argument how about carrying a series 80 1911 cocked an unlocked? That have a firing pin block after all.

The point is that advocating carrying a pistol without a safety is a logically inconsistent argument. It is widely accepted as a bad idea to carry a long gun, 1911 or SA revolver ready to fire without a safety. Yet fancy modern pistols, carried in the same condition, are carried without a safety. See, rather than various fruits, it's comparing firearms that need a safety to other firearms that need a safety.

ETA: Some single action revolvers do have a hammer block. Rugers, for example.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Sorry for thread-jacking in advance ... and a little TL;DR

The point is that advocating carrying a pistol without a safety is a logically inconsistent argument. It is widely accepted as a bad idea to carry a long gun, 1911 or SA revolver ready to fire without a safety. Yet fancy modern pistols, carried in the same condition, are carried without a safety. See, rather than various fruits, it's comparing firearms that need a safety to other firearms that need a safety.

This is basically the same discussion that I was having a few days ago on the FNP writeup thread. I don't believe it's logically inconsistent, or as stated in the other thread an issue of "poor firearms handling." You're obviously coming from the perspective of someone who is generally opposed to Glocks, and someone who is more than likely partial to 1911s :D As such, you're are rightly defending what you are accustom to and feel comfortable with.

Probably one of the reasons that it's so widely accepted to carry a 1911 cocked and locked is that it is single action and come with triggers ranging from light to dangerous, depending on the owner :D The same goes for a great many bolt actions, and quite a few superposed shotguns. Rifles and shotguns that have drop safeties and an extremely light trigger are often carried with the safety on because of the fear of the light trigger.

I'm not convinced that a safety does anything more than introduce another step in the process of a negligent discharge. Even the name "safety" smacks of a sense of false security. The issue of long guns is no different for me, when sporting or doing any other shooting activities I do not engage the safety. If a weapon needs to be put into a "safe" condition, the chamber and magazine or cylinder are emptied and the action is left open. This leaves only the possibility of the safety being inadvertently engaged.

I wrote about W. E. Fairbairn and his opinions on the subject in the other thread. In his book Shooting to Live Fairbairn explains that he issued 1911s to the [STRIKE]Hong Kong[/STRIKE] Shanghai police when he was chief there. He also explains that all of the issued pistols had the safety pinned in the OFF position. His officers were instructed to carry the pistols with the hammer at half-cock. However this created the requirement of charging the pistol or cocking the hammer. For detectives and individuals, he recommended similar methods of carry. There are illustrations in his book that show revolvers with the front of the trigger guard cut away to just below the trigger. I believe that, though Fairbairn did not word it as such, all of these are attempts to make drawing and firing a pistol require only gross motor skills, and this meshes very well with his fondness for close range point shooting.

In a related note I was talking over this issue with a friend of mine who is an LEO. His department issued weapon was a USP compact in .40, which they carried in a Safariland SLS holster. The pistol must have the hammer decocked for the retention to move into place. He demonstrated that in unlocking this retention your hand moves down and slightly forward. If your thumb is resting on the holster or too close to the pistol, it guides the your thumb against the safety lever, and possibly engages it. This means you've drawn and inadvertently engaged the safety on a decocked pistol. He was well aware of the problem, the first time it happened he was on the range, and had trained accordingly to avoid it in the future, but who knows how something like that would play out if you were grappling for first come first served status.

:twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom