• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    I am looking for someone to help me scout the White River for camping / water access areas.

I regularly hit the sections between Anderson and Carmel.

I would really like to see if it is possibly to do a 5-7 day trip on the White. I think the big issue is getting all the way through Indy in a day. If anyone is interested in doing day trips to Scout this let me know.

There are a lot of secluded places that you could camp if you got in late and out early but I would prefer to find some legal places.

There are campgrounds on the White at Clare that you could easily use. I need to find something on the South side of Carmel where you can camp and get water.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I'm sure somebody on here lives in Indy along the river, or one of it's larger tributaries, or knows somebody who does. Maybe they would let you stop off and pitch a tent for the night.

As far as the southern part of Carmel / Fishers, most if not all of the property along the western bank belongs to the Carmel city water treatment plant or the various quarries, the eastern bank is Fishers and I am not sure who owns it. Although, there is a large unused (practically abandoned) wooded/grassy lot on the Fishers side before the 96th street bridge. It belongs to some strip mall developing company. Either way I don't think they would be too receptive.

There is a Carmel city park at 106th Street and Hazeldell on the Carmel side that has water access, but I am sure it is a dawn - dusk only park, but it wouldn't hurt to call the parks department and tell them your plans and ask for an exception.

Last edited:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I am looking for someone to help me scout the White River for camping / water access areas.

I would really like to see if it is possibly to do a 5-7 day trip on the White. I think the big issue is getting all the way through Indy in a day. If anyone is interested in doing day trips to Scout this let me know.

There are a lot of secluded places that you could camp if you got in late and out early but I would prefer to find some legal places.

There are campgrounds on the White at Clare that you could easily use. I need to find something on the South side of Carmel where you can camp and get water.

I might be up for that sometime. That's the sort of trip I'd like to do. At least a 2-3 day trip, like a weekend trip.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I started a new job this week and i have thursday and friday off. im planning on doing some kayaking on thursday, but near fort wayne.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Me and a buddy are trying to plan a late summer early fall trip from the 144 bridge in Waverly through Martinsville to Spencer or Worthington, just need to get the time and a little extra equipment to do it, plus find a canoe to rent or borrow for the weekend.

Man that was slow water when I did it years ago. I put in at Waverly and went to Henderson ford.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute

Do you have the Hays White River Guide Book? Lays out the entire East and West Fork in great detail. Breaks down the rivers in sections. Knowing where the upcoming dams are is very helpful.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Do you have the Hays White River Guide Book? Lays out the entire East and West Fork in great detail. Breaks down the rivers in sections. Knowing where the upcoming dams are is very helpful.

Is it pretty recent? The only things I have ever found are really out of date.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

You need to go down there where Harding crosses the white rive and spend a little while before you decide to trap yourself on the river in that area for hours. I wouldn't do it unless it's changed a lot in the last 15 years.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Is it pretty recent? The only things I have ever found are really out of date.

Its dated but the Dams are still there and major formations are still intact. I still find it useful and worht the 15 bucks for sure.

I agree with Jack Ryan about the slow moving water. If planning a trip like this perhaps consider a little two stroke to get you down through the stagnant parts.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    You need to go down there where Harding crosses the white rive and spend a little while before you decide to trap yourself on the river in that area for hours. I wouldn't do it unless it's changed a lot in the last 15 years.

Are you talking about the big rockfall dam thats down there or because of the scenery in the area? I figured as wide as the banks are there, there would be plenty of room to portage?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Are you talking about the big rockfall dam thats down there or because of the scenery in the area? I figured as wide as the banks are there, there would be plenty of room to portage?

I'm talking about where it smells so bad when you are headed south on Harding the stink doesn't get out of your car until you hit 465, where you look at the river from the bridge and I've seen brown foam on the river that looked like it was at least a couple feet thick on top of the water all the way across the river.

I've only crossed that bridge a couple times since '94 but prior to that I drove across it twice a day, every day for years and years. It could have changed but I'd know for sure before I trapped my self on it with a paddle.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Jack-
    You wouldn't be referring to the poo of 800 thousand people being discharged into the river after an eighth inch of rain would you? I just assumed everyone was so pumped full of prescription medications that they would kill anything in the river but the carp.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Sorry, I haven't read through but 3 pages, but My two favorites are Cave Country Canoes on Blue River and Turkey Run. I'm not sure how much I'd like to kayak on White river. :puke: I'm sure it's fun and all, but with all the nastyness in that river I couldn't get out and swim in it to cool off.

Also, has anyone been on a kayak trip where you could carry? :dunno:

I just got back from a trip down Blue River with some guys from work. Great way to spend an afternoon.

I love it down here. Even though most caves are privately owned, some are not and sometimes you can get the owners permission and enter some of the caves. :D

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Jack-
    You wouldn't be referring to the poo of 800 thousand people being discharged into the river after an eighth inch of rain would you? I just assumed everyone was so pumped full of prescription medications that they would kill anything in the river but the carp.

And the Catfish. I swear the ones I end up catching by the Washington street falls eat that stuff. Fun to catch for as big as they are, but damn they stink!!!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Why have you been on trips where you were told you couldn't?

I have a don't ask don't tell policy.
    ATF Consumer and I both carried on the trip in Brookville. Guns get wet but being they are an XD and a Glock it's no problem.

Because I can swim in the rivers at Turkey Run and Blue River. I can't in the white river. And what river you kayaking in at Brookville?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Sorry, I haven't read through but 3 pages, but My two favorites are Cave Country Canoes on Blue River and Turkey Run. I'm not sure how much I'd like to kayak on White river. :puke: I'm sure it's fun and all, but with all the nastyness in that river I couldn't get out and swim in it to cool off.

Also, has anyone been on a kayak trip where you could carry? :dunno:

I love it down here. Even though most caves are privately owned, some are not and sometimes you can get the owners permission and enter some of the caves. :D

I've always carried when I go canoing. Although we aren't stopping to swim either. We only get out of the canoe to drag it when it gets too shallow, or to get on shore somewhere.

Top Bottom