• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have talked about canning stuff in the past. Well we found a deal on chicken breast at Krogers and bought a bunch. It was a $1 a pound for chicken breast with bone in. We picked up about sixty six pounds. That made 40 half pints of packed chicken. We also got 30 pints of chicken soup. Then we ended up with 30 half pints of chicken broth. It took three days to cook and can it all. The remaining half of the sixty six pounds was frozen after removing the bones. So we also have 22 chicken breast in the freezer now.

That works out to about 100 meals for about a $1.00 each. Yes I know you have to add some veges to the chicken meals but they come from the garden so they don't cost us much either. Also we will have to add noodles to the soup when we fix it. That makes for a lot of cheap meals.

This is why I keep telling people that they need to can. You get to eat what you like and it saves you a lot of money.

After we finished with the chicken the wife decided to make some beef stew and can that. We used six pounds of beef and two of the big frozen bags of veges. We ended up with 14 pints of beef stew. That worked out to be about $2.50 a pint. A pint of this stuff will feed the two of us, it has that much stuff in it. Served over toast or noodles and that is some good eating. You can't find what we made in the stores at any price. It has all the stuff that we like and is spiced to our taste.

Trust me on this, you need to try it. You all have a great day.

Last edited:

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I could not agree more with you. we started canning last year, now we have a bunch of items in storage. almost any kind of meat you can name. chicken, hamburger, sausage, beef chunks, ham, pork loin, even bacon, and hotdogs. ham-n-beans too. we look for sales at local stores, buy in bulk, and can for hours. I don't know why we didn't do it years ago.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I could not agree more with you. we started canning last year, now we have a bunch of items in storage. almost any kind of meat you can name. chicken, hamburger, sausage, beef chunks, ham, pork loin, even bacon, and hotdogs. ham-n-beans too. we look for sales at local stores, buy in bulk, and can for hours. I don't know why we didn't do it years ago.

:bowdown:

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Canning chicken is the best. It's cheap, it holds its texture better than most meats and it always tastes great. I can it all the time and then make it into chicken and noodles. Tastes almost as good as how grandma use to make it. :)

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    you can also search pressure canning meat, on any search engine. we found many interesting things to try. most are very informative, some, not so much.we found 1 video that showed how to can beef chunks, potatos, and carrots all together. your own mini beef stew. the one on canning ham-n-beans was very helpful. great taste too, open it up, heat and eat. very handy for a quick meal.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    But you'll have to get one of those "assault pressure cookers." Get it now before the government regulates sale and possession.

And make sure you have good shelving - the kind that won't let the glass jars fall off if we get a little shaking from the New Madrid fault.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Ball book, Boned chicken is 10lbs of pressure for 75 minutes. This is for pints, if you do quarts or are at elevation you will have to adjust time and pressure.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a bit of a canning problem ... I can't stop. Late summer last year I became one of those evil preppers. I bought an All American 915 and have not looked back. My basement has beef, chicken, pork, ground beef. I can not wait for the farmers markets this year so I can do beans, relish, and pickles. Keep your eyes open for a used, vintage All American canner because they are easy to fix up. 3 weeks after I bought my new one I found a vintage 915 at a local flea market for $15. I spent $45 on a new gauge, vent, and weight and now I have a back up or can do 2 loads at one time. Do some research, look at the time and pressure charts and get canning!

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    Ball book, Boned chicken is 10lbs of pressure for 75 minutes. This is for pints, if you do quarts or are at elevation you will have to adjust time and pressure.

IMPORTANT! Sailor forgot the caveat, 10 pounds of pressure for 75 minutes IF you are below 1000' above sea level! After that you have to move to 15 pounds of pressure if you are using a weighted gauge canner (the only type I use, safer that way). If you have a dial canner there are corrections based on elevation to get what pressure to use. Failure to do this will fail to guarantee destruction of the botulism spores.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    All American recommends for Chicken 10psi for 90 min. At altitudes under 1000ft. Just did 24 pints two nights ago. For purchasing meat PM me for a web site to order hormone free.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    IIRC ball blue book is 75 minutes for pints or half pints, and 90 minutes for quarts. I think that is a pretty common recommendation for most meats.

Also, NEVER can with "IIRC"... ALWAYS look it up from a trusted source (ag extensions, or published current canning books, or .gov sites) each time

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Canned foods like this is my second layer of food storage...Usually my fridge and freezer are what I use first...but if I thought I was going to be with out power for a few days...I would start canning what was in my freezer....if you don't have a gas stove, turkey cookers work great.

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    gee thanks a lot survivalcookie. now I got the urge to can something. it has been a while since our last session. im going to have to look over the meat section at the grocery store tomorrow. might have to try the meatloaf. we done meatballs, and patties smothered in gravey a while back. they came out nicely.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    gee thanks a lot survivalcookie. now I got the urge to can something. it has been a while since our last session. im going to have to look over the meat section at the grocery store tomorrow. might have to try the meatloaf. we done meatballs, and patties smothered in gravey a while back. they came out nicely.

Anytime, same here...if anyone has any good recipes for canning please share.

Top Bottom