• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    About how long would you think the venison would stay good for if stored in a cool dry place in the dark. My friend that told me about it said she opened up a jar that was done 3 yrs ago and it was fine. Just curious on your thoughts?

I know the recommended shelf-life of home canned food is one year or less, but I would not be afraid to eat food after three years. Even food canned less than one year can be unsafe to eat. Just use common sense, check jar for leakage, unusual odors or colors, or mold. Make sure the jar is adequately sealed.

I have known of people using home canned food ten years old or more. Don't know that I would recommend it and can't imagine it was too nutritional or flavorful. (My Grandma never threw anything away. I know she consumed goodies I wouldn't have. Probably the worst thing was just the quality.)

Again, just follow common sense: store in cool, dark and dry location. Obviously, use the first in- first out inventory method. Of course, use the best quality produce to begin with. Sterilize the jars and lids. Pressure canner is the best option and I don't think a water bath method is safe for most canning especially meats or fish.

Just my opinion, but I think the (experts) often make this far more complicated than it needs to be. When I grew up everyone raised a garden and "put up" for the following year.

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    I know the recommended shelf-life of home canned food is one year or less, but I would not be afraid to eat food after three years. Even food canned less than one year can be unsafe to eat. Just use common sense, check jar for leakage, unusual odors or colors, or mold. Make sure the jar is adequately sealed.

I have known of people using home canned food ten years old or more. Don't know that I would recommend it and can't imagine it was too nutritional or flavorful. (My Grandma never threw anything away. I know she consumed goodies I wouldn't have. Probably the worst thing was just the quality.)

Again, just follow common sense: store in cool, dark and dry location. Obviously, use the first in- first out inventory method. Of course, use the best quality produce to begin with. Sterilize the jars and lids. Pressure canner is the best option and I don't think a water bath method is safe for most canning especially meats or fish.

Just my opinion, but I think the (experts) often make this far more complicated than it needs to be. When I grew up everyone raised a garden and "put up" for the following year.

Ok, thank you. We put out a garden every year and can and save alot of vegetables this way, plus there is nothing that taste better than a fresh mason jar of green beans in the middle of January. Thanks again.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    very interesting thread. Now, if I could just kill a deer...

I'm with you there. As for canning, the wife and I do it all the time (it's one of the ways we passed the time during last years ice storm). We canned 30 1/2 pints of cranberry-apple butter. This summer, we put back about 30 quarts of tomatoes; we won't need to buy any of those in cans this year.

A good reference for any canning is the Purdue Extension Service; just an FYI.

Top Bottom