• Total voters

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Ok I didn't realize that only came from brains. I thought it was human meat consumption in general.

BSE => CJD is strongly believed to be due to consumption of central nervous matter (brain & spinal cord).

What I have read about the perceived relationship between human cannibalism and CJD didn't stipulate that nervous matter was a requirement...it may be, just not mentioned in the limited literature I've seen on it.

Either way, eating long pig is bad ju-ju.

Death is preferable to some things. It will be less so if you see it as a termination rather than a transition.

Now, we never know until we are in the situation with some things, but I don't think I could...as a scavenger *possibly*; I can't imagine taking someone out for food, though.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Does cannibalism by accident count ? Like when a worker falls into the industrial meat grinder ??

It has happened and they won't stop the processing equipment. Some of us have already had some "sweet meat" and don't even know it. Get over it already.

Everything is in our head, including some moral dilemma with eating human flesh and hell yes I would eat someone to survive if it was the ONLY thing separating me from death. Okay, you eat a few worms and I'll eat Day Old Fred who we found frozen stiff 'cuz that 100 mile trek back to civilization is gonna be a real ***** on an empty stomach.

I don't "relish" the idea but a little BBQ sauce goes a long way. :banana:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Secondly, why does everyone say not to eat the brains?

Whats so bad with a lil' grey matter? :):
    It is the brains that will kill you. Don't eat human brains, central nervous systems or the fluids from either.

Is it a proven fact, not entirely but headhunters sure as hell had more of it then anyone else. What did they do? Eat people. Most of you will be dead so you won't even have to cross that bridge. As I said before, I will use your dead bodies as bait, kill and eat vultures, dogs, coyotes, and other scavengers before I eat you.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Stories from the government induced famines in the early Soviet Union show that people will resort to cannibalism with alarming regularity, including to the point of butchering their own children. May it never be so here.
    They say it happend during the seige of Stalingrad. No supplies were making it in on a regular basis. But meat would appear every once in a while and no one asked questions.

stryguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Indiana
    Sure cannibalism sounds horrible if you picture gnawing on a human leg but pop that liver out and some lite sauteing.. how would it be much different then a cow liver?

Now all this talk is just making me hungry. :):

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Aside from the brain, spine and fluids, I'd guess the human liver would be low on the "safe" things to eat. Especially in an already potentially polluted environment, the liver is a filter of the body --- you're eating the stuff that couldn't be poo'd out.

Or am I wrong?

stryguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Indiana
    Aside from the brain, spine and fluids, I'd guess the human liver would be low on the "safe" things to eat.
    Or am I wrong?

Sorry but while the simple understanding of the liver makes it sound like a filter, it is, in fact, not. The only thing that accumulates in a liver, man or beast, is heavy metals. Lead (Pb) and Mercury (Hg) are our 2 main concerns when consuming liver.

Determination of heavy metals in human liver. [Hum Exp Toxicol. 1992] - PubMed - NCBI

In a study on sudden deaths of humans it's found that Mercury is nearly nonexistant in the 44 cases studied, Lead was just slightly higher than acceptable levels of Beef liver.

The other major benefit of the liver is lowering exposure. Liver is so nutrient-dense that much less of it will need to be consumed to gain the same health benefits. The average adult male liver weighs 3 lbs and merely 1/4th of a pound should be consumed, actually consuming more is bad for your health as it's so nutrient dense. This means storage is simple as opposed to storing large body parts.

I promise you, the liver is probably the safest thing to eat out of the average human. You eat the guy's hairy back and I'll stick to the liver.

Anyway, this conversation has gone from funny to slightly disturbing :)

Top Bottom