• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    don't pull them. Encourages the roots to spread and grow. Hit with Roundup. Then do it again for the next set that pop up. Then do it again for the next batch that pop up. Then do it again for that next set. Took me that many times to get the ones out of my yard.

DO NOT PULL THEM!!!

To put the Roundup on them with other plants nearby, simply put some drops directly on the leaves. No need to spray.

But if I pull them quickly enough...and often enough... Then they'll just expend their stored energy more quickly and then get to the point of "not enough energy remains to grow a new plant"... I doubt that they absorb enough through their roots/rhizomes to do it. Gotta have leaves exposed to the sun for that good ol' photosynthesis...

-J-

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Kill 'em with fire.:flamethrower: But do it now. Too early in the spring will promote growth. Like most commercial herbicides, it will still take a couple tries, but hell, it's fun.:cool:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Last night I launched my first attack. With my hoe, I tirelessly (ok, I was really tired when I got done) chopped and hoed to up root as much as I could from our garden. I hauled off the remains into our burn pit and plan to kill them with fire after a few days of exposure.

I then went in with our tiller and tilled up the ground to hopefully chew up anything that was left. I know full well that also makes the dirt prime for additional weed growth, but I'm planning on an extended fight here.

I couldn't talk my wife into allowing me to use any chemicals on them ... yet.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I then went in with our tiller and tilled up the ground to hopefully chew up anything that was left

Roots go deeper than your tiller. You get an A for effort, but sadly, you just made it more hospitable environment for it's eminent return.

roots.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Roots go deeper than your tiller. You get an A for effort, but sadly, you just made it more hospitable environment for it's eminent return.

roots.jpg

Yep. But we can now see our squash and beens, and the soft soil will be much easier to hoe the next time. :)

A little sweat off my brow seems to make the vegetables taste that much better!

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    so no one else heard about cutting canadian thistles and they bleed out.. Just remember reading it from a ag column in a local news paper.. published by an older lady.. must have been in the early 80's. Did learn about just how deep the roots go.. great picture. and if you smoke them do they taste good, I prefer fish.....

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    so no one else heard about cutting canadian thistles and they bleed out.. Just remember reading it from a ag column in a local news paper.. published by an older lady.. must have been in the early 80's. Did learn about just how deep the roots go.. great picture. and if you smoke them do they taste good, I prefer fish.....

When I cut some of them off the other night with the hoe, they did definitely bleed a lot of the milky white sap.

Top Bottom