• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Just seeing if anyone has heard of this... read a long time ago that you can cut a thistle at a certain time and it will literally bleed to death. This was in a local newspaper in a column that a old farmer would post things in.
    I just was wondering when the time was.. I remember reading that it was a short time and dont remember when..Thanks, TIM

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    For the thistle that was in my veg. garden spot, I started to dab concentrated glyphosate on the leaves. But if you do that in the springtime, it usually kills the top and the roots will re-sprout. That's because the plant's living off the energy stored in the roots from the previous year. Then, you just keep after it and you'll get most of it by the end of the season.

It took me several years to get most of the thistle on my place, but I still find one here and there every year.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    We've got a batch in one of our flower beds. They came in on some fill dirt we had installed after we had some yew shrubs yanked out 4 springs ago.

They used to be confined to the bed - but now have started spreading to the yard. I pull every one that I can. I figure that as short a life span that the sprouted plants have - that they'll run out of energy to keep sprouting eventually...right? Please tell me I'm right... Too close to other plants for me to want to use any kind of herbicide on them. I put on the ol' leather gloves and yank 'em out.

-J-

st33da

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Greenfield
    You must be using a different Roundup than I do. Kills the one plant, but others come up from the roots.

This is pretty much my experience also. I have not had much luck killing them off and have resorted digging them out. A lot more work but seems to be the only way I can be completely rid of then.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    My other problem is from the plants that pop up from the bird feeder.. thistles and ???? cant spray them due to the wifes flower bed.. last year I "trimmed" the yard with round up and that worked pretty good but the MRS. didnt care for it. Has to be a balance somewhere.. The good clean fill dirt always comes with free weeds...bonus??

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Tried the stuff for woody plants like poison ivy? I hear that stuff works wonders. Yes, it takes a couple seasons but works better than the regular stuff.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    We've got a batch in one of our flower beds. They came in on some fill dirt we had installed after we had some yew shrubs yanked out 4 springs ago.

They used to be confined to the bed - but now have started spreading to the yard. I pull every one that I can. I figure that as short a life span that the sprouted plants have - that they'll run out of energy to keep sprouting eventually...right? Please tell me I'm right... Too close to other plants for me to want to use any kind of herbicide on them. I put on the ol' leather gloves and yank 'em out.

-J-

don't pull them. Encourages the roots to spread and grow. Hit with Roundup. Then do it again for the next set that pop up. Then do it again for the next batch that pop up. Then do it again for that next set. Took me that many times to get the ones out of my yard.

DO NOT PULL THEM!!!

To put the Roundup on them with other plants nearby, simply put some drops directly on the leaves. No need to spray.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    We had a very large Canada (not Canadian, they are not citizens) thistle problem in our yard. Tried for years using more and more roundup and mixing it stronger and stronger....nothing, they just kept coming back even worse.

I was on a quest..to get rid of it, googled like crazy, read all kinds of research papers and finally found the answer.

Lontrel by Dow.

You'll freak when you see the price, I sure did. It's close to $190 for a quart bottle. It was worth it too. Only need about an ounce for a couple of gallons in your sprayer. One application...gone, they never came back and it safe for grass and most plants (read the label). Sprayed the thistle in the lawn, thistle dead, grass perfect.

Yes it's crazy expensive, but I know I spent more for all the roundup I bought over the years.

If you are near Carmel, I still have most of the bottle, send me a PM, I could spare a few ounces, will trade for beer or better yet powder. :)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Barter on chemical spray I love the idea. Nothing like a good barter.

We we have them also. Near the house at the flower beds and a few in the yard. With an open field in the back it is just a battle I have to wage each year. Roundup works. Round up work. But they always seem to reappear. In the yard the round works better as the grass squeezes them out. The flower beds just get sprayed and pulled over and over.

Just one of the pains of life.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Barter on chemical spray I love the idea. Nothing like a good barter.

We we have them also. Near the house at the flower beds and a few in the yard. With an open field in the back it is just a battle I have to wage each year. Roundup works. Round up work. But they always seem to reappear. In the yard the round works better as the grass squeezes them out. The flower beds just get sprayed and pulled over and over.

Just one of the pains of life.

its crazy how well Lontrel works, sprayed once....they were gone, for good. I was glad I bit the bullet and bought it.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I was on a quest..to get rid of it, googled like crazy, read all kinds of research papers and finally found the answer.

Lontrel by Dow.

You'll freak when you see the price, I sure did. It's close to $190 for a quart bottle. It was worth it too. Only need about an ounce for a couple of gallons in your sprayer. One application...gone, they never came back and it safe for grass and most plants (read the label). Sprayed the thistle in the lawn, thistle dead, grass perfect.

Yes it's crazy expensive, but I know I spent more for all the roundup I bought over the years.

If you are near Carmel, I still have most of the bottle, send me a PM, I could spare a few ounces, will trade for beer or better yet powder. :)

ptime to order some!

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Maybe I need to bring over some beer. Do you like sun king brewery.

Still with that field of weeds behing the house I will be bringing you beer often.

I'm more of a Three Floyd's guy, of course Bell's Two Hearted is a fav too. Seriously, if you want to give it a try let me know, I can spare a couple of ounces. (Why does this sound like some kinda drug dealer?)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Flower beds get a few, I just pull 'em out.
    Maybe a twice a yr event.
    Got done taking out maybe 20 of them just a little bit ago (also clipped the dead junk from my rose bushes, removed two offending invasive trees and shot 60 arrows from my 60# recurve).
    I'm a little tired.................wish I had the foresight to have 3 Floyds at this time :(
    Eh, looks like basic domestics for me (but I do have venison about ready for the grill).
    Not a bad day.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    after using herbicide the returning thistle your seeing are coming from seeds that were dropped for many years in the past . some can lay in the ground 10 years. one plant can produce thousands that can be carried with the wind for miles. good luck lol.

Top Bottom