• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    LONG story short, I haven't been able to shoot for a while due to some health issues and I love cleaning my guns. I find it relaxing. Well, hubby is having a fit because I'm "polishing" (he says there is nothing left to clean) my revolvers at least once a week and they have not be shot since before Thanksgiving.

Is he right? do I need to get my OCD under control?

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Could always start a business if you enjoy it that much. I'm sure people will pay to have it done. I would think that unless you have a show piece that cleaning couldn't hurt it unless you are using abrasives or wire brushes a lot. I have been know to be FOS too though.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Could always start a business if you enjoy it that much. I'm sure people will pay to have it done. I would think that unless you have a show piece that cleaning couldn't hurt it unless you are using abrasives or wire brushes a lot. I have been know to be FOS too though.

I agree with this

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would suggest that the weapons in question exist for the purpose of furthering your contentment by whatever legal use you may enjoy. Polish away!

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I accidentally removed the blue from my Cooey 22 rifle. But that's because I wasn't watching what I was doing and used a harsh detergent when I shouldn't have. Of course I was much younger and much dumber!

bccorvette

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Reddington
    I think it is great. You are getting VERRY familiar with your weapon. This is important. If the gun is stainless don't worry about it. If it is blued, you can refinish it when you wear it all off.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I agree with this
    I agree too. You can never clean them too much as long as you aren't using harsh chemicals. In the military, we are always getting them dirty and cleaning again, and most of them are years old with no problems. Also, keeping them clean will help stop them from rusting/corroding as well. Its known as Preventive Maintenance.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't do it every week, but every couple months I'll get em out and clean them. I also find it soothing. Unless the dishes are getting 3 feet high in the sink...what's it hurt? Clean away. It's cheaper than drinking.;)

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Kitty, your health and piece of mind is more important than the finish on any handgun. I really, really would be surprised if you could do any damage, but if it makes you feel better do it.

I haven't cleaned my MP9 after the last two range sessions, I may need to swing bye and have a cup of coffee. :D

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Thanks guys! Hubby was teasing me that I shouldn't be able to use my gun barrel to "put on lipstick".

Good to know I'm not doing any damage, I love my revolvers. Hopefully I'll be released this Thursday - and be at the range on Saturday.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    As long as you're using quality tools to clean, you're OK. The only thing you'd really have to worry about damaging is the crown of the barrel muzzle, but this will only happen if you're using junk steel or aluminum rods.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom