• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Look up Havlin gunsmithing / refinishing.

He may do bluing. Just north of Brownsburg.

Havlin's Firearms Finishing

I've yet to have any work done by him, however.

He is an INGO member...

And the price quote I got for cerakoating a polymer pistol frame was quite reasonable.

-J-

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    What is of value to you? Some believe it hurts the original value of a seasoned firearm. If the gun is a shooter type(carried and shot/plink targets) do your choice. I bought a S&W M10 4in bbl, that looked like WWII. Internals were mint, finish was poor. I had a friend reblue it at a gunsmith shop, and it came out pristine. My $150.00 gun cost me around $175.00 to beautify, and inspect for firing. The S/N is around 1970-1976, very common issue( 10-5 w/ thin-skinny barrel). I had an orange insert installed in the fixed front sight to help my sighting, add extra $25.00. Who would value my investment more than me? I carry it on occasion in original issue Law Enforcement Leather, and have full confidence it will protect and serve my purposes, just like it was designed to. Your gun value? I surmise w/ original grips around $600-$700. Had an N frame once, heavy duty, I would reblue it and keep it. (does your's say "Highway Patrolman" on the barrel?

Note: My brother left a M25(45 long Colt) revolver in it's felt case in a storage garage, and it rusted beyond belief. Had it hard chromed by a Florida company and looks like stainless with a soft brushed finish. Beautiful job and saved a valuable S&W revolver. His bill was like $400.00 or something. He won't part with it.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    What is of value to you? Some believe it hurts the original value of a seasoned firearm. If the gun is a shooter type(carried and shot/plink targets) do your choice. I bought a S&W M10 4in bbl, that looked like WWII. Internals were mint, finish was poor. I had a friend reblue it at a gunsmith shop, and it came out pristine. My $150.00 gun cost me around $175.00 to beautify, and inspect for firing. The S/N is around 1970-1976, very common issue( 10-5 w/ thin-skinny barrel). I had an orange insert installed in the fixed front sight to help my sighting, add extra $25.00. Who would value my investment more than me? I carry it on occasion in original issue Law Enforcement Leather, and have full confidence it will protect and serve my purposes, just like it was designed to. Your gun value? I surmise w/ original grips around $600-$700. Had an N frame once, heavy duty, I would reblue it and keep it. (does your's say "Highway Patrolman" on the barrel?

Note: My brother left a M25(45 long Colt) revolver in it's felt case in a storage garage, and it rusted beyond belief. Had it hard chromed by a Florida company and looks like stainless with a soft brushed finish. Beautiful job and saved a valuable S&W revolver. His bill was like $400.00 or something. He won't part with it.

Thanks for the insight. It doesnt have original grips. I am going to look for some online but I hear they are pretty rare. I got it mostly as a hiking gun/truck gun when I am at my property in N. MI. not really as a carry piece but who doesnt like a pretty gun. New grips, blueing, inspection are all coming.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I have a model 28-2 that I got a couple of years ago. It was originally a blued gun, but now looks like this. I don't know if it was chromed or nickel plated or what as it was in this condition when I bought it. However, based on the serial number, I was told it was blue steel when manufactured and shipped by S&W. Whoever did the work on mine did an outstanding job. The lighting in the pictures do not do justice to how great this gun is.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    gvsugod, I have a friend, who lives one street over from me, he has been gunsmithing, for about 30 years... I re-blued my Ruger, in my avatar, and will let you see it, if you want ...

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have a Ruger red hawk built by Verne Trester 25 years ago. He sent it somewhere and had it hard chromed, and it still looks great after all these years.

Dave

1371MARINE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    The Region
    I am looking at getting a new wheel gun, and the one im looking is blued but its in pretty bad shape and I would probably have it re-blued. Since I prefer stainless or a satin finish can you take a once blued gun and make it that beautiful shiny silver?

No. You can have it plated, but that's a process whereas stainless is a type of steel.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    If you check out the latest addition of "The Backwoods Man" they have a very nice article on doing your own hot bluing and the chemicals that you need. It might be worth the $5.00 to go pick one up and have a read.

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    you can remove the finish and polish it to a chrome like finish but it will be very very time consuming imho i would reblue or trade out to a stainless revolver but that is up to you

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    After you remove every speck of oil, remove the the bluing and polish the gun, all you have to do to convert it to stainless steel is place it in a very warm water bath with a ratio of 8 parts water to 1 part table salt. After soaking for an hour, let it air dry overnight.

Top Bottom