• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I seem to recall some other thread about this, but I can't seem to find it, and I don't remember any definite conclusion, so here goes again.

Is it bad to keep magazines loaded over a significant period of time? My carry guns have full mags 90% of the time, and I worry slightly that the constant depression of the spring will prove harmful.

Anybody know? :dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yes, you can keep mag springs compressed indefinitely.

Mag springs fail more by the action of loading and unloading.

I'll find the link you were looking for. . . .

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Even I can answer this and I am new here.

Do a search I googled it about a year ago and that is how I found this place if I remember right.

Everybody has an answer and an argument on this subject, I keep mine full and ready some say minus 1 or 2 some say empty.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've heard a lot from both sides. I've also heard of people digging up GI .45 1911 mags from WWII still loaded that cycle perfect! Every mag I own is always loaded (except my glock 33 rnd mags only have 30 rnds in them. haha) I've only been shooting for about 4 years now but I haven't had any issues. I've heard advise to change out your springs every 5 years or so to be safe.

HOWEVER, anyone else is welcome to comment adversely, that's only my $0.02, no studies!

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Doesnt hurt to keep them loaded. In combat ours are always loaded and even in civilian life mine stay loaded. What usually causes problems is the cleanliness of the mags. Treat your mags like your firearms and do proper maintenance and care.

Shep79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Bainbridge
    Spring steel becomes weaker the more they are cycled. Mag springs, constantly compressed are actually stronger than springs in mags that are constantly cycled.

edg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    1 o'clock on the 465 dial
    The best description I have read comes from the Seecamp website from Larry Seecamp himself. Here it is...

Does keeping a magazine loaded weaken the magazine spring?
    More stress is probably placed on a magazine spring by shooting only one full magazine at the range than in keeping the magazine completely loaded for ten or twenty years.
    The shock absorbers on a car or truck are not likely to suffer much damage if the vehicle is kept stationary ~ regardless of the load to which the shocks are subjected. Putting the car on a lift when it's parked won't do much to prolong the life of the shock absorbers.
    If, however, the vehicle is taken for drives on very bumpy roads, the shocks become stressed and may in time suffer enough damage to warrant their replacement.
    Magazine springs, similarly, are insignificantly stressed by keeping the magazine loaded. They are much more stressed when the pistol is fired. Unloading the magazine, rotating magazines, etc., is akin to parking a vehicle on a lift to spare the shock absorbers.
    Magazine springs are one length when they are first wound. They take on a set and their extended length becomes shorter when they are compressed manually to their solid height. This second extended height is the same whether the spring is very briefly compressed to solid height or held completely compressed for a year.
    Shooting a single magazine through the pistol will shorten the magazine spring beyond the above mentioned second extended height, whereas keeping the spring compressed for a year will not. Shooting hot or heavy recoil producing ammo puts more stress on a magazine spring than shooting lighter loads. It is the bumpier road.

Seems reasonable to me.
    edg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ros, you'll be fine. I have shot mags that have been loaded for decades (Colt 1911 mag).

However, one never knows when a mag will fail (usually right when you need it).

Pssst, this is a clue to carry extra magazines!!!

Sometimes the bottom falls out.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    ros, you'll be fine. I have shot mags that have been loaded for decades (Colt 1911 mag).

However, one never knows when a mag will fail (usually right when you need it).

Pssst, this is a clue to carry extra magazines!!!

Sometimes the bottom falls out.

I have had one magazine fail as shown above, while I was shooting. Keep extra mags.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I keep my mags loaded for about six+ months, then I remove the bullits and reload them for another six months or so. Why this? I love to play with my stuff and it keeps me busy at nights. LOL

Keeping them loaded all the time is fine.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    I just know that you want to leave out the last round or so of the maximum capacity.

Mags are often designed to squeeze in that last round even if it will only barely fit. The last round, then, exerts a disproportionate amount of pressure on the mag spring and frame, and over time this can reduce the speed and effectiveness of the mag. :noway:

I know that it is not uncommon for SpecOps guys to leave out the last round in each mag. In the SAS memoir Bravo Two Zero, for example, the author dedicates a good paragraph or two to this practice, detailing how each AR mag they carried had only 29 rounds in it instead of 30, as a way of ensuring reliable performance out there behind enemy lines. :yesway:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    The reason you leave one round out of a mag is because if you reload on a closed bolt, some mags will not latch tight because of the tension of the last round in the mag. If you leave the last round out, there is enough movement room for the mag to latch in tight.

Had nothing to do with wearing out the spring.

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    All this is good to know.

But, my question is to these mags:

beta_mag_ar15magbig.jpg

Even though there are multiple springs, each spring (essentially) has the pressure of 50 rounds against it. Is this similar to the static state suspension mentioned above?

There's also a 90-rounder that i have that is one drum, with one spring. The manual states 'do not load more than 85 rounds', so there may be some truth to the load capacity of the spring within the magazine.

Top Bottom