• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Hi Ingo,
    I want to apologize right now because I believe this will turn into a long post. I purchased a S&W Model 19-2 snub nose today. I took it home and cleaned it and then I went to the backyard to put some rounds through her (I live on a small farm). I loaded it up with 38 special reloads and shot the first cylinder in single action and double action. I loaded the cylinder again and encountered problems. For some reason double action mode in my revolver no longer works. I can pull the trigger and the cylinder turns, but the hammer doesn't move at all. Single action works fine. If I work the double action five or six times the action locks up and the only way to free it is to open the cylinder. I am not familiar with all of the smaller parts these revolvers have, I was wondering if anyone here might know what the problem could be. If worse comes to worse I was thinking about making the trip out to Rochester next week to Sand Burr shooting range to see if the smith there can work on it. Does anybody have any feedback about him or would it be better for me to send it back to Smith. They still work on their older guns. Any input is appreciated, thanks

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Denny at Sand Burr is well known and well regarded nationwide for his work on S&W revolvers. I will recommend Denny without reservation.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    :+1: on Sand Burr, good folks and they know their guns. Take some ammo targets and a stapler too to use on their ranges...and maybe another gun...or do that when you pick up your new and improved firearm.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    does Sand Burr machine? I need to have a cylinder bored out. I have a 327, no longer made nor supported, that won't take the round due to the circumference of the hole being slightly out of spec. If so, how do I contact them//him?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    It almost sounds like the indexing hand (whatever you call it) isn't fully engaging with the star on the back of the cylinder to correctly index to the next round. Depending on round count, that indexing hand that makes the cylinder turn when you cock the hammer/pull the trigger can wear down. Long story short... kind of sounds like a timing issue?

[video=youtube;KFbsSKdvImQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFbsSKdvImQ&list=PLYesTYrZe0JBd0mfwisbMay6 iFrXOp1lU[/video]

There are lots of little parts under the sideplate. I've heard great things about what Sand Burr can do, and it's safer than having little springs fly all over your work bench.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I think I will be alright. I will ask them about what I need and see then do it if I can afford to now. Sometimes I have to save a bit before I can do what I wish.

Do not believe the derogatory comments about Denny at Sand Burr. He is a straight shooter (political correctness be damned) and probably one of the best, if not THE best S&W gun smiths around. Period! I've known Denny for years and have had him work on my S&W revolvers, which function flawlessly and shoot like the hand of the Shooting Gods are aiming my revolvers. I've got chuckar hunting with Denny and he is a great gun guy and fun to engage in conversation. You will not be disappointed in his work.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I called the shop today. A woman answered the phone, she wasn't abrasive. I told her my problem and she told me the turn around time would be 6-8 weeks. They do have an expediency fee, which is 25% of the cost for repairs. If the fee is paid the turn around time is 7-10 business days. I am torn if I just want to have the gun sent to Smith and have it back in 3 weeks or pay the fee and help out a local business. How are his prices for repairs?

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Have Denny fix it, he has more to offer than Smith Wesson does. You never know what you will need down the road. He is open every day but Monday. You are just an hour away from his shop. It is worth the trip, even if you elect to go with the Smith shop. Good luck

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    How far from Terre Haute is this? I am way south near Interstate 70 and sometimes, when my back is out, I can't do much travel.

Myproblem revolver is a Ruger but the problem is the cylinder hasn't been bored out to spec so it won't accept the round, just slightly small and I usually let Ruger deal with things but they have tended to replace my 327's with different calibers lately rather than fix the weapon for me. I really like the revolver other than the problem, feels nice and looks great. I love single action stuff which is why I tend most towards Ruger because I can't really afford to buy antiques.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How far from Terre Haute is this? I am way south near Interstate 70 and sometimes, when my back is out, I can't do much travel.

Myproblem revolver is a Ruger but the problem is the cylinder hasn't been bored out to spec so it won't accept the round, just slightly small and I usually let Ruger deal with things but they have tended to replace my 327's with different calibers lately rather than fix the weapon for me. I really like the revolver other than the problem, feels nice and looks great. I love single action stuff which is why I tend most towards Ruger because I can't really afford to buy antiques.

We work on Smith & Wesson Revolvers Only
    Dennis O. Reichard, Smith & Wesson Armorer

Top Bottom