• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    I was checking the serial #'s on my dad's Combat Commander the other day to get the mfg date and discovered a small hairline crack in the frame as you can see circled in the included pictures. I'd like to get any advice INGO members may have as to how much a crack like this effects the weapon's functionality and safety, as well as any means possible of repairing the problem if possible. I understand the most simple solution would be to purchase a new frame but as this is an older model I would like to repair it if it can be repaired. Or possibly gauge what kind of value it may have in this state. I'm thinking it may be a really good looking paperweight at this point but I'm hoping somebody can tell me otherwise.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The crack appears to be in the dust shIeld. If so, it has no impact on function or safety. The entire dust shield can be cut completely off the frame and the pistol would function just fine.

It can be welded, but if it was mine, I wouldn't spend the money.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Wow! that's bad news, It's right there where the slide bumps to a stop, there can't be a lot of stress right there, only impact from the slide and that is buffered by the recoil spring. Overpowered reloads? Maybe the recoil spring was shot for many years? how does the slide look where it draws back and stops against that area? is it battered?

I'm not a gunsmith but if it was a motorcycle part I would have a welding shop weld it then I would grind/buff it out. I have had more difficult repairs done on various Yamaha parts...... It's just the fact that it is a gun that makes it more scarey.

As far as finding a welding shop that will work on a firearm, I don't know...... People think that a gun is special...... Not just another piece of machinery. It can't hurt to shop it around to small welding shops. There used to be a guy in Lawrence that I KNOW could fix that right up but that was years ago and he was old then. You probably should have it magnafluxed the very first thing just to see the whole extent of the damage that cannot be seen yet.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If there is a micro-welder that someone knows, that would be the ticket. I used to deal with a guy in Rhode Island that had a contract with the Groton Boat guys and he was terrific. But, I'm pretty sure he retired.

Top Bottom