Can someone educate me re: range membership at ACC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    I've been needing to find a closer place to shoot. I live in Carmel/Westfield, and I normally shoot down in Shelbyville. My wife's family has some property down there so it's pretty low key, but it's a hassle getting down there and it usually turns into an all day ordeal because of visiting with family and whatnot.

I drove up to Atlanta Conservation Club today, mainly to see how long it takes to get there and see how it's set up. The drive was cake, it took 30 minutes door to door even with some construction going on halfway up 31.
    From what I could tell the place looks nice, unfortunately there was nobody there at all so I only got to see it from the street.

I'd like to find out more about the range, and I'd like to find out more about getting a membership.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a longer range rifle area, or just the front ranges? It looked like there might be a longer distance range behind the berm for the front ranges, but I was unable to see what was back there.

2. I see on the website that dues are $100 annually. Is there any type of family discount, or would it be $100 per family member? My wife shoots, but not as often as I do. I would like for her to be able to shoot without me if she wanted to, but that probably wouldn't be more than a few times a year.

3. The membership requirements state that I'll have to shoot or help in 2 events first before being approved. I have no problem with that, and I understand how it gets the existing club members acquainted with new potential members to see that they're safe and responsible. Looking at the club calendar though, the next event is IDPA on June 4th, which is a day I already have plans for (told the wife I'd take her to the 1500). The following two would be on June 11th and 12th, SASS and Multi-gun respectively. I could make it to one of those but that's my wife's Birthday weekend so I can't be gone both days. That leaves the Steel Challenge match on June 18th as the soonest I'd be able to make it to my second event.
    I'm not sure how long approval takes after the 2 events, but it's looking like it would be a month from now before I'd be able to use the range at my leisure. :(

The website states that the requirements can be waived by the board. I don't want to be the guy that asks for special treatment or tries to circumvent the rules, but if there was something I could do instead of attending 2 events to expedite the membership approval process, and be shooting sooner, I'd be all for it. For example if there was a clean-up day or a painting day or whatever that I could help with that would be sooner than the middle of next month.

I've got the rest of the requirements covered- I've got a valid Driver's license, LTCH, and I just renewed my long-expired NRA membership. I also have no doubt that I'll pass the safety tests. :)

Mods, if this is posted in the wrong section, please feel free to move it. This seemed to be the section with the most threads about ACC but I didn't find any that touched on these questions.

Thanks!

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Out of curiousity (being that I am not familiar with the area or ACC) I googled it. I was promptly taken to their site, which I then clicked on the Membership Info, and read everything that you described. I think that everything that you asked and have queries about would be best answered by the gentleman who put all of his contact info at the top of the Membership Info Page. I don't mean to be rude, but he would probably be the best qualified person to ask about the ACC, despite the fact that he could very well be on INGO, and even if he is, he probably checks his email or his phone before hopping on here after work! Hope you find the answers that you are looking for and a place to shoot that you enjoy and suits you!! Best of Luck!

Edit: After poking around a little more on their site, it looks like they allow 3 guest visits per year from a single guest (such as your wife) to shoot before they will ask her to join as well. Also, they appear to be setting up a booth at the 1500 so you could chat with some of the club members and I would be fairly confident that the gentlemen in charge of new membership would be there trying to promote the club. Talk to them and see how the crowd feels. Hope it all works out!

Last edited:

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    While I'm not a member (yet; really need to), I think the $100 is a family fee (plus a 1-time $25 for gate key/scan card). No, there is not a longer rifle bay. There are 3 more bays on the back side, but they are also 25-30 yards. Hope this helps, Greg

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    G_Stines, I agree that an email (or even a phone call) would be a more direct approach, and one I'll likely pursue. It was about midnight when I posted, I figured someone here who knew might be up. Mainly I thought that since I had some questions that I couldn't find answers to on their site, that other people may have the same questions (or other ones) and if they were answered here it could save them the trouble of asking. I'd guess there are plenty of people in my area that don't even know that there's a nice range just North of us, and further discussion of it might promote more membership as well.
    I didn't see that they were planning to have a representative at the 1500, that's good news. If nothing else at least I'll be able to introduce myself and get any further questions answered there.

Grizhicks, if that's correct about the family fee that's awesome. The news about no longer rifle bays isn't what I was hoping for, but it's not a deal breaker either.

Thank you both for your input, I appreciate it!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/grizhicks.html

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Check out www.atlantacc.net the membership info tab. Most of your questions are covered there and if not the membership coordinator will be glad to discuss it with you.

ACC will also have a booth at the Indy 1500 but that is more about general range info. Specifics to your schedule etc are better handled by the membership coordinator.

The $100 covers family "living with you" basically your household, not everyone in your family tree ;) So your specific question of spouse is definitely covered. No we dont have a rifle range. 35 yards (diagonal on bay 8) is the longest currently available.

Good luck. Hope to see you at the range some time soon!

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Treetop, if you're looking for slightly longer ranges for a rifle then you might want to try Hamilton County Fish and Game in Noblesville. They have a rifle range, as well as a pistol bay. Add in that it's also a bit closer for you.

Hamilton County Fish & Game - Welcome!

Thank you for sharing that, I have been looking for a range around here and didn't know HCFG had rifle bays.

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    msquared, thank you for confirming that the membership fee includes immediate family. That's a big plus. I'll contact the membership coordinator with my other questions.

mrjarrell, Thank you for reminding me about HCFG. I looked into it a while back, I was discouraged because of needing to go to 3 club meetings before being able to be a member- the club meetings are only once a month, which would put me at 3 months out before I could use the range at my leisure. The bold statement on their site saying that dues had to be paid by the march meeting had me a little confused also.
    The next club meeting is only a week away so I may try to make it out anyway. I might even head over there tomorrow just to see what I can find out.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with memberships to any of these ranges, otherwise I could go along as a guest to at least check them out from the inside.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    msquared, thank you for confirming that the membership fee includes immediate family. That's a big plus. I'll contact the membership coordinator with my other questions.

mrjarrell, Thank you for reminding me about HCFG. I looked into it a while back, I was discouraged because of needing to go to 3 club meetings before being able to be a member- the club meetings are only once a month, which would put me at 3 months out before I could use the range at my leisure. The bold statement on their site saying that dues had to be paid by the march meeting had me a little confused also.
    The next club meeting is only a week away so I may try to make it out anyway. I might even head over there tomorrow just to see what I can find out.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with memberships to any of these ranges, otherwise I could go along as a guest to at least check them out from the inside.
    It's not just 3 meetings. It's three events. Could be 1 meeting, a clean up and IDPA or just about any combination of things. There's usually something going on there at any given time that would get you in the door a lot faster.

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    That's good news. The membership page says "Attend Three (3) Club Meetings", which is what I was going by. If I can use other functions in lieu of the meetings, I could probably be active a lot sooner.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    That's good news. The membership page says "Attend Three (3) Club Meetings", which is what I was going by. If I can use other functions in lieu of the meetings, I could probably be active a lot sooner.
    Yep. But, you would still have to make it to at least 2 meetings. First one to get rolling, then an event, then the next meeting to get "voted" on, (I've never seen anyone not voted in). Takes about a month, all told.

KCJarman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Noblesville
    I've been needing to find a closer place to shoot. I live in Carmel/Westfield, and I normally shoot down in Shelbyville. My wife's family has some property down there so it's pretty low key, but it's a hassle getting down there and it usually turns into an all day ordeal because of visiting with family and whatnot.

I drove up to Atlanta Conservation Club today, mainly to see how long it takes to get there and see how it's set up. The drive was cake, it took 30 minutes door to door even with some construction going on halfway up 31.
    From what I could tell the place looks nice, unfortunately there was nobody there at all so I only got to see it from the street.

I'd like to find out more about the range, and I'd like to find out more about getting a membership.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a longer range rifle area, or just the front ranges? It looked like there might be a longer distance range behind the berm for the front ranges, but I was unable to see what was back there.

2. I see on the website that dues are $100 annually. Is there any type of family discount, or would it be $100 per family member? My wife shoots, but not as often as I do. I would like for her to be able to shoot without me if she wanted to, but that probably wouldn't be more than a few times a year.

3. The membership requirements state that I'll have to shoot or help in 2 events first before being approved. I have no problem with that, and I understand how it gets the existing club members acquainted with new potential members to see that they're safe and responsible. Looking at the club calendar though, the next event is IDPA on June 4th, which is a day I already have plans for (told the wife I'd take her to the 1500). The following two would be on June 11th and 12th, SASS and Multi-gun respectively. I could make it to one of those but that's my wife's Birthday weekend so I can't be gone both days. That leaves the Steel Challenge match on June 18th as the soonest I'd be able to make it to my second event.
    I'm not sure how long approval takes after the 2 events, but it's looking like it would be a month from now before I'd be able to use the range at my leisure. :(

The website states that the requirements can be waived by the board. I don't want to be the guy that asks for special treatment or tries to circumvent the rules, but if there was something I could do instead of attending 2 events to expedite the membership approval process, and be shooting sooner, I'd be all for it. For example if there was a clean-up day or a painting day or whatever that I could help with that would be sooner than the middle of next month.

I've got the rest of the requirements covered- I've got a valid Driver's license, LTCH, and I just renewed my long-expired NRA membership. I also have no doubt that I'll pass the safety tests. :)

Mods, if this is posted in the wrong section, please feel free to move it. This seemed to be the section with the most threads about ACC but I didn't find any that touched on these questions.

Thanks!

Not sure if this thread is dead yet, or if you got your answers. I am a member and can explain some of these questions.

1. Is there a longer range rifle area, or just the front ranges? It looked like there might be a longer distance range behind the berm for the front ranges, but I was unable to see what was back there. No rifle range yet, although you can shoot any caliber you like as long as it is semi-auto. There has been talks for a few years about installing a 100yrd range.

2. I see on the website that dues are $100 annually. Is there any type of family discount, or would it be $100 per family member? My wife shoots, but not as often as I do. I would like for her to be able to shoot without me if she wanted to, but that probably wouldn't be more than a few times a year. Your membership is good for your whole immediate family. Your wife can come as many times as she likes. Non-family members can come up to 3 times a year. No sign-in board.

3. The membership requirements state that I'll have to shoot or help in 2 events first before being approved. I have no problem with that, and I understand how it gets the existing club members acquainted with new potential members to see that they're safe and responsible. Looking at the club calendar though, the next event is IDPA on June 4th, which is a day I already have plans for (told the wife I'd take her to the 1500). The following two would be on June 11th and 12th, SASS and Multi-gun respectively. I could make it to one of those but that's my wife's Birthday weekend so I can't be gone both days. That leaves the Steel Challenge match on June 18th as the soonest I'd be able to make it to my second event. As soon as you have been safety checked and turned in all required paper work (0btained from the new member coordinator) and paid all your fee's you will be issued your gate pass. You still will need to work at least 2 events.

This is how things worked in my membership. Hope to see you there in the near future!!!!

Kyle

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    KCJarman, thank you for the additional clarification.

mrjarrell, HCFG has their monthly club meeting tomorrow evening. Can I just show up unannounced to that, to get the ball rolling? Is there anything I'd need to bring?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    KCJarman, thank you for the additional clarification.

mrjarrell, HCFG has their monthly club meeting tomorrow evening. Can I just show up unannounced to that, to get the ball rolling? Is there anything I'd need to bring?
    Just bring yourself! Nothing needed at that first meeting. Eventually, you'll need to show the membership secretary your LTCH and an NRA card #. That's it. Just remember to go real slow down the dirt road to the range (off Edith). The neighbours can get right testy.

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    Atlanta's Board of Directors meeting is tomorrow evening, the calendar states it's open to all members. Is this also open to potential members?

You could go, but don't expect too much. Mostly it's all bidness and little else. You might get safety sign-off and gate pass if dues are paid.

If it's not far of a drive, go (that's what I'd do).

Top Bottom