• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have AK47 (not 74) and a couple of flavors of AR in 5.56. AK is a wartime design, not great at anything but pretty good at everything. It's made for drunk peasants or ignorant jungle yokels to run out with no support or supply. AR is an industrial economy's peacetime design, precision engineered and demanding. In support, I'd take the AR. SHTF, once the AR craps out I'd grab the AK. For target, or while civilization exists, AR. For keeping myself alive, or hunting when there are no more stores, AK. If you can't get both now, AR; when you can, get both and a lot of ammo.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    definitely the AR. You can change it from a close quarters battle rifle to a long range sniper rifle just by switching out accessories. The AR platform offers thousands of options in a single rifle, just try not to use them all at the same time.:ar15:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    the only way one can decide is really go to a range and play with both and then pick which you pefer ak's are more accurate than most give them credit for and ar's are more relible than most people give them credit for.... basicly which one do you like better.... but as IndyK im a AK fan so i will not trash and praise ether rifle over the other... but if buget is a little tighter that might be a deciding factor

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Have some goodly amount of time on both I will give you my :twocents:.
    AK platform- Battle proven, extremely reliable and simple enough that just about anyone with at least 2 brain cells rubbing together can effectively operate the thing. Ergonomics aren't bad, but not perfect either. Like any other firearm it is a mechanical device and subject to the laws that govern such items. They can and have broken and when they go down they are a bear to fix.
    AR platform- A very ergonomic gun fighting platform that takes a bit of discipline and training to run efficiently. Highly accurate and reliable but can be finicky if you don't take care of it, and the issue mags can wear out in more than one way. If you do your part and play with it enough to learn it's quirks it will serve you very well, and if the parts are quality will be as reliable as the AK. Being of a modular design it is easier to adapt to what you want, and is much, much easier to fix if it should break.

I love my AKs, but in all honesty I am better with the AR.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    All right different manufactures aside. The question is I have been looking at and can decide next purchase. Should it be an AR15 or an AK-74. What are the Pros and Cons. Those that have both which do you like best. Usually I am not so indescive. Please help. :dunno:
    Well, an orange will help give you a lot of vitamin C and help keep scurvy at bay, but an apple will keep the doctor away. Both rifles are good in their element, so the question is what element do you wish to have the rifle help you through? I think I'll just monitor this thread for a while to see who wins, the AR boys or the AK boys.:popcorn:

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    hey planemech, I posted a poll for you to look at, but in the end, you really need to shoot both weapons to see which one fits you better.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I don't have to hump hundreds of rounds through the desert or jungle and I currently have the luxury of not crawling through mud with my rifle..two considerations. The AR platform, for me is the most comfortable, but I like bigger bullets. maybe .308 or 6.8spc in an AR platform. Really a very personal choice though like posting a picture of two women and asking which would be a better wife

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Just for fun, plinking and for SHTF when the zombies attack (lol). Budget is about a $800 to $900. Want a 16.5 inch barrel in an AR if it wins. I do tinker with my guns (that's the aircraft mechanic in me.) Ammo both types can be found cheap so no issue here. Just wondering which do guys like best and most fun to shoot. Range I use is around 200 yards. Wish I could buy both but can't.

If you want to tinker with it get an AR. They take less specialized tools to work on and you can do more with them due to the modular nature. If you decide to reload you have a lot more options in 5.56x45. There are basically no options for 5.45x39. Palmetto State Armory sells kits that you just add a lower receiver to finish. You can build a good, basic, chrome lined AR for $600-700. Good mags are easier to come by and a few dollars cheaper than the AK74.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    OP, have you bought your Palmetto State Armory AR15 yet?

20110915114804.jpg
    20110911132329-1.jpg

ylwfever69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have both but I like shooting the ak more than the ar. I like sticking the custom parts on my ar though. I have pretty much just left my ak stock but it seems like I see something different for my ar that I just can't live without every other week. With your spending amount you could have a pretty sweet at though.

Top Bottom