• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I am sitting here thinking, I live on a quiet country road.

If I saw 3, 4.. maybe 5 guys coming down the road with AK47s... what would I do?

Keep cutting the grass?

Frankly I think I would probably hop off, go inside, grab the AR, and camp out by the front window till I figured out what they were up to.

Thats just probably what I would feel most comfortable doing.

Because carrying rifles openly down a street just isnt normal, so you you cant expect people to act like it is, untill it IS normal.

I will have a abnormal response to a abnormal situation.

It would be very foolish, and awefully trusting of me to just keep cutting my grass, with no idea what these gun toting fellas were up to.

Because chances are they are just walking down the street to go shoot and have a great time.

But there is also that "Other" possibility, and thats the one that I worry about.

Just thinkin out loud.

how they are carrying would say a lot.. a group of guys with rifles on shoulder just walking along road...
    ot group with rifles in hands, walking spread out in a formation.....

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    how they are carrying would say a lot.. a group of guys with rifles on shoulder just walking along road...
    ot group with rifles in hands, walking spread out in a formation.....

You are probably right. Still, I probably would NOT just carry on doing what I was doing, putting myself completly at the whim of their trigger fingers wether I live or die.

I just wouldnt. I am too paranoid for that. I would definatly arm myself with a long gun at the ready and a phone to call the cavalry close by.

Wether that makes me a subject, or a citizen, I dont know.. but I doubt I would just stand there and wave.

The world is just crazy enough these days, you gotta take the side of caution.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sorry. I don't see the similarity with what the OP was talking about.

Yeah, mine doesn't have a magazine (tube-fed). Since I don't have a sling, it was on my shoulder. Other than that...

He just wanted to know if a long-gun was legal to carry slung on his back, as he walked down the street. It is perfectly legal, and several of us have done so.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Good luck getting a LOT of support. Too many "2nd amendment supporters" are too afraid to come out of "cyber annonymity" and be put into possible media spotlight. Some people simply like to complain about their rights being taken away and not willing to do anything about it in a legitimate sense.

I hear ya... I'm all for a march. I say we do it through downtown Bloomington... I'll hand out the Citizen complaint forms to everyone hassled by any uninformed LEOs!

I stayed quiet and sheep-like for too long... Now, I'm getting to the point of being very vocal about my rights.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    You could legally, however, you might end up like this guy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUd_00Xrf_U"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUd_00Xrf_U[/ame]

This guy part 1

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLmp_J5COzA"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLmp_J5COzA[/ame]

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

If I saw 3, 4.. maybe 5 guys coming down the road with AK47s... what would I do?

Keep cutting the grass?

Frankly I think I would probably hop off, go inside, grab the AR, and camp out by the front window till I figured out what they were up to.

Because carrying rifles openly down a street just isnt normal, so you you cant expect people to act like it is, untill it IS normal.

It would be very foolish, and awefully trusting of me to just keep cutting my grass, with no idea what these gun toting fellas were up to.

Because chances are they are just walking down the street to go shoot and have a great time.

But there is also that "Other" possibility, and thats the one that I worry about.

Just thinkin out loud.

I'd probably wave, and keep cutting the grass.

Actually, I think I've done this before. Not guys with AKs (I don't think), but it was hunting season. I think they had permission to hunt the fields back behind the neighborhood, and decided to just walk.

As singlestacksig mentioned, HOW they are carrying tells it all. In my example above, it was 3 guys in camo with long guns (shotguns, likely) just walking down the street all casual-like, mid-morning on a Saturday.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    You are probably right. Still, I probably would NOT just carry on doing what I was doing, putting myself completly at the whim of their trigger fingers wether I live or die.

I just wouldnt. I am too paranoid for that. I would definatly arm myself with a long gun at the ready and a phone to call the cavalry close by.

Wether that makes me a subject, or a citizen, I dont know.. but I doubt I would just stand there and wave.

The world is just crazy enough these days, you gotta take the side of caution.

but are you OC while mowing?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I'd probably wave, and keep cutting the grass.

Actually, I think I've done this before. Not guys with AKs (I don't think), but it was hunting season. I think they had permission to hunt the fields back behind the neighborhood, and decided to just walk.

As singlestacksig mentioned, HOW they are carrying tells it all. In my example above, it was 3 guys in camo with long guns (shotguns, likely) just walking down the street all casual-like, mid-morning on a Saturday.

Well that would be a different deal, if they were dressed to hunt, it was hunting season, etc.

That WOULD be normal.

I would be ok in that situation as well, because my brain would say "Those are hunters, its hunting season, all is OK."

I think my brain would say "Code Blue" if it WASNT hunting season, they werent wearing camo, and they had non-hunting guns.

But my brain is a little paranoid about being the least armed guy in the room. ESPECIALLY around my home, where all my earthly possesions are, my kids, wife etc... I got a lot to protect here.

Last edited:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    but are you OC while mowing?

Sure but its just a pistol.

Once rifles come out in your neighborhood its time to up your game yeah?

Rocket launchers start showing up in the neighborhood I guess thats a good enough excuse as any to get my own rocket launcher :)

Just keepin up with the joneses.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Sure but its just a pistol.

Once rifles come out in your neighborhood its time to up your game yeah?

Rocket launchers start showing up in the neighborhood I guess thats a good enough excuse as any to get my own rocket launcher :)

Just keepin up with the joneses.

Make you a deal. You buy me one as a gift, and that'll give you a great excuse to buy one for yourself. :rockwoot:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Make you a deal. You buy me one as a gift, and that'll give you a great excuse to buy one for yourself. :rockwoot:

I have made worse deals to get a purchase past the wife. :)

617MJBSSyKL._AA1280_.jpg

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun

Keep cutting the grass?

Just thinkin out loud.

You make a very good point here and I agree with you (and the follow on posts). If it was hunting season and a few mossy Oak guys walked by heading to the woods with shotguns I wouldn't think anything of it. Now, summer, shorts, T-shirts, and AK's... I'm going to take notice. Yes they haven't done anything wrong, but I'll likely prepare some. I think if you didn't do this many here would accuse you of having poor SA, and setting yourself up.

This got me thinking though. I'm not getting to in-depth here and I'm sure this will get taken out of context, but the only difference between what we said we'd do and what LEO's seem to do (change the circumstances any way you like: MWAG walking down street, in a gas station...etc) is LEO's actually make contact. The more I think about it should we be more or less bothered if approached by LEO and asked for LTCH. Not harassed, "educated", detained... and so on. I mean hell, the LEO is just keeping his SA at it's peak, discovering whether he's amongst criminals or law abiding citizens and preparing as we said we would.

I'm lucky, I have never been stopped or questioned or even asked to produce an LTCH, but assuming it will happen eventually. Now as long as everyone is polite and fast, should I be bothered by the contact or give the officer kudos?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If the officer just wants to say hi and chat for a minute, (to see if you are nervous, unbalanced, etc,) I wouldn't have a problem with it. And I'd be ok with him asking to see my ID and LTCH, but if it goes further than that, you're bending over and grabbing your ankles.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    The only thing that disappoints me with the guy in the video is if he hasn't filed harassment charges on the local PD yet. They stated they knew who he was and that he was doing nothing wrong. Yet they still detained him. It's a shame so many pro 2A people think that by never exercising their rights they won't lose them. However if you hide them in the background and don't let anybody know you have them they will be safe from being taken away from you. And yet, if you replaced the AK with a person of a different race or religion I would think (or at least hope) you would all be appalled at the incident. Rights are rights. There's no difference.

If the officer just wants to say hi and chat for a minute, (to see if you are nervous, unbalanced, etc,) I wouldn't have a problem with it. And I'd be ok with him asking to see my ID and LTCH, but if it goes further than that, you're bending over and grabbing your ankles.

So as long as he only violates your rights a little bit and let's you go you're good with it. To me, using your analogy, it would be more like bending over and grabbing your ankles but refusing to kiss him when he's done. (This is not a personal attack. Just my view on your analogy.)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom