• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    922 applys to " centerfire rifles " NOT rimfire ......

Have you read the statute? There are two exemptions, neither is applicable to rimfire guns. There is also no restriction stating that the law shall only apply to centerfire firearms. So what statute or case supports your position?

SBR or Title I has no bearing on whether or not it's non-sporting.

Perhaps, but not necessarily...

Anyways, I think I've registered my opinion. Bottom line, ATF will approve your form 1. Whether the end result w/o further modification is a legal firearm is not determined by an approved form 1. Simply put, proceed at your own risk.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Have you read the statute? There are two exemptions, neither is applicable to rimfire guns. There is also no restriction stating that the law shall only apply to centerfire firearms. So what statute or case supports your position?

Perhaps, but not necessarily...

Anyways, I think I've registered my opinion. Bottom line, ATF will approve your form 1. Whether the end result w/o further modification is a legal firearm is not determined by an approved form 1. Simply put, proceed at your own risk.

In light of your opinion could you address my question about the Umarex 416 .22 that comes imported with MOST of the evil features: pistol grip, flash hider and collapsible stock. If 922(r)'s prohibition extended to rimfire, how the heck does ATF allow this rifle to be imported?

Also please explain how making an SBR would remove an otherwise legal rifle from the "sporting purpose" exemption. Do you have any citation to back this up or is this merely an opinion stemming from an abundance of caution?

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    In light of your opinion could you address my question about the Umarex 416 .22 that comes imported with MOST of the evil features: pistol grip, flash hider and collapsible stock. If 922(r)'s prohibition extended to rimfire, how the heck does ATF allow this rifle to be imported?
    It's no different than any of the other tacticool .22's that are presently imported. Clearly they are permitted in the condition in which they are imported. My point is simply that 922(r) does not have an exemption for .22's. No one has yet pointed to an applicable exemption in the United States Code. All I can conclude is that ATF has determined the weapons are fit for sporting purposes & therefore legal to import in their present configurations. When you make a SBR you construct a new firearm. Is that new firearm legal?

Also please explain how making an SBR would remove an otherwise legal rifle from the "sporting purpose" exemption. Do you have any citation to back this up or is this merely an opinion stemming from an abundance of caution?
    ATF has approved the firearms in the condition in which they are imported. If you read the operable statues it is evident that the same firearm, if an SBR, would likely not be legal to import. It would also not be legal to construct, absent adding sufficient US parts.
    Read the statues & come to your own conclusion.

18 USC 922(r), (d)(3); 26 USC 5845(a)

Top Bottom