Can I loan a gun to an out of state friend? for his CCW test?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Fail.

In MI they don't call it registration, but a 'safety inspection'. EVERY pistol must be taken to the state police so that they can record the serial number and other info about the pistol. Also I believe in MI one cannot loan a pistol to someone who does not have a CCW.

Safety inspection has been done away with. It is very recent. Not sure if they track via the purchase permit thiugh. I ;ll ask my friend.

BTW from what I read on the MSP site it will be legal to laon it to him AFTER he has a CCW. So I can't do it for him in this instance.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Safety inspection has been done away with. It is very recent. Not sure if they track via the purchase permit thiugh. I ;ll ask my friend.

BTW from what I read on the MSP site it will be legal to laon it to him AFTER he has a CCW. So I can't do it for him in this instance.
    Right. I haven't taken the Michigan CCW test, but my brother did and he told me it was ridiculously easy. I think you posted that your friend has a gun, but he wants to borrow yours because he shoots better with it. He should have no problem with his own gun as long as he can hit a man-sized target at 7 yards. If he can't, he shouldn't be carrying that gun.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Right. I haven't taken the Michigan CCW test, but my brother did and he told me it was ridiculously easy. I think you posted that your friend has a gun, but he wants to borrow yours because he shoots better with it. He should have no problem with his own gun as long as he can hit a man-sized target at 7 yards. If he can't, he shouldn't be carrying that gun.

OK. Thanks for confirming. Hheis able to do that easily. We were shooting out to 10 yards and he had a plate sized grouping and a few called head shots. I think he's just a little embaressed about the HP .380:).

He's been shooting about 7 weeks. Seems to have the basics down.

Can you also confirm my iterpretaion of the inspection being done away with?

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    IANAL: I did live in Michigan up until a few years ago and if memory serves me right:
    In the past a Michigan resident would go to their local police station to get a purchase permit. Once they had the PP, they would then go and buy the handgun. the seller would keep a copy, the buyer would then take two copies back to their local police station. The police station would then inspect the gun and keep a PP copy and give one to the new owner.

With the new law, the buyer gets a form of some kind. The seller keeps a copy and the buyer just sends it to the state police.

Before it was a safety inspection but really it was a "registration”

Now it is a registration.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    IANAL: I did live in Michigan up until a few years ago and if memory serves me right:
    In the past a Michigan resident would go to their local police station to get a purchase permit. Once they had the PP, they would then go and buy the handgun. the seller would keep a copy, the buyer would then take two copies back to their local police station. The police station would then inspect the gun and keep a PP copy and give one to the new owner.

With the new law, the buyer gets a form of some kind. The seller keeps a copy and the buyer just sends it to the state police.

Before it was a safety inspection but really it was a "registration”

Now it is a registration.

OK. Now I get it. I did read it right but they've been sneaky.

Unless it's just that the police want to keep the bill of sale for your own safety.

Top Bottom