Can I get some opinions on a few 1911 choices?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Hello,
    I am currently looking for my first 1911. I have a spending budget of no more than $700.00 (not including transfer fee). My wife thinks I am spending only $500 so spending too much more has to be justified. I am looking to maximize the quality of the purchase as much as I absolutely can. Accuracy and reliability need to be as good as possible within the budget. Also it would be nice to start with a 1911 that is worthy of upgrades. I have found a few Para Ordinance GI Expert models that looked nice. Reading reviews on Taurus 1911's are mixed. Rock Island Armory is another consideration, but also produces mixed reviews. I found a few Springfields very base models as well. What do you guys think?
    Also, do you think it's better to buy a quality used gun or a factory new gun of lesser quality?
    Thank for your opinions, Joshua.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Base model Springfield.....GI model. Para's are hit or miss, you might get a good one, you might not. And I personally don't care for any of the RIA's or any other makes made in the Phillipines.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    In that price range, you can be the proud owner of a very nice used Springfield, even one of the nicer ones (loaded) instead of the base model. Bought mine used and have been extremely happy with it in the short time I've owned it. It too, was my first 1911. There are some other good manufactures out there in your price range, though I'm not experienced enough (actual hands on) with the 1911's to voice much opinion yet. Bought my loaded springfield 1911 for $800 used, hogue wrap around grips, ext beaver tail, beveled mag well, etc for that price, just have to be a little patient to find someone selling what you want.

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    I didnt like that the Para's in my price range did not have the skeletonized trigger. I have shot a Para 40 sw 1911 that I rented at the gun range. It felt good to me, but I want know that I am getting the best quality the first time. Thanks for your feedback. Joshua

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I would stay away from RI and Para, Springfield at a bare minimum.

But thats just me.

I would look hard at the new Range Officer. Seems to be a quality gun.

red91vert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Westside Indy
    Springfields are great guns to start with if your going to modify or add too. If you are going box stock and leaving it that way then the Taurus is not a bad choice but as you mentioned the reviews are mixed. I actually own a Taurus and have been fortunate that it has been completely reliable and very accurate. There are many used guns that are worthy consideration from springfield, s&w, sig, kimber, etc. Good Luck

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Is the Springfield Mil-Spec a decent 1911 to start with? I have found numerous stainless models in my range new in box.
    Does anyone have reliable suggestions for websites offering used 1911's?

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Thanks a ton guys. I really appriciate it. I have always had better luck in life considering others opinions and experiences before making a choice. I'll let you know what happens. Joshua

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Paras are hit and miss, as mentioned. Their GI Expert tends to be a bit better than their double stack series, from what I have seen, in the reliability department. They have been as good as many of the RIAs I have seen come out to the range. Realistically, for the same quality level of parts, but better finish, the Para does not win out in the "value" side of things between the two. Take a small hit on finish and save some serious money for mags/ammo/practice by getting the RIA over the Para.

Personally like the Taurus PT1911s, but alot of folks don't for several reasons: The series 80 safety, the generally poor finish that wears rapidly (but a prime candidate for refinishing), and Taurus' generically bad rep for bad QC. In general, the Taurus offers a forged instead of cast frame, the barrels are generally decently fitted and slides are fitted okay. For the money, they aren't a bad 1911.

The biggest problem with Taurus 1911s in my experience is that everyone gets kneejerk reactionary when the gun won't feed this, or won't do that, or "isn't reliable". The pack that buys the Taurus (from experience as a range officer) also tend to not clean the gun before going to the range, contributing to failures, nor do they break a 1911 in properly. Everyone of the ones I have personally had have no issues. Instead of jumping up and down, cussing Taurus, try different mags/ammo. From my experience, those factory Taurus "Novak" lookin' mags suck big time and have contributed to almost all the failures I have seen (outside of one gun, which had a poorly made barrel, which Taurus fixed).

Of the three choices: If you aren't particularly mechanically savvy, RIA would be the best (less parts to horse with, like the Series 80 safety). If you want to beat it up, the Taurus (due to frame and great barrel IMHO), but count on maybe replacing parts in the future (as might be the case with all the 1911s listed in the OP).

Get a Springer, better materials, better fit and finish...

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I don't know why the STI Spartan has not been mentioned here yet. For that price the STI Spartan and the Desert Eagle 1911 are really good guns, A lot of people don't like Desert Eagle (and I have no experience with them myself) because of the chrome bevertail, but I own a Spartan and I love it. It is a very nice shooter and has really good slide to frame fit for a gun in that price range. I paid $630 for mine plus a $20 transfer so $650 out the door. Do a quick Google search on them and you will find that they are great out the door 1911s.

444HPD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Hamilton
    I would go for a base model Kimber, the Custom II, it was my first handgun and I still have it, its been modified since then but I'm also a Kimber fan; the only way to know what would be best for you would to be to actually go out and shoot a few and determine what one performes best in you opinion. Also idk how far away you are from South Bend/Elkart area, if not to far away I'd go to Midwest Gun Exchange they have a very wide selection of weapons there, just about one of everything from every different company.

phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    I was in the same boat. For < $700.00 you can go with a Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911. Very good reviews of the 1911 forums. Another choice would be a Kimber Custom II. It may be hard to get under your price range but it is close. If you have a military ID or LEO/FIRE or EMS Buds offers pretty good discounts. That can get you in somethng a little better.

Scott

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Come on with the para bashing. I own two, and aside from petty issues, such as finding which ammo each likes to eat, and the thin finish, mine both are great guns. My edc is the para carry 9 lda in 9mm, will not shoot 115 gr hardball without issues but will eat 147gr JHP without a hiccup. I can live with that. And my BBQ gun is a para slim Hawg in .45 acp. It was picky on ammo for break in, but will eat anything now. Excellent customer service. IMHO they are just as good as any kimber, or Springfield. Get just as nice of a gun for several hundred less. Don't get me wrong kimbers and springfields are nice too, and there are several of each I'd love to own. I do not like the double stack stuff though from para. I would watch the classifieds here and pick up a nice used gun VS buying new. Most people here are honest and can tell you what their gun likes and dislikes before you buy it. I love used guns, more then new ones.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Looks like a Colt 1991A1 just went on this forum for $675 20 minutes ago. They sometimes come up around $550. It could be a solid choice. This one may draw chuckles, or even indignation, but you might consider picking up a Norinco for $350 and sending it to a smith for $250 worth of work and you'd come out with a real shooter, albeit one with limited resale value.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    If your going to go Springfield then I would go with the Mil Spec model, it already has the upgrades on it that the US Army went with during the life of the service 1911 vs the GI 45 model.

But being a Kimber fan I've got to give a shout out for their Custom II :rockwoot:

Top Bottom