• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    The girlfriend and I are leaving on a weekend trip down to the Cincinnati area. We will be visiting some museums, the zoo, dinner, etc. However, we will be staying the night across the river in Florence, KY. I would like to be able to be able to have my XDm with me, at least for the hotel room. I know I can carry in KY, and I know that I can NOT carry in OH. My question is, am I able to take my weapon with me?

If this helps, our itinerary will be drive from Kokomo to the Cincinnati Zoo. Then we will head to the hotel for check in in Florence, KY. After that, we are heading back to Cincinnati for dinner. Back to hotel for the evening. Next morning, check out, then back to Cincinnati for more stuff, then head back home.

Also, if I am able to take the firearm with me, any laws/regulations in KY that one may overlook? I have the legal heat app on my iPhone and have been looking over it for a while. Just want to make sure I am not forgetting anything.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Should be good to go as long as your gun's unloaded in the trunk with unloaded mags while you are in Ohio.

You can carry, OC/CC in KY, and their carry regs are pretty similar to ours. Sorta remember that you can't CC in a bar, but I could be wrong about that one.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Should be good to go as long as your gun's unloaded in the trunk with unloaded mags while you are in Ohio.

You can carry, OC/CC in KY, and their carry regs are pretty similar to ours. Sorta remember that you can't CC in a bar, but I could be wrong about that one.

Yep... Be sure to unload your mags if they're with you when you're in OH.

You can also leave it in your hotel room...if you dare.

I travel to OH often to visit my outlaws. Everything's always unloaded, all semi-auto handgun mags are always unloaded, and ammo / firearms stored in separate cases.

-J-

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    Thanks for the help guys! I didn't know magazines needed to be unloaded, I just thought stored elsewhere away from the gun. That's good to know. Guess I will be stopping at the closest exit before and after entering/reentry.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For the experts who have commented on this thread about carrying in Ohio, would you have time to post your advice on carrying in OH if one has a Florida permit that is valid and recognized in Ohio?

I recognize it is a thread jack, but I think it is sufficiently related that it might be allowed and of interest to the community. If not, no problem.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the help guys! I didn't know magazines needed to be unloaded, I just thought stored elsewhere away from the gun. That's good to know. Guess I will be stopping at the closest exit before and after entering/reentry.

Not all states have this requirement...

IL doesn't, from my understanding.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Not all states have this requirement...

IL doesn't, from my understanding.

True, Illinois does not require unloaded mags. In fact, they can also be in the case with the gun.

Ohio considers loaded mags as a loaded gun.

I think they also have some law about mags that hold >30 rounds being a machine gun or some stupid thing like that. =/

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Thanks for the heads up. One more thing to be worried about.
    It's fairly well marked on the way to the zoo, but getting back to the interstate gets a little dicey if you're not paying attention. I haven't been there in several years, and it may be better now, but we wound up going way out of our way getting back to the good side of the river. I would plot a course out before going, it'll save you some time.:yesway:

samwathegreat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    I have FL permit, and a friend has AZ permit (which is cheaper and has same number of states)

We can both carry into Ohio. A good resource is usacarry.com - they have a map of the US - you just click the states you have permits in, and it shows you which states you can carry in. Also shows you how to apply for the various states' permits that issue non-resident permits. Florida, Arizona, and Utah are the only way to go. AZ is cheapest by far.

Good Luck

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I always thought the Cincinnati zoo was worth the drive vs the Indianapolis one, but I haven't been to either for some time. You might check out the Hofbrau Haus across the river, and there's an excellent aquarium right across the street from it. They even have penguins, and for some money you can have "penguin encounter" where you get to meet one personally. There's a very nice restaurant floating on the river as well.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I learned at a gun shop the other day they are now giving classes in IN. that allow you to get a Utah permit which accepted in Ohio along with a few additional states that do accept Indiana's. Something to look into.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I learned at a gun shop the other day they are now giving classes in IN. that allow you to get a Utah permit which accepted in Ohio along with a few additional states that do accept Indiana's. Something to look into.

Yeah, this has been going on for a while now. Utah's permit is a good one. Lot's of places to get training. AZ is another one that's easy to get, cheaper than FL and may get you the states you want, including OH.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Something to keep in mind RE the Utah permit: Utah's law recently changed to disallow the permit to anyone who does not already hold a permit/license in their home state.

Shouldn't affect many INGOers, but it might.

-J-

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Thanks for the heads up. One more thing to be worried about.

Also, unless you are traveling with a platoon of Marines and have artillery support, stay out of the Over-the-Rhine area which is the near north side.

It's been 10 years since I've lived there but that area was very bad.

Some other suggestions:
    Be sure to try Montgomery Inn ribs if you have a chance and are big on ribs. The original is one in Montgomery, OH (hence the name) which is just north of downtown but there also used to be one on the riverfront called the Boathouse. Tremendously good ribs and other meats including steaks.

You will also want Grater's Ice Cream. Insanely good stuff. Never had anything close to being as good.

Lotsa nightlife across the river in Newport, KY if you are into the bar scene. Also for night life, the Mt. Washington area is nice which is the near east side. It's easy to get lost in and around Cincy due to all the hills and curvy roads, so have a good map...a GPS would probably help too.

You might wanna check to see what is going on in the city to see if you want to avoid it or not.

Have a good time and be safe.

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    Just got back into town from down there. We had a great time, but it was, like always, too short.

We went to the zoo, Montgomery Inn Boathouse, Newport Aquarium, and the museum complex. We wanted to do the Ride The Ducks tour on the river this morning, however, the river was shutdown as of early this morning due to a missing 17 year old (link to story 17-Year-Old's Body Found in Ohio River - :: Cincinnati news story :: LOCAL 12 WKRC-TV in Cincinnati )

Of course, after we left the zoo, the GPS didn't know where we were so I just started to drive to get us out of there. It wasn't that bad, but knowing that everything is separated and locked up just sucks. We were also told that Over the Rhine has some great architecture, however, to stay away from the area due to how bad it still is.

I also hate to say it, but the food was great at Montgomery Inn Boathouse and the view was spectacular last night. I did have some ribs, and they were good, but this sign left a bad taste in my mouth :dunno:

DSC05120.jpg

However, we had a great time on the trip and once again, thanks for the help!

Top Bottom